"Elena of Avalor" News and Discussion Thread

Latest News & Videos

zoombie

Jan 23, 2007
New York
The Lightning Warrior

Elena of Avalor returns in top form. First of all can someone tell me is Elena hurt only in the plot episode, does her arm magically heal in the non plot episodes?

We finally get back to Victor and Carla after all this time. I guess we find out the reason for so long, Elena just procrastinating dealing with them because she had her own issues. As bad as Victor and Carla had bad in the past, and Elena as legit of being reluctant to trust them and give them a chance, I think the main reason for Elena's reason its not about them for the most part, maybe a little, but mostly about Esteban. Because of Esteban, Elena had closed her heart to anyone new or suspicious. The old Elena one of her old flaws is maybe too trusting. Here we see take a 180, and that is interesting, how one thing can just change you.

The song was nice, nice to see a flashback of younger Victor and Carla. Though Ash is still evil in that time frame, I don't know how she fit in the picture if she is around, and Victor was shady before he meet Ash, he and Esteban were in that conspiracy together. Maybe I am over thinking. There was a time Victor and Carla were good people, let's leave it at that.

I wonder if we will ever see that island they sent banish people too, that place that Victor and Carla agreed to be exiled to, need I remind you they agree to it, remember that, that is the same place they offered to exile Esteban, which wasn't good enough of a light enough punishment, because Esteban needs a complete get out of jail free card. Enough of my Esteban rant.

I love this new character Ixlan. Perfect foil to Elena. Just a no nonsense warrior, something this show has been missing.

And the ending, Avengers reference that was awesome. Though the part when Victor and Carla just magically changed clothes, you know they could just changed cloths, you didn't need magic for that, just saying.

We got the team together united, though in my opinion, we are still one member short, and that might be addressed in a couple of episodes, I am talking about Isabella of course, she deserved to be part of the good guy team, she earned it. She doesn't have to fight anybody and take part in the battles, though if Ash and Esteban recruit the little person pied piper guitar player into their team, that could be someone Isabel could fight.

Anyway excited as we head to the home stretch.

Korra_Fan

May 25, 2012
We finally get back to Victor and Carla after all this time. I guess we find out the reason for so long, Elena just procrastinating dealing with them because she had her own issues. As bad as Victor and Carla had bad in the past, and Elena as legit of being reluctant to trust them and give them a chance, I think the main reason for Elena's reason its not about them for the most part, maybe a little, but mostly about Esteban. Because of Esteban, Elena had closed her heart to anyone new or suspicious. The old Elena one of her old flaws is maybe too trusting. Here we see take a 180, and that is interesting, how one thing can just change you.
I don't think that's the case for Carla which is why I still say they could have done more with her much earlier, but it's definitely the case for Victor - as this episode reminded us, as Esteban's best friend he was a friend of Elena's too prior to Shuriki taking over, and him having a hand in that is almost as big a betrayal to Elena as Esteban having a hand in it (not quite, though, since Esteban is literal family and Victor played his "I'm a treacherous villain" cards right off the bat as opposed to Esteban deliberately hiding the truth for so long). So it's certainly understandable why reversing the stone effect on him would be something Elena would be wary about, especially after Esteban went and got magic powers of his own. I'm glad to see that her have second thoughts about it now.

zoombie

Jan 23, 2007
New York
If this episode about forming the good guy team for the finale, I know Elena has to be in every episode, but couldn't she just a limited role in an episode which focus on Ash and Esteban forming their team for the finale. Elena could have a B plot that has like 2 minutes of screen time, as we focus on the baddies. I want a counter version of this episode.

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
www.deviantart.com
I'm pretty sure Craig Gerber is using a similar tactic to what he did on Sofia The First, where even if the antagonist/villain has a larger role as the focus, the main hero still has a large amount of screentime in some way. Episodes that place Cedric in a larger role still tie his character with Sofia. For another Disney Junior example that's from another show, look at The Lion Guard. There are episodes that give Janja more to do (like Janja's Crew or Hyena Resistance), but it's still largely tied to The Lion Guard (and in some cases, their allies) having a prominent presence in some way. Episodes that had some villains joining Scar's legion of doom were still giving large roles to The Lion Guard.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Elena Of Avalor "The Lightning Warrior"

It's amazing how effortless this show makes creating a half-way decent toddler show seem. What's especially annoying is that it tells me it should probably be easier for everyone else than it is.

Yeah, the dialogue is clunky, and the song kind of sucks, but I like the arc of the episode being that people can change for the better. Elena is especially resistant to this idea because of what happened with Estaban, but I actually think it's BECAUSE of Estaban which is why she needs to learn this particular lesson.

Do you know why I like that? That's a grown-up moral, and is teaching kids to think ahead for their futures. I'm not a toddler, but I would hope that I would respond to that more than I would the 3-year-old spoiled brat fables handed to me by the Transformers Rescue Bots Academy and Power Rangers. I would like to think that very small children would like learning a grown-up lesson. And it's done by a show that doesn't talk over their heads or make them feel stupid. It feels natural instead which is a rare gift that I appreciate.

I missed watching this show on a regular basis. Even though it's ending, this summer is going to be a treat. ****.

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
www.deviantart.com
Here's an article talking about the upcoming series finale of Elena Of Avalor. There will be some special guests, including Mark Hamill, Jenny Slate, and Patrick Warburton. There's also a 2 minute video with the cast talking about their time on the show.

Given how Esteban in the image alongside everyone else, it does confirm the idea many of us had, that he will become a good guy again .

Last edited:
Reactions: Fone Bone

the_joker

Mar 23, 2009
Stupid question alert.

Is Disney Junior its own channel? I thought the Disney Channel had a morning block for younger children, which would be Disney Junior, but new episodes are airing at 5 pm. I'm guessing Disney Junior is its own channel, but I'd like to make sure. I didn't know there would be enough people, more specifically children, watching the channel since "preschool shows" don't exactly have a positive reputation among the average viewer. Then again, having various kinds of preschool programming blocks/channels wouldn't be possible if no one bothered to watch them.

As for Elena being the first Latina Disney Princess, I can imagine a future WDAS film being made featuring a Latina princess, and someone (whether the Disney marketing team or some random news article) will screw up and call that princess the first Latina Disney Princess. It'd be more appropriate and not very difficult to call that future princess the first Latina Disney movie Princess or just mention Elena in passing, but I'm sure someone will inevitably screw up, and my bet will go to the Disney marketing team. Or maybe since Elena will be a queen by the end of the show, maybe she will mostly be thought of as a Latina Disney Queen.

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
www.deviantart.com
Disney Junior has its own block on Disney Channel (being renamed from Playhouse Disney ) since 2011. The Disney Junior channel came out March 2012. It's both a block and a channel.

There was once mention of Lin Manuel Miranda working on a Moana sequel that would have a Latina Disney princess, and most articles said how this movie princess would be the first . There was definitely outcry with people being like "Elena is Disney's first Latina princess.". The argument came out mostly from those who think a Disney Princess needs to start with a theatrical movie to be considered official.

Screenshot_20200722-062824.png

Screenshot_20200722-062837.png

Screenshot_20200722-062851.png

Last edited:

the_joker

Mar 23, 2009
Seeing that the Disney Princess lineup only included characters that originated from a theatrical movie, the term "Disney Princess" probably doesn't mean a princess created by someone at Disney. Some of the characters in that lineup aren't even princesses, but it's apparently easier to market them as such. The term really just refers to a major and/or popular female character from a theatrical movie released by Disney.

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
Sep 13, 2002
Washington
www.tv.com
Got into Sofia the First last year due to Netflix, and got Disney Plus this summer just in time to see Elena. Really just in time since Charter On Demand has all other eps.

Great show so far. Looking forward to what happens in the end. Anything I post isn't against the writing or characterization just my thoughts on what we have so far.

Elena Of Avalor "Dreamcatcher"

I think the thing that Elena did wrong was SO completely reject him and his apology, and refusing to hear him out when he offered. And I don't merely say that as someone who doesn't want to see him driven into Ash's arms. What it suggests to ME is that Elena's sentence of exile was never impartial, and it was therefore unjust. I was never comfortable with the idea that the verdict and sentence wasn't unanimous, and that the jury was composed of the people that he hurt. What Elena's behavior throughout the episode told me is that Estaban never had a chance at a fair shake at all. And whether he is redeemed or goes to the dark side, that is still unfair and a failing on Elena's end.
Is it wrong though? I mean:

1. His original crime was working with an treacherous person for his own ends and not only condemning the kingdom, but the cause of one (well two) death.

And after this episode of course, he works with a treacherous person for his own end. Endangering the kingdom and being responsible for a man's death (doubt Alakazar would have met the same fate if Esteban accepted exile).

2. Not to mention, I'd think a good person who makes a major mistake would actually want to be punished out of say regret/self-loathing (rather than smugly stating that they'll be forgiven due to Freud excuse, plus being family themselves). Ok, maybe not getting all depressed and such, but the reason I can't really see Elena and those sharing her stance?

A. Just him bragging to the inmates that his family will accept him back? Unless that was a defense mechanism, not really showing remorse at that moment.

B. Yeah even if he didn't bring it up for sympathy, complaining you felt neglected while your cousin had to deal with the murder of your parents, that you caused? Special kind of stupid.

There is good news for the good guys whether or not Esteban is forgiven and comes back into the fold.
Elena Of Avalor "Spirit Of A Wizard"

I don't think any better of Esteban this episode, or think he's making good decisions. What has convinced me he will be redeemed is that as of this episode, it would be the best thing for his arc and this show. And this is not a show that shies away from giving the audience what it ultimately wants and needs. It's not because he deserves Elena's forgiveness. It's that the forgiveness would probably be the healthiest thing for Elena. And maybe that's all it boils down to in the end, and maybe that's all it ever boiled down.
I guess this is the only part I worry about the outcome feeling like it might be a cheat. Unless the next few episodes before the finale set up something, I'm curious to what he could do.

If you take Elena at her word (I think it was it Captain Mateo), she did re-consider the exile to be possibly a mistake until he helped Ash out, so yeah if he behaved the first time around sure. But other than a near fatal sacrifice for the kingdom and family, just not sure what he could do between now and then that would prompt Elena and company to reconsider their stance & warmly welcome him back.

Make no mistake though. I do like the character myself and despite my comments I do feel sympathy for him despite not being able to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Truth be told, I'm expecting to enjoy the finale just fine. Really just had this opinion to get off my chest and even if I got into it late, still had to (rhyme not intentional) wait for more than a week or two. Don't envy those of you who watched "The Magic Within" or "Dreamcatcher" as they premiered.:)

Last edited:

zoombie

Jan 23, 2007
New York
Dias de les Madres

This was a fine episode. I knew it was a holiday episode that was suppose to air in May, so I was expecting much plot wise.

In the middle of the episode, they were trying to give Esteban excuses for what he has done, and they don't. Good for the show, Esteban made his choices and no one is to blame but himself.

I think Esteban didn't feel like the part of the family, I think Shuriki manipulated him to think that, but still doesn't excuse what he has done, and more importantly his refusal to fess up and accept punishment. We saw hints of that in that flashback, when he apology for what Elena did. Nothing ever this fault isn't it? I am sure the finale will have that moment when he finally expects responsibility for something.

The flashback were adorable, and at least I get an eyewitness account on the characters pre series.

This episode was a good holiday episode that still was able not to be all filler.

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
www.deviantart.com

the_joker

Mar 23, 2009
"The Race for the Realm"

It seems the writers didn't want to spend more episodes on the characters finding the pieces of the Scepter of Night. This might make some sense since Shuriki was essentially guaranteed to get the scepter so she could pose a direct threat to Elena. I would say that Shuriki could try being sneaky instead, but that doesn't exactly seem to suit her. It's weird for the other two pieces to be in Vallestrella since that also defeats the purpose of splitting the pieces. There are riddles for finding each piece, but putting the pieces at a greater distance from each other would also help. I guess this just points back to the writers not wanting to take too long to reach the inevitable conclusion with the scepter.

Fiero turns the Delgados into malvagos and complete with their own tamboritas, but Shuriki was originally supposed to do that after claiming a new magical weapon, so this makes me curious about the difference in power between a scepter and a tamborita (and maybe a wand). Most likely, the two will just have different kinds of capabilities with a little overlap so one doesn't easily overshadow the other. Mateo can cast a variety of spells with the help of his spellbook. Meanwhile, the Scepter of Light can only do what listed on this page. That's not a bad number of abilities, but that list pales in comparison to an entire spellbook, so the tamborita has the edge in terms of versatility. Maybe someone with a tamborita will get into a showdown against someone with a scepter at some point.

The flamingos flaringos' laidback and mindlessly positive attitudes were amusing, but too bad their mindlessness helped Shuriki. Elena and Naomi should've given the flaringos a picture of Shuriki, or since they don't have cameras, a physical description probably could've helped. Probably being the keyword given the flaringos' dispositions.

There was also an interesting conflict between the main characters at the beginning of the episode, with Gabe and Mateo wanting to lock away the staff at the palace to prevent their loss while Naomi and Elena (especially Elena) want to get the other pieces and catch Shuriki. Elena suggested they split up to reach their desired objectives, and that was a good idea on paper as that left both duos with someone wielding a magical weapon. Too bad the Delgados snuck up on Gabe and Mateo. If Elena was with them, could she have helped prevent the loss of the staff? She'd have to make sure she didn't get thrown around by that magical windstorm first.

Elena was too desperate to catch Shuriki, and she screwed herself over as a result by tiring herself out from overusing the scepter and leaving Naomi alone without a way to get to the last piece of the Scepter of Night. She'll need to take the flaringos' advice to heart. I did like the confrontation with Naomi and Fiero, but the one with Elena and Shuriki wasn't nearly as exciting since it only consisted of the latter dodging the former's attacks. It was still a good strategy at least, and the villains' thinking clearly and noticing the Scepter of Light's effect on Elena helped with their victory.

Quita Moz appears at the end, and I remember him mentioning a test that Elena was going to encounter. He hasn't clarified it in this episode, and I don't know if he will in the future, but it almost feels like how she planned to deal with Shuriki in this episode was the test since the price for failing would be pretty large. And he offers to teach her more of her own Scepter's powers. I wonder who will help Shuriki with the Scepter of Night since it doesn't look like any of her cohorts are experts in Maruvian artifacts. And I'm hoping whatever showdowns Elena and Shuriki will have in the future will look impressive.

the_joker

Mar 23, 2009
"A Tale of Two Scepters"

Isabel hasn't shown up since "Rise of the Sorceress", and it seems that the other members of the family are still away on diplomatic duty. Over the episode, Elena kept showing concern about leaving Isabel alone, but it's a tad strange she isn't concerned about the others. Sure, Isabel is a child, but I'm not sure Esteban or Elena's grandparents would fare that much better against Shuriki with a magical weapon. However, the others are also away from Avalor and not in any immediate danger from Shuriki. I guess they wanted to keep things simple and not animate too many characters or pay too many voice actors.

Fiero is training Shuriki to use the Scepter of Night, so I guess he's well-versed in some forms of Maruvian magic. He should probably try to steal the scepter for himself, or maybe he's satisfied with his tamborita.

I find it interesting that Quita Moz and others like him can't see Zuzo even though they are supernatural like Zuzo. Of course, being supernatural doesn't mean they'll know everything else about a supernatural like Zuzo not knowing everything about the scepter.

I do like that the episode shows some similarities between Elena and Shuriki, namely that the two will try to get each other whenever they have the chance and even if one isn't in a good position to successfully deal with the other. I still wonder how their showdowns with each other will work because shouting "Blaze!" or "Inferno!" and the other just dodging the blast will look unimpressive if that's all that ever happens.

the_joker

Mar 23, 2009
Some things I forgot to mention about "A Tale of Two Scepters".

One is that the song of the episode pretty much says that the scepters have "opposite" abilities. I'm not sure how literal that is, but maybe future episodes will shed some light on that. The episode does show one example with Elena's "Blaze" extinguishing Shuriki's "Inferno", but I wonder if the reverse also works, e.g. Elena casts an illusion while Shuriki dispels the illusion.

Also, how is Shuriki able to successfully make use of the Scepter of Night? Elena was stated to be able to use her own scepter because being stuck in the amulet meant that she absorbed its magic, and the scepter is using - I guess - her internal magic or something. I suppose Shuriki being a sorceress meant that she could use the Scepter of Night assuming she has her own "internal magic", and then I just wonder how one gets to be a spellcaster then. That doesn't exactly explain why she couldn't use the Scepter of Light. When Elena also picked up her scepter in "The Scepter of Light", she noted that it glowed whenever she picked it up, and it didn't do the same for her father. However, the scepter hasn't glowed everytime she simply wielded it after that episodeThat's either because she has awakened the magic in herself and the scepter or the animators didn't want to keep having the scepter glow so she wouldn't look too conspicuous in public. Also, the Scepter of Night didn't glow for Shuriki in the episode. I guess the writers changed their minds about a few things? Maybe the Scepter of Night is only supposed to work for villains.

As for the next episode "Class Act", it looks like the show is taking a bit of a break from Shuriki. There isn't even a "Previously on..." section at the beginning. Elena said that she was going to keep training at the end of the previous episode, but trainings are usually ongoing anyways. I do know that there are some accompanying shorts (that I haven't seen yet) with Elena using the scepter, so I guess that's how she might be training at the moment.

This is another episode giving some spotlight to Isabel's school life, and like the other previous episodes involving her in school, someone was being a dick for one reason or another in the episode. I wonder if all of the episodes featuring Isabel and her school life will include someone being a dick, but at least the episodes are different enough that this aspect of the episode doesn't feel repetitive.

I do like that the episode makes a point about making mistakes or failing being inevitable and a part of learning science (or I suppose anything if you wanna go that far). I thought Isabel would remember that her contraptions didn't always immediately work, but then again she was more concerned about looking good to (and not accidentally hitting) the teacher she idolizes. Anyways, there's no way guys like Newton or Galileo (assuming they even exist in that world) made their discoveries and proved them on their first try. By the way, it's always weird in fiction that after some characters make some contraptions, they don't test it before finally giving a demonstration, but if they were to fail, a good way to do that would be in public when trying to prove themselves.

Tomiko squealing at the sight of royals was fun. And imagine if Javier decided to join Shuriki as some desperate attempt to get back at Isabel.

Gizmo Gwen makes a small appearance, and I thought she'd wear a different outfit since a kitchen maid outfit doesn't seem like appropriate school attire. But how else would they confirm that it's the same character without having to be asked directly about a character who resembles her but wears a different outfit?

Last edited:

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

what is upsetting about comedy central is that the network is always airing the office series too much
did you think that nickelodeon should slow down the reruns of spongebob and air the old spongebob episodes on nicktoons?
Since people were calling me out for this a few days ago, do you think I defend Nickelodeon too much?
What if cartoons of the past met cartoons of the future?
Coming Tommorow:The reveal of Toonverse,a new kids channel concept!
Tis the place where toons live!
I wish a happy birthday to Corey Burton (65) (voice of Professor Ludwig Von Drake for over 30 years, as well as Megatron on Transformers Animated), Sumalee Montano (48) (voice of Arcee on Transformers Prime and Katana on Beware The Batman), and Travis Willingham (39) (voice of King Roland on Sofia The First and Thor on many Marvel cartoons since Avengers Assemble).