"DuckTales" (2017) Series Talkback (Spoilers)

zoombie

As a big Donald Duck fan and knowledge of his history, I thought it was unfair for Scrooge to call him a mooch. For all the history of Donald and Scrooge has, except for maybe the early stories, Donald never plotted to use his rich uncle for an easy ride. He has always been an very hard worker, which is the reason Scrooge is more closer Donald than he is to Gladstone and respects him more. Normally Donald tries to get on Scrooge's side is when Scrooge pits Donald and Gladstone against each other in some competition.

And even if you ignore the comics, in this series the first episode, a lot of it is about Donald being a very proud person who is trying to provide for his boys without Scrooge's help, he doesn't want Scrooge's help.

So to recap, Scrooge calling Donald a mooch, low blow and totally unfair to his character. Donald is many things, he is accident prone, has no business savoy, but mooch is not one thing.

Last edited:

zoombie

Well an alright episode, Fethry is an interesting character, great to see him animated.He refers to himself as Donald's favorite cousin, you know I believe it, when Gladstone Gander is your main condition, I guess he is favorite cousin.

So the theme that Fethry is like Huey is great, I guess that means Dewey is this generation's Donald, they could be setting up the kids as the next generations of Ducks, Huey is Fethry, Louie is Gladstone, Dewey is Donald, and if you want to go beyond that Webby is Della even though she is not a blood relative, still the point remains.

It was a good episode, but sorry I just can't help but be distracted by another Launchpad off screen adventure, I hope this leads to something, or at least the IDW comics adapt these stories one day. And what we learn is Launchpad kind of has a harem. Though that is not far off, in the old series Launchpad was a ladies man.

Anyway so far so good in season 2, though I am waiting for our characters to find out Della is still alive on the moon, and Lena is in Webby's shadow, we know all that info, when will the characters catch up?

ShadowStar

Great episode! I enjoyed the underwater exploring. Hopefully the show will tackle a Halloween episode at some point, but this was fun so I can't be disappointed!

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
DuckTales "The Depths Of Cousin Fethry"

Sigh. Remember when you were a kid, and you got home from school to watch DuckTales, and the sinking pit in your stomach that appeared whenever Doofus showed up? Fast-forward a few years and that's ME when American Disney Comics decided it was a good idea to import the One-Trick, Fad-Obsessed Pony Fethry to OUR shores. He should have died with American artist Al Hubbard. But Europeans went nuts for him for some insane "Jerry Lewis Is A Genius" reason, so Disney Comics in America decided printed all of his lousy overseas stories. Every story he is in is a disaster. To be fair to Fethry, unlike Doofus, there isn't actually any fat-shaming attached to him. But is there such a thing as annoying-shaming? Maybe there should be. Because Fethry is the kind of guy who gives annoying people a bad name.

How did this show do with him? Considering the pay-dirt they hit with Sociopath Doofus last season, I'm a bit appalled that this version of Fethry is crazily even WORSE than the one from the comics. And HE'S a Woodchuck but Dewey and Louie aren't? I cry fowl, er foul!

The one plus to Fethry showing up is that we got a Donald scene in the beginning. But that should be a gimme. Fethry boasts he's Donald's favorite cousin. Dude, his other cousins are Gladstone Gander and Gus Goose. That's not a brag.

I'd say I can't blame the show for trying, but yeah, I'm probably gonna be this upset when Bubba appears too. Some of the Duck canon is better than others, producers. It's okay not to get to everything. Sigh. *.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I don't know. Fethry seems fine to me. He's clumsy and nuts, but very nice and resourceful in a screwball way. Plus, Tom Kenny voices him, which is awesome. Though I admit, I'm not exactly in a position to make this statement since I've never read the Ducktales comics, unlike how you're well versed in them.

JThree

Didn't mind Fethry so much. It's a slightly different episode where a little bit of everything is put in the mix. Second episode in, and still no reveal as to what the big plot of this season will be. Maybe I'm being impatient.

I hope having Fethry in the episode gives the European fans a kick. It's nice knowing Donald isn't the craziest member of the Duck Clan.

Sometimes I have to rewatch an episode a bit to catch all the invokes and references. So. . . some second viewing may be in order.

I did enjoy the recurring joke of Launchpad's old girlfriends showing up in odd places and cities. Launchpad may not have too much in the noggin, but the ladies seem to like him

James

Last edited by a moderator:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I don't know. Fethry seems fine to me. He's clumsy and nuts, but very nice and resourceful in a screwball way. Plus, Tom Kenny voices him, which is awesome. Though I admit, I'm not exactly in a position to make this statement since I've never read the Ducktales comics, unlike how you're well versed in them.
Fethry is not a DuckTales character. He's a character from old non-Barks Disney Duck comics who took off in Europe. His gimmick is being obsessed with fads and trends, so if and when he DOES return to the show, don't express surprise to see him in an entirely different vocation.

Don Rosa disliked the character, and seemed to resent being forced to put him on the Duck Family Tree by Egmont. He said if it were up to him, he would have included Ludwig Von Drake instead.

Dudley

Staff member
Wait a minute...now that you mention it, isn’t Ludwig supposed to be related to Donald? Why isn’t he on the tree? Weird.

Anyway, I hope European fans are happy that Fethry is here. IMO, he’s alright. A little annoying, but I don’t mind since I know he’s not going to appear often. I hope we’ll see more of the Duck Family this season.

As for the episode itself...it was decent. Did leave me wondering what Launchpad did. Probably have made for a more interesting episode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Wait a minute...now that you mention it, isn’t Ludwig supposed to be related to Donald? Why isn’t he on the tree? Weird.
Ludwig is Donald's Uncle, or would be were he allowed on the tree. Ludwig is not on the tree because the European publishers literally hate him. I suspect the thick German accent and scatterbrained personality associated with it might ruffle some feathers (so to speak).

BlackoutCreature

Some versions of the tree list Ludwig as Matilda's (Scrooge's sister) husband. This has been inconsistent though.

Having never read a Fethry comic and never really looking up info on him, I always assumed, just by his appearance, that he was some kind of outdoorsman/pseudo-survivalist. Somebody who doesn't like modern technology and doesn't like living in society. Don't know why I got that vibe, but was very surprised to see that that's not his thing at all.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Some versions of the tree list Ludwig as Matilda's (Scrooge's sister) husband. This has been inconsistent though.
Did not know this. That actually makes a lot of sense to me, although it doesn't explain where Matilda is. She actually showed up in "A Letter from Home" and never mentioned Ludwig. Divorced perhaps?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts