"DuckTales" (2017) Series Talkback (Spoilers)

ShadowStar

Okay spoiler tag till it airs.

The Phantom and the Sorceress

It was a pretty good episode. I am a big fan of Team Magic, so episodes that focus on them I am going to enjoy. I was excited for a moment we saw Della for a moment, one of the things of my wish list is for Della to interact with Violet and Lena. When well that happen? They both lack a positive female role model.

So the Phantom Blot, I like that he has a sympathetic backstory, you can understand the reason for his rage. All things being equal, Phantom vs Magica, I would totally be on the Phantom's side.

Gladstone in this episode, he is the most Gladstone as he as been in the whole series, closest to the comic book version than he has ever been. Obnoxious, lazy, contempt for Donald, this is the Gladstone I know.

This was a big turning point in Lena's arc, new design, complete freedom from Magica, if she still needs a magic teacher, I wonder if that is how Poe gets involved. The fans are divided on Lena's new design, personally I am fine with it, it will take me time to get used to it, she looks a little too much like Bride of Frankenstein, but I am sure I will get used to it. '

Great episode, can't wait to see what they do next.

I loved this episode!
The dislike for Lena's new design in parts of the fandom is quite surprising to me. I think she looks amazing in her powered-up form. Frank Angones has already confirmed on Tumblr that Lena only takes this form when she draws upon the full extent of her magical potential, so those who do not like this design needn't worry.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Well now that it's out here are my thoughts on...

"The Phantom And The Sorceress" - A sort of double edge sword with this show is that it juggles a lot of various story lines with a lot of characters so yeah you aren't stuck with the exact same cast going on the exact same adventures every week and can vary it up often. Which on one had does lead to a good amount of differing characters and stories but that also means that some of the ones especially from secondary characters can go unanswered or unseen for a huge chunk of time without really being answered. Like we haven't really had a Lena focused episode since "A Night On Killmotor Hill" and had cameos of her in "Moonvasion" and "Challenge Of The Senior Junior Woodchucks" (the former of which I kind of thought established she could do magic but eh guess it's just more general offensive magic and again not like high level sorceress kind of anything) but yeah it's been some time since focusing on her whole deal or even where she's at. And at first I was kind of annoyed at the idea of still having to have Magica involved considering I thought they kind of closed the whole "oh she doesn't fear becoming her again" I admit this one did win me over with it's theme and point which actually is by far one of the stronger we've had this season which yeah I admit I haven't been digging a lot of the first half of this season. Sans "Quack Pack" I've had either more minor or major issues with most every other episode this season that did dull my enjoyment. I guess a very minor one here would still be the use of characters (though hey glad they finally remembered this season you can have Della in an episode without Donald... technically) and I almost feel the cheesiness got a bit too high but honestly I think what made this work was this wasn't just a "you have to remember your own inner goodness and who you are" but about legacy and establishing one's own powers. I do like the idea actually of Lena realizing that though coming from Magica she can form her own magic and how that connects with Webby and Violet does trace back to other episodes and their unity (again you would think the connection with Violet is stronger considering you know adopted step sister but Webby more main character so she's appeared more in the show but okay that is a pretty minor nitpick that didn't ruin anything in the actual episode) so the clips used here actually do work. And honestly it was shown that Phantom Blot was someone who formed his whole plan against magic due to what Magica did so probably was used to taking more evil or even neutral magic but dealing with more positive magic probably would overload more and I admit I'm a sucker for a transformation sequence and thought Lena's new look at the end was spiffy. Plus even though they are giving Magica back more of her powers she's still kind of treated as a joke or at the very least not the arch fiend nusiance of season one which works so you can still have her pop up every now and again and have it fitting.

And honestly a lot more of the jokes in this episode landed then in a lot of other ones this season. I actually really like bringing in Gladstone here and having it be that due to losing his luck he's actually pretty whiny and pathetic and getting the short end of things for once and has no idea how to deal with that. And using it just enough so seeing him complain about stairs and wondering how people get anywhere without gusts of wind blowing them forward or accidentally transofrming into Donald and getting himself stuck was funny but not grating and detracting from the plot. Like that's a very fine line the writers walked but they did it well. I think it also helps a lot of comedy still comes from Magica as well whether it's her constantly trying to get the amulet or talking about easily crushing that village in the backstory or saying her malevonet purple magic is obviously superior or pathetic attempts at delyaing phantom plot with tied up scarfs and pop up snakes. And honestly the interplay the girls have is actually probably the strongest it's been in the show. I really like how Violet and Webby had to drag Lena into wanting to help out or Violet being fine blasting Lena for science's sake and respecting the rules of dueling and of course "you can talk to snakes?" "I sure hope so" and then all the snakes appearing at the end. Just honestly a really fun one where the message work and felt tied to the character and the comedy was solid and though tapping on something we haven't seen in awhile doing it well and advancing the characters so yeah now you have Lena as her own sorceress which... we'll probably at most only see two more times this season but still good they are doing different things with her. So yeah good episode and hopefully the rest of this run is at this level.

Frontier

Staff member
Admittedly Scrooge probably has more reason than most to be wary of the supernatural :sweat:.

The Phantom Blot looked more like the dark executioner with his redesign here, which I guess fits his characterization of someone trying to hunt down and exterminate all magic. Frankly, considering what Magica did to him, I'd be nominally on his side if he wasn't working with a group like FOWL to do it. I was surprised to hear Giancarlo Esposito go for such a growling and aggressive take here, considering I'm more used to his calculating and insidious roles, but it fit the character as portrayed here :evil:.

Gladstone finally has karma catch up with him for a day as he gets to learn how the other half lives after losing his supernatural luck abilities. He's so unlucky he ends looking like the thing he fears the most, being the duck with all the bad luck, Donald Duck :p.

Shows how much Magica pays attention that she's know Webby for two seasons and was using her through Lena to get to Scrooge but can't even be bothered to remember her name :rolleyes:.

Lena's transformation sequence reminded me of Raven becoming White Raven in the Teen Titans cartoons. And of course, the strongest magic of all is friendship ;).

Bad news, Magica has her full magic back. Good news is now Lena's basically a magical Superhero who is even stronger than her aunt, so it doesn't seem like Magica is quite the threat she used to be. I guess these things tend to balance each other out :).

zoombie

Shows how much Magica pays attention that she's know Webby for two seasons and was using her through Lena to get to Scrooge but can't even be bothered to remember her name :rolleyes:.

Not to mention she was Webby's Glomgold family counterpart.

I don't know who here is familiar with the original series, but this episode reminds me of "Magica's Shadow War", just substitute the number one dime for the amulet, and Magica is pretty much the same character.

And almost forgot the fact that Violet was willing to spar with Lena while Webby wouldn't, that is such a sibling thing. They live together, so probably something annoys them about each other.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Hindsight 2020!
DuckTales "The Phantom And The Sorceress!"

Sigh.

I was very much looking forward to this. Giancarlo Esposito as the Phantom Blot?! Are you freaking kidding me?! Perfect casting!

And per usual, every inch of the show disappoints me. It doesn't always. But it does usually.

Let's start of with the Blot. He's awful. I don't want to be like Don Rosa in my first complaint about the show being that Scrooge's hat is all wrong. I hope my observations are usually a little deeper than that. But Blot's DESIGN is all wrong. The medieval outlines on the costume, the golden gauntlet, the Blot is supposed to look like an INKBLOT. That's the entire gimmick. This is not something I ever expected to need to complain about. I expected that to be self-evident. But like giving Magic De Spell boobs and dressing her like a streetwalker, this is not a show that understands any of the gimmicks or selling points of Disney Comics.

Let's get to Esposito's performance. He was terrible. They treated his voice electronically, so you couldn't even tell it was him, and they didn't even give him any grand villainous monologues, which would be the selling point of casting him in the first place. I cannot recall a brilliant actor more wasted in a voice role than Giancarlo Esposito as the Phantom Blot on DuckTales 2017. And that's a crying shame.

I don't begrudge the show giving Webby and her friends girl power and power of friendship moments. Frankly, the female perspective is the one vast improvement the show made on the male-centered and often sexist comics. That being said, I don't like the female bonding being over magic powers (which is not what the franchise is about) or even worse, arch melodrama. I get that this is reimagining the Ducks for a new Millennium, but none of the changes the show has done are for the better.

I have to admit, I do like this version of Gladstone Gander because I think it understands Carl Barks' message of the character better than Don Rosa did. And yes, that is high praise. But Rosa took great pains to portray nuance in Gladstone, and make any stories centered around him unpredictable and interesting. He did that because he loved the character, because he believed Barks could do no wrong. Barks himself however absolutely hated the character, and I believe he was right to. I will give this episode unending grief for its portrayals of the Blot and of Magica. But it showing that Gladstone is nothing but a helpless, pathetic, useless loser says it understands everything Barks was trying to say with the character. Gladstone didn't always win because Barks was flattering him. It's because he sucked, and Barks was cynical. And his wiping his nose on three 20 dollars bills, crumpling them up, and then tossing them behind him into the swamp is a very clear demonstration of why the characters sucks so much, and has no real redeeming qualities. Rosa sees the character through rose-colored glasses because of his Barks hero worship. The show sees Gladstone for what he actually was.

To be honest, I wanted my compliment of Gladstone to be a bit detailed, because this show is super popular, and I assume my repeated negative reviews have got to be a bit soul-crushing and buzz-wrecking for everyone who just enjoyed what they just saw. So from now on if I see an episode that utterly sucks, if it has a major good point (even if it doesn't save the episode) I WILL talk it up. I should at least be fair when the show does something right. It's not too much to ask, and it's something I am willing and able to do.

But yeah, the episode still sucked. *1/2.

ShadowStar

DuckTales "The Phantom And The Sorceress!"

Sigh.

I was very much looking forward to this. Giancarlo Esposito as the Phantom Blot?! Are you freaking kidding me?! Perfect casting!

And per usual, every inch of the show disappoints me. It doesn't always. But it does usually.

Let's start of with the Blot. He's awful. I don't want to be like Don Rosa in my first complaint about the show being that Scrooge's hat is all wrong. I hope my observations are usually a little deeper than that. But Blot's DESIGN is all wrong. The medieval outlines on the costume, the golden gauntlet, the Blot is supposed to look like an INKBLOT. That's the entire gimmick. This is not something I ever expected to need to complain about. I expected that to be self-evident. But like giving Magic De Spell boobs and dressing her like a streetwalker, this is not a show that understands any of the gimmicks or selling points of Disney Comics.

Let's get to Esposito's performance. He was terrible. They treated his voice electronically, so you couldn't even tell it was him, and they didn't even give him any grand villainous monologues, which would be the selling point of casting him in the first place. I cannot recall a brilliant actor more wasted in a voice role than Giancarlo Esposito as the Phantom Blot on DuckTales 2017. And that's a crying shame.

I don't begrudge the show giving Webby and her friends girl power and power of friendship moments. Frankly, the female perspective is the one vast improvement the show made on the male-centered and often sexist comics. That being said, I don't like the female bonding being over magic powers (which is not what the franchise is about) or even worse, arch melodrama. I get that this is reimagining the Ducks for a new Millennium, but none of the changes the show has done are for the better.

I have to admit, I do like this version of Gladstone Gander because I think it understands Carl Barks' message of the character better than Don Rosa did. And yes, that is high praise. But Rosa took great pains to portray nuance in Gladstone, and make any stories centered around him unpredictable and interesting. He did that because he loved the character, because he believed Barks could do no wrong. Barks himself however absolutely hated the character, and I believe he was right to. I will give this episode unending grief for its portrayals of the Blot and of Magica. But it showing that Gladstone is nothing but a helpless, pathetic, useless loser says it understands everything Barks was trying to say with the character. Gladstone didn't always win because Barks was flattering him. It's because he sucked, and Barks was cynical. And his wiping his nose on three 20 dollars bills, crumpling them up, and then tossing them behind him into the swamp is a very clear demonstration of why the characters sucks so much, and has no real redeeming qualities. Rosa sees the character through rose-colored glasses because of his Barks hero worship. The show sees Gladstone for what he actually was.

To be honest, I wanted my compliment of Gladstone to be a bit detailed, because this show is super popular, and I assume my repeated negative reviews have got to be a bit soul-crushing and buzz-wrecking for everyone who just enjoyed what they just saw. So from now on if I see an episode that utterly sucks, if it has a major good point (even if it doesn't save the episode) I WILL talk it up. I should at least be fair when the show does something right. It's not too much to ask, and it's something I am willing and able to do.

But yeah, the episode still sucked. *1/2.

Frank Angones said on his Tumblr page that all F.O.W.L. villains will recur, so we'll see Phantom Blot again. Perhaps something will happen to him that will cause him to develop his "ink blot" powers -- similar to the Steelbeak arc, with regard to the latter becoming smarter as the season goes on. Phantom Blot may also have more dialogue next time. I was not expecting to hear a lot from him, so I can't say that I was disappointed.

I'm glad that the show is embracing magic as a storytelling theme, even if that does not mesh well with the style of the 80s DuckTales show or the comics. It works for me here, as someone who has not read any of the comics and who has had very little exposure to the 80s TV series. I think that finding creative uses for magic (through the characters of Lena and Magica De Spell) enables the show's crew to tell wonderful, adventurous stories. This episode had such a positive vibe. I'm interested in seeing where they go next with both Lena and Magica, now that the former has taken on an intriguing new identity as a superheroic figure, while the latter has once more become a credible threat to the McDuck family.

Frontier

Staff member
I will say that I think you could have replaced Giancarlo Esposito with John DiMaggio as The Blot (and I agree he doesn't look very Blot-y) and it wouldn't have changed much, which feels like a waste of Esposito.

Perla Magica

Digital Love
I'm also dissapointed at Phantom Blot, not only the voice but this appearance itself. He doesn't look like his comic counterpart from the Detective Mickey comics at all. For the other side, I think the addition of the gauntlet to his appearance was only good thing that I liked.

The episode was really okay and I kinda like Lena's updated look. Other surprising thing is that this show's Magica actually ate garlic while her comic counterpart is literally scared of garlic if I remember correctly.

ShadowBeast

The Phantom And The Sorceress!: I was disappointed in this one. Shame too since I was really looking forward to this one with a hero/villain team-up. Plus I was hoping to see some development from Magica. But it seems like she was crazy and irrational even before being trapped in Scrooge's dime. The whole thing with her and Lena is aggravating as it seems like Magica wants to be proud of her, but there's a blind hatred that Lena has as well. It's also aggravating that because the show focuses more on the kids, Magica is being demoted to be Lena's enemy with little focus on her vs Scrooge. We know that while she doesn't have her magic, she has access to magical items, and yet she does a stage-magician act against the Phantom Blot as if she expected it to work. She's even made into a joke after getting her powers back by being easily defeated by Lena, who has little knowledge and experience with magic, while Magica has centuries of it.

The friendship is magic has been overdone at this point, as it's been thrown around every time Lena has a problem with magic.

I'm not a fan of Lena's redesign. It just doesn't fit the character. Lena isn't exactly the pure-type. It's kind of dumb that Lena becomes so powerful with magic, even though she hates it.

As for the Phantom Blot, I agree that the design wasn't good and even the backstory felt forced. Luckily the design can easily be fixed since removing the medieval getup could reveal the Blot we all know. But the personality doesn't fit with a character that has a history of being a dangerous mastermind. I wouldn't mind the sympathetic background either, but it feels too soon to give him one. I think it would've been better if the story had been about him stealing magic for F.O.W.L. rather than trying to destroy it.

Last edited:

Stumpos

The Phantom And The Sorceress!: I was disappointed in this one. Shame too since I was really looking forward to this one with a hero/villain team-up. Plus I was hoping to see some development from Magica. But it seems like she was crazy and irrational even before being trapped in Scrooge's dime. The whole thing with her and Lena is aggravating as it seems like Magica wants to be proud of her, but there's a blind hatred that Lena has as well. It's also aggravating that because the show focuses more on the kids, Magica is being demoted to be Lena's enemy with little focus on her vs Scrooge. We know that while she doesn't have her magic, she has access to magical items, and yet she does a stage-magician act against the Phantom Blot as if she expected it to work. She's even made into a joke after getting her powers back by being easily defeated by Lena, who has little knowledge and experience with magic, while Magica has centuries of it.

The friendship is magic has been overdone at this point, as it's been thrown around every time Lena has a problem with magic.

I'm not a fan of Lena's redesign. It just doesn't fit the character. Lena isn't exactly the pure-type. It's kind of dumb that Lena becomes so powerful with magic, even though she hates it.

As for the Phantom Blot, I agree that the design wasn't good and even the backstory felt forced. Luckily the design can easily be fixed since removing the medieval getup could reveal the Blot we all know. But the personality doesn't fit with a character that has a history of being a dangerous mastermind. I wouldn't mind the sympathetic background either, but it feels too soon to give him one. I think it would've been better if the story had been about him stealing magic for F.O.W.L. rather than trying to destroy it.
Okay, Frank has said Lena's redesign will only appear in her super mode. And did you really expect Magica to be good before the dime? Shadow War shows she and Scrooge were enemies before that.

So how should they have done Lena's story here then?

ShadowStar

Magica's conflicting motives are probably meant to seem hypocritical. On the one hand, she does indeed expect Lena's loyalty and fidelity to their family/clan/dark legacy. On the other hand, she is envious of Lena, because Lena possesses the amulet and has inherited Magica's powers -- at least, all of that is true up until the last couple of minutes of the episode. So Magica is a rather complex character, but I don't think that she's all that difficult to understand. She's probably deliberately being written in such a way that she is meant to aggravate or frustrate you. :)

I didn't mind seeing Magica as a comical character who was somewhat desperate and powerless in her tactics when faced with the threat of Phantom Blot. In fact, I loved the snake gag. It's also worth keeping in mind that we don't know for sure that Magica has been around for "centuries" (decades, yes, but not necessarily centuries), and it's not yet clear whether the technological devices that she used in "GlomTales!" and "A Nightmare on Killmotor Hill!" are the kinds of things that she has access to on a regular basis, so I wouldn't assume that she has an array of magical items at her disposal. But I share your concern that Magica is generally only interacting with Lena and the other girls (Team Magic), rather than Scrooge. Frank Angones has provided some reassurance on this front:
he has confirmed that Magica and Scrooge will interact this season.

ShadowBeast said:

It's true that the theme of "magic sleepovers" keeps coming up. But given that Lena has magic powers and is the "niece" of Magica De Spell -- and that we've been seeing her recover from abuse at the hands of her creator -- then I'm not sure that it's really surprising that the theme of "friendship magic" keeps coming up. Much like Scrooge and the boys going on adventures in exotic locations, it's just something that happens as a result of who the characters are.

ShadowBeast said:

It seemed to me that the point of this episode was that Lena came to fully embrace and accept magic as an integral part of herself. She practically stated as such at the end of the episode, when she said that she would make use of Magica's training and use her powers for good. In that regard, I would argue that it's logical that her potential would be unleashed and that she would discover a hidden talent or aptitude for exceptional magical prowess. It's not illogical or unrealistic that she would quickly learn to like and appreciate this talent, having made peace with her own personal demons. She may have hated magic earlier on in the episode, but that changed as a result of her confrontation with the Phantom Blot. As for the "Super Sorceress" design, it's probably not how the character of Lena would choose to look and dress, sure, but I felt that the point of this transformation was to show her physical appearance reflecting the good nature within -- similar to Magica's skin turning green (which might suggest decay or corruption) when she has access to her own magic.

ShadowBeast said:

I feel as though having the Phantom Blot steal magic for F.O.W.L. would be an interesting twist, but then again, it makes sense to me that the Blot's goal would be to stamp out his foes. There's still time for his character to evolve or develop beyond that, for those who are dissatisfied.

ShadowBeast

And did you really expect Magica to be good before the dime? Shadow War shows she and Scrooge were enemies before that.
I never expected her to be good before the dime. But I did figure she wouldn't be irrational like she is now.

I didn't mind seeing Magica as a comical character who was somewhat desperate and powerless in her tactics when faced with the threat of Phantom Blot. In fact, I loved the snake gag.
I don't mind seeing a comical-side of Magica either, but it just felt stupid of her to use cheap magician tricks and expect them to work. Now if she had mixed those tricks with actual magical items to throw the Blot off or use the tricks as a distraction, that would've been both rational of her as well as comical.

It's also worth keeping in mind that we don't know for sure that Magica has been around for "centuries" (decades, yes, but not necessarily centuries),
Yeah, I misheard her when she told her backstory. Kind of a shame since it means that the Phantom Blot would be centuries old too and it would be fun hearing/thinking of theories on how he survived for so long.

and it's not yet clear whether the technological devices that she used in "GlomTales!" and "A Nightmare on Killmotor Hill!" are the kinds of things that she has access to on a regular basis, so I wouldn't assume that she has an array of magical items at her disposal. But I share your concern that Magica is generally only interacting with Lena and the other girls (Team Magic), rather than Scrooge. Frank Angones has provided some reassurance on this front:
I wouldn't exactly refer to an item that dispels ghost as a "technological device", but I see your point that Magica isn't guaranteed to have an array magical items (she definitely has one or two that helped her with her lair). But it would've made sense as it would've still made her a threat, Scrooge even considered her still a threat in GlomTales despite no longer having her magic. So he must know that she had some tricks still up her sleeve. I'm glad that we'll be getting some interactions between Scrooge and Magica.

It's true that the theme of "magic sleepovers" keeps coming up. But given that Lena has magic powers and is the "niece" of Magica De Spell -- and that we've been seeing her recover from abuse at the hands of her creator -- then I'm not sure that it's really surprising that the theme of "friendship magic" keeps coming up. Much like Scrooge and the boys going on adventures in exotic locations, it's just something that happens as a result of who the characters are.
It's still annoying of Webby having to keep bringing it up. At least with going on exotic adventures, the places are different. And this thing that still bugs me, how exactly is Magica and Lena, Aunt and niece? If anything, wouldn't Magica be Lena's mother since she created her?

It seemed to me that the point of this episode was that Lena came to fully embrace and accept magic as an integral part of herself. She practically stated as such at the end of the episode, when she said that she would make use of Magica's training and use her powers for good. In that regard, I would argue that it's logical that her potential would be unleashed and that she would discover a hidden talent or aptitude for exceptional magical prowess. It's not illogical or unrealistic that she would quickly learn to like and appreciate this talent, having made peace with her own personal demons. She may have hated magic earlier on in the episode, but that changed as a result of her confrontation with the Phantom Blot. As for the "Super Sorceress" design, it's probably not how the character of Lena would choose to look and dress, sure, but I felt that the point of this transformation was to show her physical appearance reflecting the good nature within -- similar to Magica's skin turning green (which might suggest decay or corruption) when she has access to her own magic.
It still feels dumb that Lena was able to defeat her "aunt" so easily after just gaining her abilities and using a lot of it to defeat the Blot.

I feel as though having the Phantom Blot steal magic for F.O.W.L. would be an interesting twist, but then again, it makes sense to me that the Blot's goal would be to stamp out his foes. There's still time for his character to evolve or develop beyond that, for those who are dissatisfied.
Phantom Blot could've still been stealing magic and plan to use it for his own gain.

I hope Lena doesn't come to hate magic as much as a certain princess did....
Spoiler: The Phantom Blot is really Star Butterfly in disguise.

ShadowStar

It's still annoying of Webby having to keep bringing it up. At least with going on exotic adventures, the places are different. And this thing that still bugs me, how exactly is Magica and Lena, Aunt and niece? If anything, wouldn't Magica be Lena's mother since she created her?

Aren't the locations different in the sleepover/magic episodes as well? I know that many of them take place in McDuck Manor, but sometimes they switch things up -- as they did here by having most of the episode take place in a swamp.

I would say that Magica and Lena are mother and daughter, but it appears that none of the characters are comfortable in making that analogy. They prefer the pretence of aunt and niece.
ShadowBeast said:
It still feels dumb that Lena was able to defeat her "aunt" so easily after just gaining her abilities and using a lot of it to defeat the Blot.

It wasn't really a defeat -- she caught Magica off guard, and in the confusion, Magica lost her staff. Then Gladstone distracted her so that she couldn't see precisely where it fell. It stands to reason that Magica has the power to summon the staff to her, because we saw her do this in "The Shadow War!" immediately after she escaped from the dime. But here she panicked, and the girls left moments later, before we could see Magica get hands on that staff again. I imagine that Magica found the staff very quickly and that she'll be a big threat to the heroes the next time they see her. Keep in mind though that we don't know how powerful Lena is now -- maybe she can take down both the Blot and Magica without breaking a sweat. We just don't know, though the ending of this episode implied that her power wasn't in any way exhausted by the final battle with the Phantom Blot.

ShadowBeast

Aren't the locations different in the sleepover/magic episodes as well? I know that many of them take place in McDuck Manor, but sometimes they switch things up -- as they did here by having most of the episode take place in a swamp.
The locations aren't the main focus in the "Lena needs friendship" episodes. The focus is on Lena being negative and Webby having to keep reminding her of friendship.

I would say that Magica and Lena are mother and daughter, but it appears that none of the characters are comfortable in making that analogy. They prefer the pretence of aunt and niece.
I was figuring either Magica didn't want to be called mom, or the writers wanted a Magica and Lena to have parallel roles to Scrooge and his nephews. Maybe both. It would be funny if someone pointed tis out.

It wasn't really a defeat -- she caught Magica off guard, and in the confusion, Magica lost her staff. Then Gladstone distracted her so that she couldn't see precisely where it fell. It stands to reason that Magica has the power to summon the staff to her, because we saw her do this in "The Shadow War!" immediately after she escaped from the dime. But here she panicked, and the girls left moments later, before we could see Magica get hands on that staff again. I imagine that Magica found the staff very quickly and that she'll be a big threat to the heroes the next time they see her.
I sure hope that is the case.

Keep in mind though that we don't know how powerful Lena is now -- maybe she can take down both the Blot and Magica without breaking a sweat. We just don't know, though the ending of this episode implied that her power wasn't in any way exhausted by the final battle with the Phantom Blot.
That I hope isn't the case. Scrooge is a already a known force to reckon with, and a lot of his foes are jokes(aside from Magica and Lunaris). If Lena is really that powerful, she's really gonna need her own Achille's heel, otherwise she's just OP.

ShadowStar

The locations aren't the main focus in the "Lena needs friendship" episodes. The focus is on Lena being negative and Webby having to keep reminding her of friendship.

Sure, though I think that this has only been the case in two episodes: "A Nightmare on Killmotor Hill!" and "The Phantom and the Sorceress!" We've seen Lena's need for reassurance in the midst of her vulnerability in those two episodes, but not really in any of the others -- not even in "Friendship Hates Magic!" And given her confidence at the end of the most recent episode, I doubt that she will need to continue leaning quite so heavily upon her friends. But it did make sense at the time, given the context of her character arc in those episodes.

ShadowBeast said:
I was figuring either Magica didn't want to be called mom, or the writers wanted a Magica and Lena to have parallel roles to Scrooge and his nephews. Maybe both. It would be funny if someone pointed tis out.

Great point!

ShadowBeast said:
That I hope isn't the case. Scrooge is a already a known force to reckon with, and a lot of his foes are jokes(aside from Magica and Lunaris). If Lena is really that powerful, she's really gonna need her own Achille's heel, otherwise she's just OP.

F.O.W.L. will probably figure out a way of dealing with her.

TsWade2

The Phantom of the Sorceress

Another interesting episode about Lena. This must be a second episode of the adorable Webby, Lena, and Violet. In this episode, Lena is having a hard time controlling her amulet every time they she and her friends having an adventure with. I was laughing so hard that Gladstone is having bad luck like Donald Duck. TBH, serves him right. I mean, I don’t hate Gladstone, but sometimes when he gets lucky every time, it gets so obnoxious.I’m glad to see they include the Phantom Blot who is part of the F.O.W.L Incorperated. Then, Lena and her aunt Magic’s we’re reunited, in a very bad way. Phantom Blot was trying to get Magica’s magic. I love it when Magica did some shadow puppets of her flashback. Magica was forced to trained Lena to control her power of magic. I love the 80s type music during the training, which of course I love to hear 80s songs, because I was born in the 80s.I even laughed harder that Gladstone was turned to Donald Duck and freaked out. So, when Lena is fighting with Phantom Blot, instead of the purple amulet, she uses Webby’s friendship bracelet to deafest Phantom Blot and she was transformed into a good sorceress. I guess Friendship Is Magic! Sound familiar? Sadly, Magica grabs Lena’s amulet and she got her powers again. YIKES! But, she got defeated too. I enjoy this episode. It’s fun and it was slightly epic. I’m so glad we’re going to see more episodes of Ducktales.

ShadowStar

I really enjoyed "They Put a Moonlander on the Earth!" Not a lot to say about this one, other than that it was fun and that it was very nicely paced. This episode just flew by. There was nothing groundbreaking here -- we've all seen this kind of story before -- but I thought it was delightful.

SweetShop209

Storyboard artist Sam King (who co-wrote and co-directed this episode) showed how the episode would've been very different. Her storyboards (which are 2 years old) showed Penumbra hanging out with the whole family, compared to the final product, where she's mainly with Webby, Dewey, and Launchpad.

Also, this is Penumbra's big hurrah for the season.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember when I said The Dog and Pony Show should come to Qubo? Well, it's probably not happening. Since Discovery is a co producer it will probably end up on Discovery Family and Discovery Famiila.
Did anybody notice the error just tonight on Nick? At 7:57PMish after Despicable Me 2 error?
I love the smell of rain at night and the end of Daylight Savings here.
Scott Innes apparently put up his Christmas tree....in October. It looks pretty good though.