E.W. Scripps Buys ION Media For $2.65B, With Berkshire Hathaway Investment

aegisrawks

Source:
The EW Scripps Company is buying national broadcast network ION Media for $2.65 billion, with Warren Buffet’s Berkshire Hathaway helping finance the deal. The move combines ION with Scripps’ Katz networks and Newsy to create a full-scale national television networks business, which will reach nearly every American through free over-the-air broadcast, cable/satellite, over-the-top and digital advertising. It also increases Scripps’ reach into the ad market as it offers advertisers a larger platform to reach their audiences.

zeebre12

I wonder what they will do with Ion Plus? Will they cull it or rebrand it to something else? All it has is 4 Canadian shows on loop.

LinusFan303

Squeak
The deal has cleared, the even found a buyer for 23 stations for the clutch, Scripps Completes Acquisition Of Ion Media

also it seems that qubo and Ion Plus will be going away https://ir.scripps.com/static-files/a26d560b-d69c-4313-9fa4-7e0213fe6830
1610314015464.png

LinusFan303

Squeak
In my area, the Ion owned station got sold to somewhere else, since Scripps owns a station and just bought another station in the area.
Poor Qubo, it really serves a purpose to OTA tv, it's more worth it than the unnecessary Court TV and Court TV mystery (it was good when Court TV went off the air in 2008 in the first place).

pacman000

It’s root bear & a candy cigar!
Too bad about Qubo. Does that leave PBS kids as the only OTA option for English-language kids shows? (Not counting Litton’s stuff.)

homeofthebadguys

Too bad about Qubo. Does that leave PBS kids as the only OTA option for English-language kids shows? (Not counting Litton’s stuff.)
Mostly. MeTV just added a cartoon block in the mornings (it's short on weekdays, but long on weekends), but they're more generalist (mostly focusing on boomer nostalgia) in nature.
However, there's the internet and it seems like family formats are starting to decrease in the air as they move to the internet.

homeofthebadguys

Well, this hasn't aged well and who on Earth thought it was a good idea for Scripps to buy Ion enough to phase out Ion Plus and Qubo?
I don't think Scripps was planning on keeping Ion Plus and Qubo around at all.
They likely wanted a fleet of channels to centralize most or all of the Katz networks to.
However, Ion's still planned to operate like normal since there are paying customers willing to subscribe for that in the form of "cord cuddlers" (or that's at least what INSP's COO used to refer to them).

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I don't think Scripps was planning on keeping Ion Plus and Qubo around at all.
Well, I already mentioned "enough to phase them out" in my post you quoted.
They likely wanted a fleet of channels to centralize most or all of the Katz networks to. However, Ion's still planned to operate like normal since there are paying customers willing to subscribe for that in the form of "cord cuddlers" (or that's at least what INSP's COO used to refer to them).
In hindsight, Scripps shouldn't bought Katz at all and their decision to such a thing comes off as a desperate move for them to stay relevant after selling Scripps Networks Interactive to Discovery nearly three years ago.

pacman000

It’s root bear & a candy cigar!
wow ew scripps closes qubo is as bad as loreal closes filmation back in 1989
Not sure about that; Qubo mostly plays shows Nelvana already owns. When Filmation shut down the shows they were developing went unproduced, & whoever was working on those shows lost their jobs.

harry580

In hindsight, Scripps shouldn't bought Katz at all and their decision to such a thing comes off as a desperate move for them to stay relevant after selling Scripps Networks Interactive to Discovery nearly three years ago.
sorry for commenting on it but I wish scripps just spin off broadcasting networks like how news corporation split fox broadcasting and its studios in 2013

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts