Dragon Ball Super's 1st Movie - Announced

• Enter to win two tickets to MIRAI plus Merch. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

jaylop97

Staff member
Oct 5, 2014
Ratings
5,300 36
Austin, Texas
Considering how Resurection F and the Destroyer movies went, I feel more motivated for this one as Super is about to finish and I think for now a movie would sound good just as long as they don't make another season just to retale the movie's events, which looks unlikely for now.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
May 18, 2006
Ratings
974 1
East Northport
Well the anime series is ending for now. Pretty clear that they're taking a break from the anime so the team can go and work on the movie and then after that can go back to the series because Super is currently too popular to just end for the sake of low ratings so pretty clear they're just ending it so time can be put on the movie. And yeah I doubt when Super comes back we'll get an anime adaptation of this arc considering how sour the last two arcs are and how much even in terms of ratings the show went up when it started covering more original material.

CyberCubed

Sep 25, 2004
Ratings
45 1
NY
Considering the last two movies gave Goku new Saiyan forms, both God and Blue....wait till this one gives him Super Saiyan Rainbow or something.

So damn tired of Goku's color-swap power ups.

ShadowBeast

May 9, 2013
Ratings
1,956 10
Elizabeth,NJ
Shockingly, the film's title has been released, and...it's Dragon Ball Super: Broly. Yes, this is not a drill. Broly is back, and now canon. @ShadowBeast you get your wish.

EDIT: Poster.
View attachment 140251
Broli was just too much of an awesome character to not make canon. Others I would hope to see to be made canon are Cooler and Bojak's Gang(I only say this simply because of Zangya).
I wonder how powerful Broli will become? Will he ascend into Super Saiyan God? Are Pilaf and his gang responsible for the resurrection of another one of Goku's enemies? Of course we'll have to wait and see.

Also, wow. We may get to see Broly and Frieza interact.
That would be awesome. Frieza meeting the Saiyan of legend.

jaylop97

Staff member
Oct 5, 2014
Ratings
5,300 36
Austin, Texas
Broly's been overexposed for a good amount of DB related movies, I feel like another movie with him isn't anything special but depending the route the movie goes it could be a step up from other Broly movies.

DBTrilogy100

Mar 9, 2010
Ratings
United States
So Broly has joined Bardock as a "Canon Immigrant", I think it's pretty cool to see Akira Toriyama show a willingness to incorporate characters he didn't create into the "Canon Story"/"Main Continuity". Personally, I'm hoping Gogeta will eventually join Bardock & Broly on the franchise's list of Canon Immigrants and I wouldn't mind if Cooler joined that list too. While it is true that Broly has had 3 movies before, I think it's fair to point out that Bardock was portrayed differently by Akira Toriyama compared to his portrayal in the TV Special (Bardock as he appears in DB- was shown to be somewhat nicer than how he appears in the TV Special by actually caring about his family), so Broly's portrayal here is not going to be the exact same experience as before.

On the topic of the Legendary Super Saiyan, Broly is probably the best example of a "base breaker" I've seen: some really love him and some really hate him. I can understand why Broly isn't everyone's favorite character and I also understand why many like him while also agreeing that some have a point about him getting an excessive amount of hate lately because of his more extreme fans. I never agreed with the idea of hating something just because some fans can be a bit extreme about it.

Personally, I like Broly for what he is and think he served his role as a "villain who is more of a force of nature than an actual character" well. While Broly's motives is a sore point for some, I never saw Broly's reason for hating Goku as simply because "Goku cried a lot"; I saw it more as Broly came to associate Goku's crying with the near death trauma he endured around that time. Yes, it's irrational but Broly isn't sound of mind and it makes sense in its own irrational way (as paradoxical as that sounds), much like how one might associate hearing a bell ringing with pain if one always heard a bell ring when they had pain inflicted upon them.

Overall, I can understand why Broly isn't everyone's favorite character and recognize he isn't the most complex character in the franchise but I also recognize that many characters in the franchise aren't really complex (Zamasu is probably the most complex villain of the franchise, although one could make an argument for Baby from DBGT also being an example of a villain from the franchise who is more than "just evil for the sake of being evil") and I feel Broly isn't as shallow of a character as some claim he is.

Having said all of that, I am interested in seeing Akira Toriyama's interpretation of Broly and what that interpretation will be like compared to the character's "non-canon counterpart". I guess we'll just have to be patient and see how things unfold once the movie is eventually released to the public.

Last edited:

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
May 18, 2006
Ratings
974 1
East Northport
Well it's pretty clear the old gray Sayian in the trailer is Paragus (at least this movie's variation of Paragus) and since we are getting Freiza I'm sure we'll get an explanation of why these guys also survived the extinction of the Sayians. Honestly Brolly being a science experiment gone wrong is still a much better explanation then the whole "he hates Goku because he cried next to him as a baby." I have a feeling we're still going to get that stupid bit for some reason considering there are shots of baby Broly at the end but... hopefully there's a better take on that. I do wonder how serious this movie is compared to the last two as Resurection F despite having serious battles still had a lot of goofy moments but it seems like the cast is more streamlined here then in the other movies. The animation still looks good and I am glad we are seeing Freiza pop up since yeah if this follows some of the plot of the 8th movie, Paragus would want revenge on him in addition to Vegeta and Kakkerot. I'm also glad we're getting a sort of simulteaous release so it won't be the months upon months difference that Battle of Gods and Resurrection F had. So yeah those of us who want to just see the dub will only have to wait like a... month for it to come to theaters which is better again then the months from previous films.

Spotlight

Latest profile posts

I was just about to say "Where's Gridman?" on that Crunchyroll streaming thread.
DISH had recent upgrades on the 61.5 orbital slot this early morning. My signal strengths got increased and transponders were moved to another.

How Cartoon Network and TBS moved to other transponders. :P
What I love from the commercial studio Psyop, is the Cricket Wireless critters (known as the Cricketters) in different shapes and colored in Green, Yellow and Blue. So imaginative and cute! :)
Most Europeans here don't know about the old Grinch Christmas special. Even in Portugal.
When Is the Nickelodeon Highlights usually up for December? I Was just wondering...