DreamWorks Animation News and Discussion Thread

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
Ever since Katzenberg sold DreamWorks and the inclusion of the new team spearheading the studio with new projects, original series, and short films, it's been a big kick in the butt for more works to thrive.

DeanBurrito25

Ever since Katzenberg sold DreamWorks and the inclusion of the new team spearheading the studio with new projects, original series, and short films, it's been a big kick in the butt for more works to thrive.
I never thought of it like that, but you've got a point.

Perhaps Katzenberg was the one holding back his own studio's potential this whole time?

Dudley

Staff member
I never thought of it like that, but you've got a point.

Perhaps Katzenberg was the one holding back his own studio's potential this whole time?

Katzenberg had a lot of ambition, but (and I don’t know if it was his decision or not) I feel that making the company go public was probably the worst moves they ever did, since all it took was one movie to underperform to seriously hurt the studio, not to mention have all the movies have budgets over $100 million. Plus they waited way too long to invest in a TV division.
I guess in the end it’s more of a matter of if his bad decisions outweigh the good? It’s way too early to tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nexonius

Katzenberg had a lot of ambition, but (and I don’t know if it was his decision or not) I feel that making the company go public was probably the worst moves they ever did, since all it took was one movie to underperform to seriously hurt the studio, not to mention have all the movies have budgets over $100 million. Plus they waited way too long to invest in a TV division.
I guess in the end it’s more of a matter of if his bad decisions outweigh the good? It’s way too early to tell.

They could've kept the original division from the 90s and evolved from that.

Nexonius

http://deadline.com/2018/04/fast-fu...l-dreamworks-animation-television-1202374572/

Wow, I was going to be surprised by this news but then I remember the article from Jeff Shell back in 2016 when they talked about not having a studio before the acquisition was completed.

"We were willing to pay and the reason for that is we liked the company for a number of strategic reasons that had nothing to do with just the pure profitability. So, for example, they had a television operation that we are in the first inning of setting up here at Universal that’s going to take us five to seven years and tons of investment and a lot of luck to get to where they’ve gotten. So the day after this deal closes, we can pump property through that television operation — whether it’s Fast and Furious or Jurassic World — and create value because they have a business that’s up and going with a creative team and a TV animation structure that would take us years to build. Ultimately this was a "buy vs. build" decision for us. We built some of our own franchises and stories, we can continue to do that, but now we got a whole pile of them that they created".

The interesting part of the link reveals that not only this strengthens the DWA/Netflix relationship in spite of the two new shows going to Amazon, but Netflix gets the first dibs on the Universal properties. Hopefully Universal Kids can get a piece of the original series.

Dudley

Staff member
I think I remember that. I knew we were going to get a Fast and Furious cartoon eventually. That quote also explains why Universal doesn’t make use of Universal Cartoon Studios, which, according to a quick search on Wikipedia, has merged with DWA TV after the acquisition.
Judging from the pic the show will probably be all CG, which is understandable. The franchise has a strong emphasis on vehicles, which is much easier to animate in CG than 2D.

DWA TV is reportedly working on a Minions show as well, so I guess that’ll head to Netflix in the future.

I gotta say, in a time where the largest animation studios in the country have consolidated with networks, it’s nice to see a studio flourishing by producing content for competing platforms, networks, and services. This must be what Hanna-Barbera was like back in its heyday!

Nexonius

I think I remember that. I knew we were going to get a Fast and Furious cartoon eventually. That quote also explains why Universal doesn’t make use of Universal Cartoon Studios, which, according to a quick search on Wikipedia, has merged with DWA TV after the acquisition.
Judging from the pic the show will probably be all CG, which is understandable. The franchise has a strong emphasis on vehicles, which is much easier to animate in CG than 2D.

DWA TV is reportedly working on a Minions show as well, so I guess that’ll head to Netflix in the future.

I gotta say, in a time where the largest animation studios in the country have consolidated with networks, it’s nice to see a studio flourishing by producing content for competing platforms, networks, and services. This must be what Hanna-Barbera was like back in its heyday!

According to the artists working on Curious George, Universal Animation Studios is stationed at DWA. They're also working on Alvin and the Chipmunks....whatever project that may be.

Frank Coufal

According to the artists working on Curious George, Universal Animation Studios is stationed at DWA. They're also working on Alvin and the Chipmunks....whatever project that may be.
Universal Animation Studios ought to be put to better use, only this time they should focus on TV shows instead of direct-to-video fodder. I'd like to see UAS frequently collaborate with Amblin Entertainment at some point.

DeanBurrito25

“Boss Baby” sequels

Wait a minute. I...I think I'm gonna need to sit down for a while...

Does this mean all of the Netflix original series will be moving or no?

DeanBurrito25

Well, good, I still want to get around to watching the Peabody and Sherman reboot.

Dudley

Staff member
Wait a minute. I...I think I'm gonna need to sit down for a while...

The full quote was "including upcoming “How to Train Your Dragon” and “Boss Baby” sequels" which referes to the one sequel each film is getting.

Universal owns 30% of Hulu, so this move makes sense. The deal with Netflix wasn't going to last forever, so it's good that they have an additional home for their future output. The real question is will they be producing as much for Hulu as they did for Netflix...
But wow, now Netflix will be producing content for three streaming platforms and Universal Kids, they really are becoming the Hanna-Barbera of the digital age.

Nexonius

The full quote was "including upcoming “How to Train Your Dragon” and “Boss Baby” sequels" which referes to the one sequel each film is getting.

Universal owns 30% of Hulu, so this move makes sense. The deal with Netflix wasn't going to last forever, so it's good that they have an additional home for their future output. The real question is will they be producing as much for Hulu as they did for Netflix...
But wow, now Netflix will be producing content for three streaming platforms and Universal Kids, they really are becoming the Hanna-Barbera of the digital age.

They already are like Hanna-Barbera at this point. My guess is that they'll go deeper into the Classic Media library and make old characters popular, like Underdog and The Lone Ranger.

Nexonius

Well, if anyone noticed the new HTTYD:THW trailer, the new DreamWorks logo is seen, complete with a Comcast byline. I guess it's super official now:
Screenshot_2018-06-07-18-22-18.png

Nexonius

And they’ve dropped “Animation” from the logo. Interesting.
Can’t wait to see the logo animated!

Not to mention the SKG letters. This is the first Universal led film so it should be nothing short of amazing. They also did it for the opening logo on their TV shows starting with the new Rocky and Bullwinkle series.

Dudley

Staff member
Not to mention the SKG letters. This is the first Universal led film so it should be nothing short of amazing. They also did it for the opening logo on their TV shows starting with the new Rocky and Bullwinkle series.

If I recall, the last few episodes of Trollhunters did the same.

DeanBurrito25

Looks like we've gone full circle with the Dreamworks Animation logos - back to just "Dreamworks" at the beginning. Nowadays when you mention Dreamworks' the animation sector comes to mind first instead of live action, I suppose.

How befitting that the first How To Train Your Dragon brought about this updated logo...
...and we're getting a brand new one with the release of the third and final chapter.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts