DVD releases from MVD in Thailand

• Enter to win two tickets to MIRAI plus Merch. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

Kirben

Sep 10, 2006
Ratings
Australia
members.optusnet.com.au
I thought it would be useful to have a thread about the DVD releases of Cartoon Network series from MVD Company in Thailand, which offered English audio. Since they aren't well known, especially the more specific details.

Amazing World of Gumball, The: Nine DVD volumes covering 56 episodes
(DVD5 with 6 episodes per disc, video quality is decent)
Chowder: Complete series released over ten DVD volumes
(Aspect ratio listed as 4:3, maybe cropped?)
Cow & Chicken: Four season sets released
(Episodes are out of order, 'Buffalo Gals' missing, WAC! pilot missing)
Ed, Edd n Eddy: Five season sets released
(No Christmas, Halloween, Valentine or Season 6 special)
Generator Rex: Complete series released over twelves DVD volumes
(Aspect ratio for Volume 1 - 2 listed as 4:3, maybe cropped?)
(Episodes are out of order)
Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi: Three season sets covering complete series.
(Aspect ratio listed as 4:3, was the series produced for widescreen?)
Johnny Bravo: Five seasons sets released
(Jungle Boy: Mr. Monkeyman / Johnny Bravo and the Amazon Women pilots included with season 1)
(No Bollywood episode, Christmas or Valentine special)
Johnny Bravo Goes to Bollywood: Released separately
Powerpuff Girls Z: Two season sets covering 26 episodes (English dub only)
The Secret Saturdays: Complete series released over eight DVD volumes
(Volume 1 - 6 cropped to 4:3, Volume 7 - 8 are 4:3 letterboxed)

I'm curious whether any of their themed sets (Action, Best, Comedy, Girls) offer any unique widescreen versions of episodes too.

I noticed the original Ben 10 series was released in widescreen on DVD too, but unfortunately only offers Thai audio.

It would be helpful if people could confirm the aspect ratio used for series which were produced for widescreen, and what the video quality is like on these DVD releases (since DVD5 are been used).

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2015
Ratings
I have some of the Cow & Chicken DVDs. I think maybe their video quality was a bit off so I compared it to the Toon Foolery DVD for the episode "I.R. In Wrong Cartoon". I think the transfer may have been brighter, thus perhaps removing detail from visibility, but the Toon Foolery copy had side cropping not present in the MVD copy.

https://www.toonzone.net/forums/thr...-cartoon-network-shows-on-home-media.5500681/
Though that guide may need updating, it points out several things:

-Cow & Chicken: While technically not an episode of the series, the WAC! pilot is not on the DVDs either, and is nowhere on legal home media besides Cartoon Network VHS that included it.
-Ed, Edd n Eddy: Not the entire series. The Christmas and Halloween specials can only be found on iTunes (UK at least) holiday compilations (and maybe some CN holiday DVDs for all I know), the movie can only be found on (US at least) iTunes and the Valentines and Season 6 episode can not be found anywhere on legal home media.
-Johnny Bravo: Also not complete series. I think it might have the WAC! pilots episode but it's missing the Bollywood TV movie (separate MVD DVD), Bollywood episode (on Madman's Season 2 release) and the holiday specials. The Christmas one can be found on iTunes UK's Christmas compilation and again, maybe on one of the Holiday DVDs for all I know but the Valentines can't be found anywhere.

In fact here's several episodes of CN shows that cannot be purchased anywhere, though I'd love to be proven wrong:
- Dexter's Laboratory "Rude Removal"
- Johnny Bravo "It's Valentine's Day, Johnny Bravo!"
- Cow & Chicken "Buffalo Gals"
- Ed, Edd n Eddy "May I have this Ed?/Look Before You Ed" & "Ed, Edd n Eddy's Hanky Panky Hullabaloo"

Listen, Cartoon Network, these are the only episodes without some kind of legal release and I'd give you money to complete these series. Don't you like money? Is it too hard to put out some kind of iTunes release for these?

Mar 9, 2015
Ratings
I thought it would be useful to have a thread about the DVD releases of Cartoon Network series from MVD Company in Thailand, which offered English audio. Since they aren't well known, especially the more specific details.

Amazing World of Gumball, The: Eight DVD volumes covering 48 episodes
(DVD5 with 6 episodes per disc, video quality still decent?)
Chowder: Complete series released over ten DVD volumes
(Aspect ratio listed as 4:3, maybe cropped?)
Cow & Chicken: Four season sets released
(Episodes are out of order, 'Buffalo Gals' missing, WAC! pilot missing)
Ed, Edd n Eddy: Five season sets released
(No Christmas, Halloween or Season 6 special)
Generator Rex: Complete series released over twelves DVD volumes
(Aspect ratio for Volume 1 - 2 listed as 4:3, maybe cropped?)
(Episodes are out of order)
Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi: Three season sets covering complete series.
(Aspect ratio listed as 4:3, was the series produced for widescreen?)
Johnny Bravo: Five seasons sets released
(No Bollywood episode or Christmas special)
Johnny Bravo Goes to Bollywood: Released separately
Powerpuff Girls Z: Two season sets covering 26 episodes (English dub only)
The Secret Saturdays: Complete series released over eight DVD volumes
(Volume 1 - 6 cropped to 4:3, Volume 7 - 8 are 4:3 letterboxed)

I'm curious whether any of their themed sets (Action, Best, Comedy, Girls) offer any unique widescreen versions of episodes too.

I noticed the original Ben 10 series was released in widescreen on DVD too, but unfortunately only offers Thai audio.

It would be helpful if people could confirm the aspect ratio used for series which were produced for widescreen, and what the video quality is like on these DVD releases (since DVD5 are been used).
Puffy AmiYumi was produced entirely in 4:3. And Generator Rex and Chowder were cropped to 4:3 for standard def TV airings.

Kirben

Sep 10, 2006
Ratings
Australia
members.optusnet.com.au
Puffy AmiYumi was produced entirely in 4:3. And Generator Rex and Chowder were cropped to 4:3 for standard def TV airings.
Many 2000s cartoon series from Cartoon Network & Warner Bros. were cropped to 4:3 when shown in the USA. Chowder and Generator Rex were produced for widescreen though, and should be released that way on DVD (the DVD releases were widescreen in the USA).

Spotlight

Latest profile posts

Mickey Mouse's 90th birthday is tomorrow!
I'm rewatching Justice League and I'm sort of weird ed out how old Superman looked in the earlier seasons
Yeah... I just watched the end of Peepoodo... And I wish I hadn't. If I'm considered a wuss for liking Milo Murphy's Law. Big City Greens, Summer Camp Island, Clarence, Craig of the Creek, Hilda, Harvey Beaks, Harvey Street Kids and even The Loud House - not to mention LPS (2012, 2018) SO MUCH MORE because at least those shows have some constraint to not be this gross - then I could care less what you think of me.
Yeah I'm probably not coming back
I was just about to say "Where's Gridman?" on that Crunchyroll streaming thread.