Dragon Ball Super Reruns coming to weeknights @ 8:00 starting 7/2

wjbraden

According to some updated grids, King of the Hill is being removed from [as], making way for reruns of Dragon Ball Super (from episode 1) on weeknights!

All I can say is it's about time that we had some anime back on the lineup (in primetime no less!), as it's been almost 10 years since [as] has aired anime regualarly outside Saturday night. Hope this signals more and better changes to come.

jaylop97

Staff member
I had a feeling a Dragon Ball series would have always joined the regular Adult Swim hours.

I really hope they air other incarnations of Dragon Ball as well, I know Super is the only one at the moment that is airing but it would also be a good use of the series to rerun one of the other shows as well, that's if they can.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Anime on weekdays for the first time in nearly a decade? Sweet! Still, it's obvious that only a select few anime, that includes Dragonball and ...maybe Naruto Shippuden could hold a weekend spot without terrible ratings. It would be cool if My Hero Academia or another anime got a weekday spot, but it's unspectacular Saturday ratings show that it would probably be a bad idea.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
I guess Super finally had enough episodes for "syndication". :p

I could easily see Kai joining it eventually. As for Hero Academia, I wouldn't be surprised...but it needs way more episodes before it can have a weekday slot.

wjbraden

I wonder if takes the repeat KOTH 5:30am slot as well?
Yes, it's completely off the network after June 30th. This is the new weekend schedule starting next Monday:
8:00 Dragon Ball Super
8:30 American Dad
9:00 Cleveland Show
9:30 American Dad
10:00 Bob's Burgers x2
11:00 Family Guy x2
12:00 Rick and Morty
12:30 Venture Brothers
1:00 Robot Chicken
1:15 Hot Package
1:30 Bob's Burgers x2
2:30 Family Guy x2
3:30 American Dad
4:00 DVR Theater
4:30 Rick and Morty
5:00 Robot Chicken x2
5:30 Cleveland Show

Saturday and Sunday showings are being replaced with extra Cleveland reruns too.

Ironically, the last time anime aired on weeknights was in December of 2008 (Inuyasha at 5:30), the week before King of the Hill came to the network and now that it's going off the air, anime is coming back. Kind of funny.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
HunterXHunter and JoJo are probably way too niche to be on weekdays, despite them being third and fourth most popular long runners, behind MHA and Super. That shows how big a gap there is between casual appeal anime and non-casual appeal anime. Also, this is a way better timeslot than that 5:30 Inuyasha slot. This is a real, prime time spot. A huge deal for anime.

Light Lucario

Staff member
That's pretty cool news. I didn't realize that they were having reruns on weeknights and that it has been that long since Adult Swim aired anime outside of Saturday nights. Super has quite a few episodes for them to run through and it is a popular enough title to where they would want to air it on a weekday slot. I could see them doing the same thing with DBZ Kai now that it has completed its run on Toonami.

Hunter x Hunter would be a nice choice too. A weekday slot would help with its slow pacing and dialogue heavy episodes, but it doesn't have the same casual appeal as something like a Dragon Ball series does. Same with Jojo in that regard. As much as I'd love to see My Hero Academia given a repeat slot, they'd probably want to air new episodes on Toonami and we're just a little over halfway through the first season. I could maybe see it happening once Toonami finishes airing season three or at the earliest season two, but it won't be for some time either way.

Super does work nicely as a transition between Cartoon Network and Adult Swim. It can be a bit more intense than what kids watching Cartoon Network could normally be watching, but not to the point where it would be too violent or intense for them. The fact that it would appeal to a lot of people who grew up watching DBZ is a good bonus in its favor too. Aside from My Hero Academia, I don't think that too many other shows on the current lineup would work as a transition like Super does.

Golden Geek

Radio Demon
Staff member
Reporter
I think Super is great for the 8:00 slot. I just never thought they'd actually do it.

However, I think American Dad/The Cleveland Show are inappropriate for the 8:30/5:30 timeslots. Rotations of shows like Home Movies, Sealab 2021, Space Ghost: Coast to Coast, or something from Toonami like My Hero Academia or DBZ Kai: The Next Chapters would be more appropriate.

LinusFan303

Squeak
And since I think Super is mostly rated PG from what i've seen on the ratings box, it fits the buffer well too.

Dudley

Staff member
I heard AS is losing the rights to KOTH. I’m not happy about it or that DBZ is taking the slot, but I barely watch the live broadcast of CN anymore anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlooMac

However, I think American Dad/The Cleveland Show are inappropriate for the 8:30/5:30 timeslots. Rotations of shows like Home Movies, Sealab 2021, Space Ghost: Coast to Coast, or something from Toonami like My Hero Academia or DBZ Kai: The Next Chapters would be more appropriate.
Bob's Burgers is also not a bad buffer, even if some episodes are TV-14. It's basically the tamest FOX show they've got.

RDG

Aspiring animator/filmmaker and Ugliest Man Alive
And since I think Super is mostly rated PG from what i've seen on the ratings box, it fits the buffer well too.

but most episodes are rated TV-14, which makes more sense, since the games and manga are Teen-rated

wjbraden

I heard AS is losing the rights to KOTH. I’m not happy about it or that DBZ is taking the slot, but I barely watch the live broadcast of CN anymore anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can't say KOTH didn't have a good run though, considering it ran almost every single night for the past 9 and a half years, and was a show that was already cancelled for most of its run on [as]. It was a nice show to watch now and again, but I think it's time for Hank to take a nice long rest in propane heaven (plus you can still see it on many local stations in synadication).

Now if Cleveland could only be laid to rest...

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
This is the best news I've heard in a long time.

Not only is AS getting rid of that snooze-fest (I still don't understand how it made 13 seasons), but they're also taking a chance with anime on weekdays again instead of another Fox rerun? This is fantastic news!

I hope the ratings are successful enough. I don't want this chance to be wasted.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
but most episodes are rated TV-14, which makes more sense, since the games and manga are Teen-rated

It's a very soft TV-14 at that. There's been only two scenes with blood in this whole series and only a small number of naughty words and crude humor. Some episodes of My Hero Academia (in season 2) and Black Clover are total bloodbaths in comparison, and they are the tamest shows. There's lots of reasons why this would work as a buffer. Considering how little faith Adult Swim has in Black Clover since its slot demotion, it looks like it would be unlikely to air on weekdays. I think that a 90 minute Toonami Jr. with Super, MHA, and Black Clover would be fun if given a chance, but only the first show would have any ratings hope.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts