Ever met Anyone who worked for DC and WB?

Parker-Shepherd

Just out of curiosity has anybody here actually met Bruce Timm or anyone else who worked on DC animation projects?

I've met: Paul Dini, Bruce Timm and Phil Bourassa at comic con 6 years ago. They were all very nice and their advice for anyone interested in working in animation is invaluable!

Last edited by a moderator:

Parker-Shepherd

He used to be pretty active on this forum during the Jl/JLU days.

Nowadays he lurks and very rarely posts.

Oh, wow. Interesting. I know Phil Bourassa mentioned Bruce Timm was an inspiration for his art style and now I think about it, there's some slight similarities.

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I sorta met M.A. Larson at BronyCon last weekend. I was in line to properly meet him and he was going around stamping people’s hands. The line to properly meet him was going at a pace where it would’ve cut too close to a panel I wanted to attend, so I walked away before it was my turn, but I got my hand stamped by him.

Parker-Shepherd

I will say just about everyone I've met at Comic Con and similar events are really nice. The best part is when same people you met ages ago, still remember you. It's like a high school reunion but so much better!

Otaku-sempai

Kevin Nowlan has appeared at some local cons, though I've never personally spoken with him for any length of time. I've also seen Frank Miller speak when I was stationed in Texas. Again, I never had a conversation with him. I have met a few professional prose writers, a handful of original-series Star Trek actors (well, only one really) and superfan Bjo Trimble (author of the Star Trek Concordance). That's about it, I think.

Parker-Shepherd

Interesting. I heard Henry Cavill walked around Times Square once wearing a Superman T-shirt to see if anyone would recognize him. They didn't!

Revelator

Loathsome spotted reptile
I very briefly said hello to Bruce Timm at Wondercon several years ago, back when it was still held in San Francisco. He drew a Batman head and the initials "B.T." on my copy of Mad Love. I said I was a member of the Toonzone board (this was back in the Justice League days, when Timm was a semi-regular) and gave my username. He shook my hand and asked me to clobber a certain Toonzone member who was very harsh about Justice League. Meeting B.T. remains my fondest memory from any comics convention.

Parker-Shepherd

I very briefly said hello to Bruce Timm at Wondercon several years ago, back when it was still held in San Francisco. He drew a Batman head and the initials "B.T." on my copy of Mad Love. I said I was a member of the Toonzone board (this was back in the Justice League days, when Timm was a semi-regular) and gave my username. He shook my hand and asked me to clobber a certain Toonzone member who was very harsh about Justice League. Meeting B.T. remains my fondest memory from any comics convention.

That's cool. I met him at Comic Con six years ago. He was really nice. So were Paul Dini and Phil Bourassa. Their advice for young people wanting to work in animation was invaluable.

Basically they said if a person has ideas, to keep writing and find a mentor.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Matt Wilson or Supremus? I'm guessing Matt Wilson because Supremus was very complimentary of JLU. Matt Wilson was and always will be a menace. :D

Parker-Shepherd

Yikes! that reminds me of certain people on fan fiction.net who used to go around leaving reviews on different stories. They were haters and though they claimed they could write better stories, they never posted anything.

But anyway, I'm finding out the old saying of never meet your heroes because they'll only disappoint you isn't always true. People like Bruce Timm, Phil Bourassa, Andrea Romano are the sort who should teach masterclasses on their work.

Their commentary is always interesting, plus you learn a lot about the animation process from the behind-the-scenes features and panels they speak on at comic con and wondercon.

Parker-Shepherd

Sheesh, it sounds like he was difficult. I've seen people like that in certain fandoms, they often have nothing better to do.

One rewarding feeling is when someone you met at comic con or some other event remembers you months, even years later and they're glad to see you.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Sheesh, it sounds like he was difficult. I've seen people like that in certain fandoms, they often have nothing better to do.

One rewarding feeling is when someone you met at comic con or some other event remembers you months, even years later and they're glad to see you.
I am not without affection for Matt Wilson. He argued the wrong things, and was a terrible judge of quality, but he was scary smart, which frankly, pissed me off a lot. I'd rather argue with a stupid person. However the fact that he WAS smart and could back up every argument, meant that he was great to have on your side if you ever coincidentally shared whatever opinion he apparently was an expert on this week while doing no research beforehand. That's actually a skill I admire.

Still annoying though.

Revelator

Loathsome spotted reptile
His problem was that he didn't know how make his criticism constructive. But from what I remember he had the intelligence to eventually realize his approach was counter-productive.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
His problem was that he didn't know how make his criticism constructive. But from what I remember he had the intelligence to eventually realize his approach was counter-productive.
I think the problem was actually that he was reflexively against what people were for and vice versa. He was a contrarian seeking the website's negative attention. God bless him, we gave him exactly what he wanted.

Edit:

Just to give you an idea what an amazing debater Wilson was, in 2004 in the Cafe he gave a frighteningly convincing argument to vote for George W. Bush. I was appalled at how rational and logical it was. He would be a great force for good in this world if he wasn't so insistent on being against every majority opinion ever. He was that good.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts