Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz

Isn't Boomerang still part of CN? Plus, the series is intended to air on the international Boomerang channels.
Yeah I know that, but that was before the launch of the Boomerang streaming service, and I'd doubt it would air on the Cartoon Network or Boomerang USA channels.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I finally saw the first two episodes of the show. It's definitely pretty light and fluffy, but I feel it does it enough that it feels genuinely sweet. Plus, the comedy is pretty good. Kari Wahlgren's take on Dorothy makes her a lovably naive, all loving, and spunky young girl. The chemistry Scarecrow, Tin Man, and the Lion have feels pretty lively thanks to the performances of Bill Fagerbakke, JP Karliak, and Jess Harnell. There's also Willomena, and I like how Jessica DiCicco manages to give her a delightfully evil burst of energy that makes her really hilarious, and I do see some hidden depths with her character, like the love she showed for the flying monkeys at the end of episode 2, segment 1.

I've mentioned how the preview gave me a Sofia The First vibe. While the show doesn't have Sofia crew members, I do think this show is meant to be a preschool show, not that I think it's a bad thing.

1. The two segments of episode 1 were both written by Jack Ferraiolo, who wrote for Wordgirl, and is the current story editor of Dinosaur Train, both PBS Kids shows. The first segment of episode 2 was written by Rachel Lipman, who in recent years has written for preschool shows. She's the story editor for Splash And Bubbles, and has written for Goldie And Bear, Sheriff Callie, Ready Jet Go, and Dinosaur Train.

2. The credits mention that the story editor is Shea Fontana. Prior to DC Superhero Girls, she worked on Sushi Pack, Doc McStuffins, and Whisker Haven Tales With Palace Pets, all preschool shows. She also wrote for The 7D, which was originally intended for Disney Junior.

3. There was apparently a Wizard Of Oz cartoon from the early 1990s. Two of the writers for that show were the duo of Elena Lesser and Cliff Ruby, who've written primarily for preschool shows like Dragon Tales, Care Bears, and Arthur.

4. While themes like friendship and the like can be found in many kids shows, they're more obvious in preschool shows, as is the case here.

Also, the voice directors for the series are Kristi Reed and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn.

0883929566099_p0_v1_s250x250.jpg
Here is the DVD Cover
Coming November 28, 2017

zoombie

Just me or when I head Dorthy, this Kari Wahlgreen goodie goodie character I can't help but think of Chloe Carmichael.

If this show ever had a proper series finale, I am hoping Willomena gets a redemption. She and Dorthy have a more frenemy relationship, Dorthy doesn't really want to hurt her, and we know she could just need a bucket of water. I wonder if she does would Willomena face still be green or it change to a more human looking color?

ShadowBeast

After watching a few episodes, the show reminds me of The 7D. It's not a show for older kids, but at the same time, it doesn't feel like it's completely a preschool show either, it's feels like it's in between. But unlike The 7D where that show didn't know what it wanted to be, this show does feel like it knows what it wants to be.
One thing that bugs me is the Cowardly Lion's mane. It looks more like a beard with the top of his head is balding.

It's not a bad show, but it's not a show that I can see getting hugely popular either. But despite the princess title, it's rarely mentioned. The main antagonist, Wilhelmina is definitely well written. She does the wicked witch stuff, but she definitely has human side with wanting a pet to play with, and having fun like a normal kid would. I wonder if the weakness of water will ever be brought up? The Queen is likable and isn't a total ditz like 7D's Queen Delightful.

zoombie

Well if this is done by some of the Sofia the First writers are mention in an earlier post, well than maybe Willomena will be redeemed. Sofia has befriended almost all her enemies, (and I know Prisma is going to be next very shortly no doubt) we will see.

One thing I don't get, whatever happened to Dorthy's family in Kansas, did she decide to just ditch them?

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
One thing I don't get, whatever happened to Dorthy's family in Kansas, did she decide to just ditch them?
If she did, I'd get it. That's what movie Dorothy should have done. Who wants to live in a black and white dirt farm while being in the colorful and wonderful Oz? I do not get Dorothy wanting to return home in the movie. At all.

ToonJay723

Staff member
If she did, I'd get it. That's what movie Dorothy should have done. Who wants to live in a black and white dirt farm while being in the colorful and wonderful Oz? I do not get Dorothy wanting to return home in the movie. At all.
Well she's a kid, and most kids want to be with their family. Also, she was under the impression that she broke Aunt Em's heart by running away.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts