DreamWorks Animation News and Discussion Thread

sasq

Discuss all things DreamWorks Animation related.

Last edited:

ToonJay723

Staff member
I think they might go back to Paramount. Universal and Warner Bros will also be good choices, especially WB since the only original film they have lined up is Storks.

I think that they might renew it.
After the backlash the producers and animators gave them after their terrible marketing for How to Train Your Dragon 2 and Trolls?

o0Ampy0o

The Fox distribution deal is gonna be dust in 2017. who is gonna distribute films for dreamworks animation?
Someone will. It really makes no difference who. The day no one is interested in doing it under whatever name is when it will matter.

WARNING: The OP changed the thread title and original post 2 months after starting the thread. No one should be allowed to do that. It makes all of the responses to the original thread topic irrelevant.

Last edited:

jaylop97

Staff member
I think that Columbia Pictures would sound like a good idea for Dreamworks to work with, since they had worked with them in past movies and they could surely benefit by distributing animated movies.

sasq

I think that Columbia Pictures would sound like a good idea for Dreamworks to work with, since they had worked with them in past movies and they could surely benefit by distributing animated movies.

Don't confuse dreamworks pictures with dreamworks animation. they are two different companies.

the greenman

I think FOX should stick with Dreamworks. Only other studio I can think of is Universal and they have enough success with Illumination's Despicable Me films. Most studios seem to be content with animation having a project by project basis, not dedicated in house stuff.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

Takao

Fight the darkness all around

I don't think Sony Pictures Animation would like that.

jaylop97

Staff member
I don't think Sony Pictures Animation would like that.
Then again this article states how Sony may want to considering their lack of movies and they see difficulty getting good results on their movies, and I for one do think that Sony would be a good partner for Dreamworks compared to the other distributers.

Dudley

Staff member
I think they'll just stick with Fox for now. It'll be good if they move to Universal, because they do an effective job promoting the Illumination films.

a buyout even more. cause they don't own a ''real'' animation division.
Not like they need one. There's nothing wrong with WAG's outsourcing animation model.

Gear3dGryph0n

I think DWA is going to struggle financially for the next few years. Their upcoming slate doesn't look like it has the kind of energy they did in their early days. Most likely they'll be turning out moderately-performing films like Turbo, Home, and The Croods for a while to come. Another distribution partner is probably going to come easy to them, considering their standing within the industry, but most studios already have their own animation division. A complete takeover would probably be a better move for any prospective buyer.

Katzenberg's revenge mission to Disney is complete, for the most part. He proved that other studios can compete against Disney. However, the studio seems to be heavily reliant on its cash cow franchises and might be losing ground to Illumination in the second-banana-to-Disney spot.

lunadraws94

Turning this forum's head since 2016!
This is a rumour: Dreamworks Animation wants to open a kids channel in Europe, they've already got one in Asia, I suppose a shift of focus from movies to linear TV/Netflix TV shows maybe?

http://mediaboyblog.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/rumour-up-to-seven-channels-may-launch.html
I'm not so sure they even have enough targeted content in their library to launch DreamWorks Junior as a standalone channel. Maybe they'll steal some shows away from the competition.

DonTrashRoom

Have a nice trip, see you next fall
DreamWorks Animation can't sustain itself for much longer. It's kinda hard to believe that DreamWorks went from a motion picture distributor back in the 1990s and early 2000s - backed by Jeffrey Katzenberg, David Geffen, and the legendary Steven Spielberg - to an animation studio whose films are being distributed by another company.

RegularCapital

Staff member
I'm not so sure they even have enough targeted content in their library to launch DreamWorks Junior as a standalone channel. Maybe they'll steal some shows away from the competition.

If such a channel would exist, it would be something similar to what Hoolee was in Africa, Dreamworks shows were the main output on that channel (apart from Turner's own shows). It would be Dreamworks + Third Party shows.

In retrospect, Dreamworks shouldn't of split, or Dreamworks Animation shouldn't of gone alone.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts