Dreamworks to launch a TV channel in Asia

RegularCapital

Staff member

Silverstar

Jet Flyin', Limousine Ridin'
Asia, eh? I guess no one in the US was buying.

Dreamworks could conceivably launch such a channel in the West as well, but I guess they'd first need to secure a partner with deep pockets, no easy task given how greedy and overreaching Katzenberg has proven himself to be.

It's a real shame Katz screwed up the proposed merger with Hasbro so badly; both companies could have potentially benefitted from it. Dreamworks could've used the financial backing, and I'd really like to see Hasbro/DHX split from Discovery; it's painfully obvious that Discovery Family is a sinking ship with no future, and while I have my share of nitpicks with MLP and LPS, Hasbro's animated properties deserve a better outlet than DiscFam.

RegularCapital

Staff member
Asia, eh? I guess no one in the US was buying.

Dreamworks could conceivably launch such a channel in the West as well, but I guess they'd first need to secure a partner with deep pockets, no easy task given how greedy and overreaching Katzenberg has proven himself to be.

It's a real shame Katz screwed up the proposed merger with Hasbro so badly; both companies could have potentially benefitted from it. Dreamworks could've used the financial backing, and I'd really like to see Hasbro/DHX split from Discovery; it's painfully obvious that Discovery Family is a sinking ship with no future, and while I have my share of nitpicks with MLP and LPS, Hasbro's animated properties deserve a better outlet than DiscFam.

I agree, at least Dreamworks will be getting some broadcasting experience now, so it might interest Hasbro at a later date. The merger would of benefited Dreamworks as they need new properties for movies and TV shows, and it would of helped Hasbro by using movies and TV shows to sell toys.

Either Hasbro or Dreamworks could even partner up with DHX like you said, they have a large library and they're now responsible for the Disney Channels in Canada, so they now have some broadcasting experience.

ILDC

I agree, at least Dreamworks will be getting some broadcasting experience now, so it might interest Hasbro at a later date. The merger would of benefited Dreamworks as they need new properties for movies and TV shows, and it would of helped Hasbro by using movies and TV shows to sell toys.
Sure, let's let both companies relay even more on bland projects, instead of using those combined resources to actually compete with Disney.

Anyway, regarding the DreamWorks channel, I'm not surprised it's not launching in the West. DWA already has a series deal with Netflix, and its own YouTube channel for original content. A US DreamWorks channel would most likely be reruns only, which is a dead model over here. The Asian countries get a pass because they don't have Netflix.

RegularCapital

Staff member
Sure, let's let both companies relay even more on bland projects, instead of using those combined resources to actually compete with Disney.

Anyway, regarding the DreamWorks channel, I'm not surprised it's not launching in the West. DWA already has a series deal with Netflix, and its own YouTube channel for original content. A US DreamWorks channel would most likely be reruns only, which is a dead model over here. The Asian countries get a pass because they don't have Netflix.

Actually there's plans for Netflix to be available worldwide by 2020, I don't know how this channel would work especially with Netflix expanding into more Asia-Pacific markets between now and 2020 and if the contract continues.

https://gigaom.com/2014/12/08/netflix-exec-we-want-to-be-everywhere-in-the-world-in-five-years/

Dudley

Staff member
This is great for DWA. Along with the 300 hours of shows they have in production for Netflix, and the entire Classic Media library, they're reported to have around 600 hours of new content in development. If DWA is smart they'll spend time not focusing on cartoons based off of their movies, and focus on making new shows off on their acquired properties (like maybe a new Felix the Cat cartoon) or develop new IP entirely. It's interesting that HBO Asia is collaborating with them for this. I'm glad DWA has contingencies set up since theatrical animated films aren't going so well for them.
Actually there's plans for Netflix to be available worldwide by 2020, I don't know how this channel would work especially with Netflix expanding into more Asia-Pacific markets between now and 2020 and if the contract continues. https://gigaom.com/2014/12/08/netflix-exec-we-want-to-be-everywhere-in-the-world-in-five-years/
I recall reading somewhere that Netflix's original shows can and will be allowed to air on TV once the exclusive rights to the shows expire. Dreamworks and Netflix probably have the rights for all of this straightened out.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts