Fairly Odd Parents, Season 10 - News & Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rouge

Charming Grandmaster
It's only a guess. For all we know, Paulsen could have just posted that for kicks. It would be cool if the "dudette" mentioned was the Mystery Girl, though!

Toonatic

Like the previous season, I'm willing and ready to give this season a chance.

Getouttamylab!

Was a coiled up attack snake before it was cool
I still holding out for the fact that season 10 will at least be a marked improvement over Season 9. At this point there's nowhere else to go but up, unless the series decides it likes staying in the bottom of the barrel, or worse, decides to bust a hole in the bottom and keep falling.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
More Stupid Men Being Stupid (CROCKER!!!)..... I can't handle this. I CAN'T HANDLE THIS!

*Sobs Heavily* I'm going back to Uncle Grandpa!! *Sobs Heavily*

SaneMan

I still holding out for the fact that season 10 will at least be a marked improvement over Season 9. At this point there's nowhere else to go but up, unless the series decides it likes staying in the bottom of the barrel, or worse, decides to bust a hole in the bottom and keep falling.

personally, I predict they will burrow through the center of the earth, burst out on the other end of the planet, and fly-off into the endless depths of space

Lord Beckett

Cute and Mean
I promised myself I wouldn't be a chicken little when it came to this cartoon, but I lied.

This just looks really bad. You've got more Crocker everywhere. That episode plot doesn't look interesting at all... its another rehash of an earlier episode where Timmy's mom was a secret agent.

Mark Chang, okay, he can be funny sometimes, but he appeared a lot in the last season too and it didn't do much to save it, his episodes were equally forgettable.

Is Hartman even going to show his face at SDCC this year? I know he dodged out of last years. I'm guessing the crowds were getting smaller and smaller and only filled of people who just think he'll bring Danny Phantom back (and not mess it up as badly as he's done this cartoon).

Rouge

Charming Grandmaster
Dang son. You are not pleased easily haha

Anyway I found this on Hartman's twitter. Not much, just another piece of another new episode.

Rouge

Charming Grandmaster
Hartman's involvement in anything has been dwindling significantly for the past year or so. Maybe there's been lot of personal issues he's had to deal with? I don't know, I'm just glad he's getting a little better at giving us updates on the show.

Also, he likes the Minions. That's probably the best summary of what his sense of humor is like.

ShadowBeast

At this point there's nowhere else to go but up, unless the series decides it likes staying in the bottom of the barrel, or worse, decides to bust a hole in the bottom and keep falling.
Careful, Butcher will likely take that up as a challenge to go down farther.

SaneMan

Dang son. You are not pleased easily haha

Anyway I found this on Hartman's twitter. Not much, just another piece of another new episode.

All those people asking about Danny Phantom just make me face-palm so hard

THAT SHOW IS NEVER COMING BACK!
Not to mention, season 3 was already unwatchable

Lord Beckett

Cute and Mean
The sad truth is that Hartman feeds off those delusional people. Be it the DP fans who think their show will ever get revived or the people who say "oh I cant wait!" when Hartman posts a storyboard to another Crocker episode.

I've seen him respond to criticism maybe once or twice, and they were just polite deflections (e.g. sorry I couldn't please you etc etc) but taking the moral high ground only works when your product isn't a steaming pile of magic dog poo. Surrounding yourself with sycophants and living in a dream world where your number one cartoon is still beating Spongebob in the ratings and not regarded as a laughing stock across the animation business is why the product looks like it does and why it hasn't change a single iota despite these complaints being common place for 8 or so years.

Rouge

Charming Grandmaster
The sad truth is that Hartman feeds off those delusional people. Be it the DP fans who think their show will ever get revived or the people who say "oh I cant wait!" when Hartman posts a storyboard to another Crocker episode.

I've seen him respond to criticism maybe once or twice, and they were just polite deflections (e.g. sorry I couldn't please you etc etc) but taking the moral high ground only works when your product isn't a steaming pile of magic dog poo. Surrounding yourself with sycophants and living in a dream world where your number one cartoon is still beating Spongebob in the ratings and not regarded as a laughing stock across the animation business is why the product looks like it does and why it hasn't change a single iota despite these complaints being common place for 8 or so years.

Wait, has anyone in the animation business ever said anything bad about the show? Or is this an exaggeration? I'm genuinely curious.

It's good to remember that Hartman or another associate has once said something along the lines of "[FOP] is proof that old cartoons still work." Which is a ludicrous statement because, well, they don't. Maybe to a small niche of cartoon buffs, but to the general audience? No way. Modern cartoons as a whole are incredibly more nuanced in every aspect than they were 10+ years ago and that is why they are relevant. The animation industry is ever changing, ever improving, right along with the vast public. It has to be in order to survive. Yet, Hartman's brand of humor and writing, if not outright bad, definitely doesn't work because the public's tastes just aren't the same anymore.

Another gripe about the show is that it's trying to be completely comedic when it's already shown that it can have deep, ambitious plots and dimensional characters (Channel Chasers is still remembered because it resonated with a lot of people.) The writers are making the show something it shouldn't be. If you abandon one style for a completely different one, people are gonna be upset. If they wanted to have its current style work, they should have never tried to make the early seasons like they were.

One reason The Amazing World of Gumball works is that it never tries to be something it isn't. Sure, it has a couple of profound episodes like "The Shell" and "The Friend", but at the end of the day it's a show that's lighthearted and episodic, and it knows it. On top of that, it makes sure its humor is good. FOP can't even claim that.

Last edited:

Oldtoons3

Banned
Hey haven't Nick officially confirmed about Season 10 yet, its obvious that that more episodes are being produced.

Lord Beckett

Cute and Mean
Wait, has anyone in the animation business ever said anything bad about the show? Or is this an exaggeration? I'm genuinely curious.

Aside from the near universally panning online of recent things like S9, the live action movies, and the decline of quality all around since Poof, a few other cartoonists have taken swipes at FOP before.

John K used to regularly use out of context screencaps to show whatever insane animated ranting he was on because it didn't look enough like Looney Tunes. Krisofski hates most modern cartoons though, and did this since this show first took off, so I don't count him.
Jhonen Vasquez has also taken a few jabs at things like FOP's movies and games which flopped. I was more shocked to find out this guy was still alive when he made that blog a few years ago though.
Alex Hirsch had this to say once...
I felt like there were shows out there like, say, The Fairly Oddparents, where, “Oh, every week the kid wishes for something and the fairy godparents make it true,” and the show is so bright and wacky and the characters are so bright and wacky that nothing is real and therefore nothing is magic. It doesn’t feel like magic, it just feels like silliness. -Alex Hirsch
http://www.avclub.com/article/comedy-showrunners-week-alex-hirsch-on-the-real-in-85801
I think he was essentially saying that its predictable. He's also taken shots at the 11-minute format and non-episodic cartoons in general, but that was more aimed at Spongebob in that particular other interview. Unlike the other two bozos above, I actually respect Hirsch and his opinion; and his point, as well as the rest of Rouges, demonstrates the general growing disdain for slapstick, overly predictable aimless cartoons that don't actually tell a story or are afraid to throw rocks in the pond.

Most telling though is that this show gets nominated for Daytime Emmys (not even Primetime ones anymore) and thats mostly just a courtesy, Nickelodeon sends out tapes for just about all its animated programs and FOP gets nominated because its its the perfect palooka for whatever Dreamworks thing is actually going to win. If it can't even win a Daytime Emmy over that stuff, it's clear that no one respects it in the industry anymore, not even Viacom's toadies.

DHB8008

Aside from the near universally panning online of recent things like S9, the live action movies, and the decline of quality all around since Poof, a few other cartoonists have taken swipes at FOP before.

John K used to regularly use out of context screencaps to show whatever insane animated ranting he was on because it didn't look enough like Looney Tunes. Krisofski hates most modern cartoons though, and did this since this show first took off, so I don't count him.
Jhonen Vasquez has also taken a few jabs at things like FOP's movies and games which flopped. I was more shocked to find out this guy was still alive when he made that blog a few years ago though.
Alex Hirsch had this to say once...

I think he was essentially saying that its predictable. He's also taken shots at the 11-minute format and non-episodic cartoons in general, but that was more aimed at Spongebob in that particular other interview. Unlike the other two bozos above, I actually respect Hirsch and his opinion; and his point, as well as the rest of Rouges, demonstrates the general growing disdain for slapstick, overly predictable aimless cartoons that don't actually tell a story or are afraid to throw rocks in the pond.

Most telling though is that this show gets nominated for Daytime Emmys (not even Primetime ones anymore) and thats mostly just a courtesy, Nickelodeon sends out tapes for just about all its animated programs and FOP gets nominated because its its the perfect palooka for whatever Dreamworks thing is actually going to win. If it can't even win a Daytime Emmy over that stuff, it's clear that no one respects it in the industry anymore, not even Viacom's toadies.
Have you actually watched the Dreamworks shows? They are actually very good, I prefer FOP though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

CNC
today's my birthday, but it's more of a "sad birthday" than a "happy birthday" to me, because I'm still having a mental breakdown over my past. ugh.
Asa wrote on wonderfly's profile.
With the Omicron variant spreading in South Africa, do you think it's a good time to reopen the COVID-19 discussion board or are you going to keep it closed for good?
This special is worth it just to see Ben Schwartz rap about latkes.

someone once told me that the Korean language is like if the Chinese and Japanese languages melted into each other and came up with something different
The Loud House > Riverdale

Featured Posts