Enough American/Global Politics

Leaping Larry Jojo

Searching for a map
Yes, I still think the Liberal party has too much public support to fall. Yes, still.

Kyoto accord...well, that's been kind of dormant in the news for the last few weeks. I'm waiting for some more progress...

How about that Mel Lastman guy in Toronto? :p

Pihlajamaa

Although not savvy in Canadian politics, if the way things are in Canada keep going, they will have no choice but to sell their land to the Union to stay afloat. That is, if they don't just become a satellite of the USA altogether beforehand.

Bartak123

Somewhere in the deep nether realms of my mind
Originally posted by Pihlajamaa
Although not savvy in Canadian politics, if the way things are in Canada keep going, they will have no choice but to sell their land to the Union to stay afloat. That is, if they don't just become a satellite of the USA altogether beforehand.

hahaha, you're in my domain....ahem...welll...I think you're wrong...I think Canada is doing okay, as long as my Nortel stock stays in tack...

Nah, I think Canada will remain a soverign nation, we're not going bankrupt...and too many of us care about health care system too much.

You can have my OHIP card when you can pry it loose from my cold, dead hand.

Originally posted by Leaping Larry Jojo
How about that Mel Lastman guy in Toronto?

I'm so glad he's leaving...the guys's a nut...NOOOBBBOOODDDY...Torontonians should get that

Turtle25

Definitely!
Mel Lastman is gone. He is going, but gone. Trust me. He will never be back... I hope. But as far as mayorship is concerned, my support is not yet set but I don't see John Nunziata running the city. Too loserly. For now, I'm behind Tom Jakobek.

The Liberal party can gather some steam with a new leader, I believe. It's all a matter of convincing the public that a Chretien-less party can govern the country actively and lead Canada to better days. Speaking of which, who do you back for the Liberal leadership? Personally, I've supported Paul Martin for about four or five years. He has enough presence to make it work.

Canada isn't as down as everyone believes it to be. The economy is relatively strong (not saying much, but take what you can get), the dollar is performing better (same), and most economic trends aren't too bad. Unlike our southern neighbors, we still have a surplus.

I stand by my personal Canadian slogan. Arounf 1900, Union was remarked as being "only a matter of time". So I say, "Canada... proudly resisting annexation for over 100 years."

Last edited by a moderator:

Lucky Bob

I'M BRIAN BLESSED
I say that:

The Senators will move to Birmingham, AL

The Canucks will move to Salt Lake City, UT

The Oilers will move to Indianapolis, IN

That's my take on the future of Canada.

Turtle25

Definitely!
The Senators should move to Hamilton. Why? It'll be like training in Mexico City. Either that, or they gain superhuman powers.

Or the Sens could move into the Upper House. They're much more useful than the real Senate, don'tcha think?

TimTwoFace

Mod, and Minotaur Bait
Ha! If anything, those American sunbelt teams will fall before any more Canadian teams do. The CBA is gonna get rid of the huge salaries *COUGH* Rangers *COUGH* Flyers *COUGH* Leafs *COUGH* and all the, quote, "small market teams" will have a chance again. Hell, Vancouver, Ottawa, Edmonton, and Minnesota are all teams with comparatively tiny payrolls compared to the usual "big teams" and they're all doing excellent this year.

Hockey aside, the economy in Canada is doing much better than the US right now - it never went into a recession after Sept. 11th, for example. It just sat still for a while since the Internet Bubble popped, and now it's surging back up, particularly cuz of the oil. What's odd is that I've been watching the markets over the past few months and as more and more uncertainty lies in the potential Gulf War 2, the safer, more stable Canadian market is doing much better.

It's odd to have a Canada thread here. Maybe I oughta lock it up for being so out of place. :p

-Tim

Pihlajamaa

No no no.

The Canucks will move to Seattle and reform the Pilots.

The Flames will move to Portland (great hockey town from what I've heard).

The Senators will move to New Orleans.

The Oilers will move to Hartford.

The Canadiens will move to someplace else.

Although if it were up to me, there'd still be eight teams in Canada.

As for that surplus, my friend, a surplus is a sign that you've had too much money of yours stolen. Demand your government lets you spend your money how you will before it's too late!

Do not make us make good on Jefferson's credo, that seizing Canada is a simple matter of marching. Rescue yourselves before you need to be rescued by others!

Outlander00

Another Stand Alone Complex
I cant comment on the mysterious Canadian sport known has Hockey (My girlfriend lives near Toronto, so I have heard plenty of history... that and know about Tim Hortons :p). I have never been able to follow it.

I think it was Chretiens time to go anyway. He was wearing out his welcome amongst his own party and many constiuents. The Liberals wont be at a loss, with many strong people to take his place. Now if they can keep the Alliance at bay :p

As far as Mayor Mel, yeah... he's a nut case :p But if he wasnt entering treatments for Hepatitis C, I think he would have stuck around a while longer :D

On a side note, its scarey that I can actually participate in this conversation :p

Psycho Fox

Toonix Guru
Originally posted by Outlander00

As far as Mayor Mel, yeah... he's a nut case :p But if he wasnt entering treatments for Hepatitis C, I think he would have stuck around a while longer :D
Well he states its his medication that makes his mind fuzzy from time to time. So if it is the case yhea he should leave.

TimTwoFace

Mod, and Minotaur Bait
Of course a lot of American pollution enters Canada. All five great lakes empty into the St. Lawrence River that passes solely through Canada before hitting the ocean. Then again, there are a good number of Canadian ports along that river too, so it's a moot point.

Hear hear about the CLEAN water, though. Canada should be charging huge levies on our natural resources because, say what you will about the high-tech sector, Canada still is very reliant on natural resources. Most of those are untapped, too - so I think we'll do OK in the long run until a few more big cities pop up somewhere during the next big population boom.

-Tim

PS - Jean Chretien is an idiot. In fact, most of the politicians in this country are, because they're very Eastern-Centric. But that's another topic altogether.

Bartak123

Originally posted by TimTwoFace
Of course a lot of American pollution enters Canada. All five great lakes empty into the St. Lawrence River that passes solely through Canada before hitting the ocean. Then again, there are a good number of Canadian ports along that river too, so it's a moot point.

Hear hear about the CLEAN water, though. Canada should be charging huge levies on our natural resources because, say what you will about the high-tech sector, Canada still is very reliant on natural resources. Most of those are untapped, too - so I think we'll do OK in the long run until a few more big cities pop up somewhere during the next big population boom.

-Tim

PS - Jean Chretien is an idiot. In fact, most of the politicians in this country are, because they're very Eastern-Centric. But that's another topic altogether.

Yes, Stockwell Day was a great man... :rolleyes:...note I think Chretien is an idiot too...

TimTwoFace

Mod, and Minotaur Bait
Stockwell Day is a helluva lot more interesting than any of the other politicians in this country. He had the guts to do things differently and take a stand on issues.

We need more politicians in this country that aren't always willing to do things just because they're politically correct. Look at how Ralph Klein runs Alberta...or how Gordon Campbell has been running BC since he came in. He's cutting all the crap out of the government to make it run smoothely, get rid of all the stupid rights of various unions (note: I hate unions), and introducing big business back in the province to get the economy running again. I don't know much about Mike Harris during his tenure in Ontario, but I liked how he cut all the useless social programs out there - of course he went a bit too far, but at least he had the guts to do such things.

-Tim

(Vancouver 2010! It will happen!)

Bartak123

Originally posted by TimTwoFace
Stockwell Day is a helluva lot more interesting than any of the other politicians in this country. He had the guts to do things differently and take a stand on issues.

We need more politicians in this country that aren't always willing to do things just because they're politically correct. Look at how Ralph Klein runs Alberta...or how Gordon Campbell has been running BC since he came in. He's cutting all the crap out of the government to make it run smoothely, get rid of all the stupid rights of various unions (note: I hate unions), and introducing big business back in the province to get the economy running again. I don't know much about Mike Harris during his tenure in Ontario, but I liked how he cut all the useless social programs out there - of course he went a bit too far, but at least he had the guts to do such things.

-Tim

(Vancouver 2010! It will happen!)

Tell me Tim, why do you hate unions?

TimTwoFace

Mod, and Minotaur Bait
Originally posted by Bartak123
Tell me Tim, why do you hate unions?

Because they're lazy and always follow these "rules" and all these inane "rights" of theirs. Case in point - at UBC, all the construction workers there are unionized. It took them TEN MONTHS to build a cement staircase outside the Student Union Building. Ten months! I mean, there was already a staircase in place, they just had to repave it - but no, they had it shut down for the whole school year as if it were too difficult. If any private contractor were contacted that job would have been done in a week, tops.

When unions were started in the early 1900's, it was to protect workers from harsh working conditions. It was all about safety. Now, I think people abuse these rights to get more time off, more money, etc, etc. The world doesn't NEED unions any more, as far as I'm concerned.

I know that's a grande sweeping statement based on a tiny personal example, but I think it's a microcosm of how many unions function.

-Tim

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts