Ed, Edd n Eddy premiered 20 years ago today (among other anniversaries this year).

MegasMilo379

Finally.
I've loved watching Cartoon Network during the Powerhouse and Cartoon Cartoons when I was younger. All of the originals were must-watch to me. But the one original I hold in highest regard from CN's golden eras was Ed, Edd n Eddy. Since the day debuted, I fell in love with it; the absurd atmosphere, the unlikable-yet-lovable characters, the peculiar and wobbly yet beautiful animation, the wonderfully insane plots and moments, the whip-sharp brilliant writing (some lines I got and found hilarious and others that flew over my head and made me blush later on) and the moments that stay with me even years after they first aired. All of it was mystical and hugely eye-opening yet breathtaking and impossibly funny.

Ed, Edd n Eddy was one of CN's finest productions (ironically despite coming from Canada, which I didn't know til after it ended) and I am forever grateful to everyone whom have been a part for putting it together all those years it was on air to bring me and all its other loyal viewers and fans to the wild, wacky, wonky and wonderful cul-de-sac of our favorite mismatched-yet-perfectly matched cartoon trio.

Eldorado

I just remembered, I first learned about the series when I read a Disney Adventures article about upcoming TV shows and Ed, Edd, n' Eddy was one of them featured. My god....memories.

Dr.Pepper

Ed Edd n Eddy is my favorite cartoon ever. I have so many good memories of the show. I first started watching it in the summer of 2000. My favorite character was Edd and my favorite episode is Mirror Mirror on the Ed.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
This is actually also a response to your "Batman TAS air order" question from a while ago. FOX didn't want Batman TAS to turn out like Ed Edd n Eddy (which didn't exist yet but you get my point!) so they aired 60 episodes in 7 months, then had a summer hiatus, and then aired 5 more episodes. That way they had enough episodes to rerun and weren't in a hurry to air more. So it took them a lot longer to air the next 20 + 24 episodes. Why? Simply because they could and wanted to stretch the success as much as possible.

Hmm, I think the answer is similar for both: Cartoon Network stretched out the premiere of new episodes of Ed Edd N Eddy for a bit too long (Season 4 was spread from 2002 to 2004, and Season 5 was spread from 2005 to 2007), and FOX stretched out the premiere of those final episodes of Batman for too long.

EDIT: We kind of discussed the length of time between Ed Edd n Eddy episodes here, as I recall now.

Was Billy & Mandy really more popular in 2006 than Ben 10?!

Yes, I think so.

jaylop97

Staff member
Ed Edd n Eddy is to date one of the very few shows I've seen the entirety of, a lot of others for whatever reason I could never finish, while this show is likely one of the few exceptions. I love it and to this day I still watch it time to time, I generally love the humor and while the characters aren't nothing to write home about, they always gave me a good laugh in whatever scam would occur. I have no memory how old was I when I got into the show, but yeah it's nearly as old as me, and I grew up with it.

Dudley

Staff member
And yet we still only have 2 seasons of it on DVD. Step it up CN.
What’s worse, the only way you can get the whole series is off the iTunes Store. I don’t want to watch it on my tiny iPhone or on my desktop computer. I wish Amazon had it. That way I can watch it on all my devices, including a smart TV.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
In hindsight, I'd call Ed, Edd n' Eddy the Gumball of its time. Both series had done well in the target demos since day 1, but it took a little while to catch on with older audiences the way other shows of their time did, which were also considered bigger shows (Powerpuff Girls and Dexter's Lab/Adventure Time and Regular Show). While those other shows got more attention and way more merchandise, EEnE and Gumball end up being popular for longer, gaining more time and attention on the network even though they never receive much merch.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
In hindsight, I'd call Ed, Edd n' Eddy the Gumball of its time. Both series had done well in the target demos since day 1, but it took a little while to catch on with older audiences the way other shows of their time did, which were also considered bigger shows (Powerpuff Girls and Dexter's Lab/Adventure Time and Regular Show). While those other shows got more attention and way more merchandise, EEnE and Gumball end up being popular for longer, gaining more time and attention on the network even though they never receive much merch.
Ed Edd n Eddy and Gumball are also both CN originals made outside the USA.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter

That's a very good analogy.

SG-17

So... did Cartoon Network acknowledge this at all? The last thing that could even be considered honoring their original slate of cartoons was the Crossover Nexus of OKKO.

Cartoon Cartoons made Cartoon Network. EEnE is still their longest running show. I'll be disappointed if they don't honor that this year.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
So... did Cartoon Network acknowledge this at all? The last thing that could even be considered honoring their original slate of cartoons was the Crossover Nexus of OKKO.

Cartoon Cartoons made Cartoon Network. EEnE is still their longest running show. I'll be disappointed if they don't honor that this year.

You know...if you take away the "Big Picture Show" movie, Ed Edd n Eddy STILL was on the air for longer than Adventure Time. Adventure Time aired 8 and a half years. Ed Edd n Eddy aired 9 and a half years (not including the movie).

And yet, Cartoon Network's not going to acknowledge anything EEnE related...

EDIT: Well...that's if you include the short lived (only one episode) EEnE "Season 6" that aired in June 2008. Season 5 of Ed EEnE ended in May 2007. If you don't count that single "Season 6" episode, Adventure Time and EEnE are pretty equal...

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
Sadly, unless it's PPG or their own, Cartoon Network doesn't seem great at acknowledging anniversaries. The least they could do is give the show a streaming home, if not the rest of the series on DVD.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
I quite liked the show back then. Was slightly different than the other Cartoon Cartoons of that era both visually (like Sheep, Time Squad, ML&O or Robot Jones) and in terms of content. In some way a bit more mature and also slightly disturbing in a fourth-wall sense. Enjoyed the interaction, art style and struggles. Come to think of it it has a spiritual successor in the form of Clarence. Somewhat.

mqg96

I was only a toddler when Ed, Edd n Eddy premiered, but once I got into CN around 5 years old this was one of the shows I was immediately hooked into and I loved it. This was one of my all time favorites, and many friends and I talked about this show and joked around with it! I loved how the episodes were always surrounded by the cul-de-sac and the fact that there weren't parents/adults around! Double D was my favorite character.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts