"DuckTales" (2017) Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
DuckTales "They Put A Moonlander On The Earth!"

A little bit much, but I can't really complain too harshly. Yeah, this show is not for me. But I didn't find it outright offensive to the premise of the Ducks either.

Penumbra not digging Earth males suggests she actually digs Della. I don't object to a Della being a lesbian, but I do object to the character being in a 'ship at all. We'll see what happens.

I did not get the Timmy Jenkins stuff at all. What am I missing?

I feel the stakes were incredibly low as the main conflict boiled down to confusion over an ice cream headache and theme park ride violations. But I think the stakes on the show are usually too high, so I was totally okay with that.

I like that Penumbra see the kids as Little Dellas. It's funny, but if you take it as "All Earthlings look alike" it's also super racist.

I like that there wasn't a ton of racial tension in the Moonites' integration on Earth. There was some, but it wasn't a driving force of the Moonites' new situation, or a major theme or subtext. I don't necessarily object to the Duck comics exploring how wrong racism is, but I believe that is best done using allegories for other creatures the Ducks encounter on their journeys like the Pahweega or the Terry Fermies. I feel the show exploring that in the characters' backyards, using an ACTUAL alien is a bit more explicit about that type of message than I believe it should be.

But to honest, it's only Rosa who has passable messages there, so I couldn't really fault the show either way. A lot of Barks' stuff was racist. It wasn't systemic like Floyd Gottfredson's stuff was, and I don't believe Barks was a racist later in his life. But there are a few stories that aren't defensible in any way. And the more I think about it, even if that's not an issue I feel comfortable with this show exploring, perhaps that's a reason it someday should be. I felt that specific subtext and melodrama would be outside of the tone set by the comics. But it's not like the comics dealt positively with racial matters to begin with. Maybe I'm wrong there.

My reaction to that was favorable. ****.

ShadowStar

Come to think of it, I have a minor complaint regarding what I've seen of this season so far: it has repeated itself. They are telling the same stories about legacy, only with different characters. B.O.Y.D. and Lena's episodes have both boiled down to the message of, "I get to decide my own destiny". Penumbra's arc in the latest episode also echoes Huey's from the Ragnarok episode: "I can be more than I thought I could be". I hope that when the F.O.W.L. arc kicks into high gear very soon, we won't have to deal with very much of this theme of "legacy" anymore, because it's a bit worrying that the show seems to be limited in what it has to say about that concept. Also, it seems unlikely that the upcoming Halloween, Darkwing Duck and Christmas episodes will get overly invested in the theme of legacy. (I hope I'm right about that...)

Stumpos

Come to think of it, I have a minor complaint regarding what I've seen of this season so far: it has repeated itself. They are telling the same stories about legacy, only with different characters. B.O.Y.D. and Lena's episodes have both boiled down to the message of, "I get to decide my own destiny". Penumbra's arc in the latest episode also echoes Huey's from the Ragnarok episode: "I can be more than I thought I could be". I hope that when the F.O.W.L. arc kicks into high gear very soon, we won't have to deal with very much of this theme of "legacy" anymore, because it's a bit worrying that the show seems to be limited in what it has to say about that concept. Also, it seems unlikely that the upcoming Halloween, Darkwing Duck and Christmas episodes will get overly invested in the theme of legacy. (I hope I'm right about that...)
Didn't Frank say legacy would be a major theme this season like how adaptation was season 2's theme?

Rhaynebow

"Mary Sue" as a term/shorthand should just die. Whatever it's original meaning was supposed to be, it has been warped into "a female character shows any level of competence and that makes me mad."

Here's a fun game, anytime a female character is accused of being a Mary Sue, imagine Batman in their place and see if that "fixes" it. He is easily the biggest "Mary Sue" ever created, but that never, for some reason, gets called out.

I have literally never heard anyone call a Mary Sue a female character with competence. I usually see it being used to describe characters that get everything they want without them having to work for it, everybody loving them and anybody who doesn’t is a bad guy and them being super special while the other characters hype them up. Which Webby is none of these things. She gets along with everyone, but it’s clear her chemistry is stronger with some people, like Dewey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freddy

I have literally never heard anyone call a Mary Sue a female character with competence. I usually see it being used to describe characters that get everything they want without them having to work for it, everybody loving them and anybody who doesn’t is a bad guy and them being super special while the other characters hype them up.

Sure, that's the "official" definition of the term and nobody is literally going around saying out loud what I descriped, but that's how the term has been basically used by certain people. And it is always with female characters, while male characters get a lot of leeway.

Batman can be good at everything and defeat anyone in a fight solely because "he's Batman", and that's cool. Rey can be naturally good at certain things and barely fight someone to a standstill, and that makes her Mary Sue.

Tony Stark can be a super-genius for no reason and that makes him a fun character. Shuri is a super-genius thanks to growing up in a country that's ahead of the rest of the World in terms of tech, yet she is the one who's intelligence is sue-ish.

The Doctor has achieved numerous impossible feats during their over 50 year career, but it became farfetched only after they regenerated into a woman.

Etc.

But I'm getting awfully off-topic, so we should probably stop here.

ShadowStar

So did season 2 do a better job at the adaptation theme than 3's doing with legacy and why?

All I can say in that regard is that I didn't feel that seasons 1 and 2 went round in circles at all. Season 1 did a good job of its story arcs: the Lena/Magica stuff and the mystery of what happened to Della. Season 2 also did a nice job of the Moon arc, as well as the Glomgold arc. In season 3, we have a prominent theme (legacy) that keeps coming up, and while they are doing good things with this as well, it is starting to get to the point where I am concerned that they might run out of new types of stories to tell that concern the theme of legacy. But I hope to be proven wrong -- after all, we aren't even half-way through the season yet! :)

Frontier said:
I'm hoping Huey starts getting back into focus soon...

Perhaps in "The Forbidden Fountain of the Foreverglades!", during the triplets' sub-plot? Or if not then, then maybe in "Escape from the Impossibin!" There's time.

Stumpos

Regarding why the show moved back to Disney XD this season, Frank said it was to better ensure that episodes could be aired in order rather than out of order so at this point we don't need to assume moving to Disney XD automatically means no fourth season:

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Regarding why the show moved back to Disney XD this season, Frank said it was to better ensure that episodes could be aired in order rather than out of order so at this point we don't need to assume moving to Disney XD automatically means no fourth season:

I already posted something like this.

Here's something interesting. Francisco Angones said how he and Matt Youngberg actually wanted the show to come back to Disney XD so as to make sure the episodes are in order.

ShadowStar

"The Trickening!" was a fine and fun Halloween episode! I did not expect to see Launchpad have such a huge role in the story, though his involvement was welcome. I'm a little bit disappointed that we didn't see Poe De Spell, as I had long hoped that he would appear in either the Lena episode ("The Phantom and the Sorceress!") or this episode, but I can't be too upset about that. (Before anyone says anything, let me just add that I was well aware that this episode would be a standalone story.)

One thing of note is that Clancy Brown had a voice role in this episode -- I haven't really seen him in anything in recent years other than Disney/Marvel-related stuff. I wonder whether they have him contracted to only do work for their studio... If so, then that's too bad, since I would love to hear his Lex Luthor again at some point. That's all pure speculation on my part.

Loved seeing Della and Donald both get involved in the fun and the antics in this episode as well -- it would have been all too easy to just have the story focus on the kids and then call it a day there, but thankfully that wasn't the case. I'm also quite surprised that this episode addressed the friction between Huey and Louie, though I'm glad that it did. Louie is more grown up and assertive post-season 2 (we see that in "Louie's Eleven!" and "The Rumble for Ragnarok!" as well), and Huey still has his tendency to behave like the "oldest triplet", so there was always likely to be some sort of escalation of tension there. It was nicely handled.

Great ending as well! Nice synthesis of the different plot lines. :)

Stumpos

"The Trickening!" was a fine and fun Halloween episode! I did not expect to see Launchpad have such a huge role in the story, though his involvement was welcome. I'm a little bit disappointed that we didn't see Poe De Spell, as I had long hoped that he would appear in either the Lena episode ("The Phantom and the Sorceress!") or this episode, but I can't be too upset about that. (Before anyone says anything, let me just add that I was well aware that this episode would be a standalone story.)

One thing of note is that Clancy Brown had a voice role in this episode -- I haven't really seen him in anything in recent years other than Disney/Marvel-related stuff. I wonder whether they have him contracted to only do work for their studio... If so, then that's too bad, since I would love to hear his Lex Luthor again at some point. That's all pure speculation on my part.

Loved seeing Della and Donald both get involved in the fun and the antics in this episode as well -- it would have been all too easy to just have the story focus on the kids and then call it a day there, but thankfully that wasn't the case. I'm also quite surprised that this episode addressed the friction between Huey and Louie, though I'm glad that it did. Louie is more grown up and assertive post-season 2 (we see that in "Louie's Eleven!" and "The Rumble for Ragnarok!" as well), and Huey still has his tendency to behave like the "oldest triplet", so there was always likely to be some sort of escalation of tension there. It was nicely handled.

Great ending as well! Nice synthesis of the different plot lines. :)
Isn't Clancy Brown still voicing Mr. Krabs on SpongeBob? Heck, I even detect a bit of Mr. Krabs when he voiced Frankenstein here.

ShadowStar

Isn't Clancy Brown still voicing Mr. Krabs on SpongeBob? Heck, I even detect a bit of Mr. Krabs when he voiced Frankenstein here.

I don't follow Spongebob Squarepants at all, and I'm only vaguely familiar with the character you're talking about -- but that's good info, thanks! :)

zoombie

The Trickening!

That was a good Halloween episode. Donald, Della, and Scrooge acting more like children than the children was a nice touch. The devil and angel, I love that reference, and Della is so in to character, as his Donald, he is so kind compared to his counterparts in other media.

Speaking of man child, Launchpad takes the cake. Seeing young Launchpad was a nice surprise, though disappointed we didn't see Loopy.

As for the A plots, those monsters were cool, nice through back to the first series, the monsters aren't really villains. Though I wish Witch Hazel was involved.

The costumes were cool, Webby as always is great, Huey are Gizmoduck that was fine though he knows his identity could have done some joke about Fenton, Dewey is Dewey with the pirate on vacation, and Louie is his lazy self just being Huey.

Another thing I wish they had time for, was seeing what the villains are up to, love to see how Glomgold, the Beagles Boys, and Magica spent Halloween.

But I do love this episode.

Last edited:

ShadowStar

Interesting that Mrs. Bleakley's voice actor is listed in the end credits, even though the character only had a non-speaking cameo at the very end (giving out candy at the Manor entrance). Perhaps she had a scene that was cut.

Stumpos

Interesting that Mrs. Bleakley's voice actor is listed in the end credits, even though the character only had a non-speaking cameo at the very end (giving out candy at the Manor entrance). Perhaps she had a scene that was cut.
This isn't even the first time this has happened. Huey's voice actor was listed in Great Dime Chase despite not even appearing, Scrooge's voice actor was listed in Beagle Birthday Massacre, and Donald and Beakley's VAs were listed in Secret of Castle McDuck despite neither appearing. Maybe this was just compensation for not crediting he for voicing Jane in Louie's Eleven.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
DuckTales "The Trickening!"

Man, Launchpad is too stupid here. And why is the show not commenting on the fact that he used to be fat and have long hair as a kid? That's huge!

I like his Mighty Ducks mask though.

Donald and Della as an angel and a devil sums up not only their parenting styles, but their roles in the episode. This is the first episode to explicitly point out that they are twins like in the comics.

For the record, Della "playing along" with Launchpad's delusions is despicable because she's essentially using him.

After seeing Community Season 6, it amuses me that this show has Frankie and Abed playing mother and son.

Cute (Ish). ****.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
"The Trickening" - I have some very minor flaws with this one. Like again kind of toning down Webby's super elite skilled take down abilities for the sake of the plot (since it's not like we haven't seen her take down monsters before), and same with Scrooge really. Seriously any other episode freaked out of his mind or not Scrooge should easily be able to take out Launchpad but didn't so Launchpad could escape to that haunted house. And thinking about it, honestly felt rather pointless to have Huey lie about the haunted house on the map. I get the idea of him wanting to have a more traditional Halloween like they used to and not using the day to go on some super out of the way adventure but honestly that probably should of been said a bit more throughout instead of liked just dumped at the end especially as there were other mysteries and swerves worth focusing on. And... I guess could of mentioned more about Della wanting to have a Halloween with the kids after not having the chance for so long... okay these are really nitpicks because quite honestly this one was a lot of fun that I really dug.

And honestly what I really like about this one especially compared to a lot of season 3 is that actually isn't much of a lesson or moral to this one. I guess the whole "Louie shouldn't be scheming on this day" but that felt pretty downplayed compared to so many other episodes that beat you over and over the head with the point and forgetting to actually have fun while this episode was all about the having fun. And honestly I actually really liked the plotting of this one as well. Like I appreciate that this is a haunting house story where the characters going in actually have dealt with hauntings and monsters before so aren't just intimitaed by that and then the reveal that these monsters were just looking to scare people and take their candy due to not being able to go out at night and get it. Like there's something just so funny about the idea of monsters scaring others for that actual reason in something done even better by them having to be more in costumes due to how times have changed and then that whole idea of Dewey wanting an all night candy store which was his dream "he came up with 10 minutes ago" actually being used at the end with Scrooge charging kids for candy to enter his house when all the others would be closed for the night. Like seriously that is just such a funny amusing way to end and though I guess that still image is a call back to the Shining which I didn't find like a super great joke to end on the rest of the material was just so good I dind't care.

Since yeah most everything else was just solid; Huey as Gizmoduck, Webby as the original spirit of Halloween even the other monsters don't recognize, Dewey as Sailor pirate, Louie's super lazy Huey costume, Della wanting to scare everyone in the house and Scrooge kicking them out so he can trick or treat and him leaving an empty take one bowl and miming what kids would think if they saw it, Launchpad thinking he's the cause of Halloween and Della thinking that's a great way to trick the kids, Louie pointing out they have a ghost butleor so why should they be scared of monsters, the various rooms of differing creatures, "uh now is not the time to say who was right and who was wrong" or one of those lines I normally am not a fan of but how Padget Brewster had Della say it was just really well done it made me laugh, the Frankenstein monster referencing the Ring of all things talking about creepy well girl, the other monsters being afraid of the adults coming into their house, Launchpad finally realizing what Halloween is and again just like nearly every joke throughout this one. Seriously I don't normally laugh at the show this much since though the pilot was very funny it only occassionaly dips to having this many great joke per one specific ep but yeah this was certainly one of them and again is a real stand out of this season so hope for again more like this throughout at least when it comes to more the pure comedy episodes anyway. I guess the more character or story focused ones don't need all the jokey jokes but yeah if you're going to just have a spooky fun adventure just have it focus on telling the fun spooks like this please.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts