"Doom Patrol (Max Series)" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
TVLine reports, a Doom Patrol live-action TV series will premiere in 2019 on the DC Universe digital service and in 2020 and on on the HBO Max digital service.

Season One: February 15 to May 24, 2019
Season Two: June 25, 2020 to August 6, 2020
Season Three: September 23, 2021 to November 11, 2021
Season Four: December 8, 2022 to January 5, 2023 and October 12, 2023 to

doompatroldcdigitallogo1.jpg

The cast includes Negative Man (played by Dwain Murphy), Elasti-Girl (played by April Bowlby) and Crazy Jane, under the guidance of Dr. Niles Caulder aka “The Chief” (played by Bruno Bichir). All of them apparently reprising their roles from Titans.

Jeremy Carver (Supernatural) will write and executive-produce alongside Greg Berlanti, Geoff Johns and Sarah Schechter. 13 episodes have been ordered.

"The Doom Patrol’s members each suffered horrible accidents that gave them superhuman abilities — but also left them scarred and disfigured. Traumatized and downtrodden, the team found purpose through The Chief, who brought them together to investigate the weirdest phenomena in existence — and to protect Earth from what they find. Part support group, part Super Hero team, the Doom Patrol is a band of super-powered freaks who fight for a world that wants nothing to do with them. Picking up after the events of Titans, Doom Patrol will find these reluctant heroes in a place they never expected to be, called to action by none other than Cyborg, who comes to them with a mission hard to refuse, but with a warning that is hard to ignore: their lives will never, ever be the same."

Stay tuned for further updates.

Related discussion:
"Titans" (DC Digital) News & Discussion Thread

Last edited by a moderator:

Frontier

Staff member
I'm honestly not surprised to see them priming a Doom Patrol spinoff for Titans given they were already interested in doing so for Hawk and Dove and made such a big deal about the casting for the group ;).

Should be interesting to see what they do hear, and what kind of take on the Doom Patrol they'll lean into for this interpretation. Classic? Morrison? Way :cool:?

I do find it kind of hilarious that they're using Cyborg in this, given it's a spinoff of Titans, rather then just have Cyborg be part of the Titans :p.

eird that Robotman is apparently the only one not mentioned, especially since he's such a staple of the team. Unless Cyborg is being used as a stand-in for Vic o_O?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Perhaps the mission involves Robotman down the line.

Crazy Jane? Didn't expect that. Though nice to see a new continuity forming up.

Just a little bit more tempted to subscribe now.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I'm not a huge fan of the team but I will check out the show when it comes out. I think it's pretty awesome they're willing to create some kind of shared universe between some of their shows. I wonder what the chances are they'll announce a spin-off from Earth-16/Young Justice sometime soon. :D

I presume Beast Boy will be the connection between these two shows (and teams).

Frontier

Staff member
I'm not a huge fan of the team but I will check out the show when it comes out. I think it's pretty awesome they're willing to create some kind of shared universe between some of their shows. I wonder what the chances are they'll announce a spin-off from Earth-16/Young Justice sometime soon. :D
Maybe they'll finally get to do an Earth-16 Justice League cartoon ;)?

Actually, they could probably pull off a JSA show...

hobbyfan

I'd think this would be along the lines of the Morrison era DP of the 80's & 90's, hence Crazy Jane, who wasn't an original DP member.

@Frontier: Robotman's given name is Cliff Steele, which is what I think you were trying to think of?

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
They did announce Robotman would appear on Titans so I imagine he could show up here as well - unless something happens to the character on the other show.

Frontier

Staff member
They did announce Robotman would appear on Titans so I imagine he could show up here as well - unless something happens to the character on the other show.
It's weird, I've seen him listed in some of the series descriptions released for this series even though it doesn't seem like his actor has been attached to it o_O.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I think it's happened before, for the initial announcement to be incomplete (or even incorrect at times).

Presumably, the log-line from the DC site is more reliable.

Edit: Found some character descriptions:

Cyborg:
Male, mid-20s, African-American. Charming, sarcastic, a bit brash, Cyborg is half-human, half-machine — the ultimate Super Hero for the digital age. At least, that’s how it appears. Vic Stone lost his mother at a young age, lost his promising future to a horrific accident and was put back together as a man-machine hybrid by a brilliant and aloof father who sees him as little more than a lab rat. While Vic may be connected to every computer on earth, he struggles to maintain the connections that make us human. Desperate to gain acceptance from the outside world and his father, Vic uses his powers to try and harness the curse of his cybernetic body for good.
ASP SERIES REGULAR. May segue into Series regular on TITANS in subsequent seasons.

Chief:
Male, 40s-50s, Open Ethnicity. Eccentric, brilliant, paternal, and mysterious. The Chief is a noted scientist, wealthy investor and, of course, leader of The Doom Patrol. The Chief rescued each member of his team from horrific accidents, nurtured them to health, resuscitated their self-esteem and sent them into the world to defend a populace that sees them as little more than freaks. His disarming manner does little to conceal a steely determination and unwavering devotion to defending Earth from Evil’s oddest entities.

... But the Chief has already been cast.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
I think it's happened before, for the initial announcement to be incomplete (or even incorrect at times).

Presumably, the log-line from the DC site is more reliable.

Edit: Found some character descriptions:

Cyborg:

Chief:

... But the Chief has already been cast.
Cyborg sounds pretty true to his character from the comics, though with Silas mentioned in his descrpition, I wonder if we'll see him on the show :ack:?

I'm curious how they'll handle his design. Will it try and capture the half-man, half-machine look from the comics or do what Smallville did and make it all internal :)?

And hey, they even mention an option for him to join the Titans at a future date :D.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Maybe, but the initial details list the same actor announced for Titans - Bruno Bichir.

It is possible this casting call is from before they got Bichir for the role.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
June 3rd:
I kind of hope all that swearing isn't a sign that Titans will use a similar style.

June 8th:
It's reported they start filming this summer in Atlanta.

June 15th:
Omega Underground has some audition tapes featuring Ana Coto trying out for the role of Crazy Jane, and supposedly Tomas Arana auditioning for the Chief (so there might be a re-cast). His video is private though, and cannot be accessed on the site.

NOTE: As with the previous leaked audition tapes, some strong language is used.

the greenman

June 3rd:
I kind of hope all that swearing isn't a sign that Titans will use a similar style.

June 8th:
It's reported they start filming this summer in Atlanta.

June 15th:
Omega Underground has some audition tapes featuring Ana Coto trying out for the role of Crazy Jane, and supposedly Tomas Arana auditioning for the Chief (so there might be a re-cast). His video is private though, and cannot be accessed on the site.

NOTE: As with the previous leaked audition tapes, some strong language is used.
They're clearly taking the Netflix approach, which is just fine. DC and Berlanti have a lock on the television front as far as I'm concerned. While MARVEL is clearly semi-successful on Netflix, they can't get it together on regular television just yet. We have to wait and see.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
That would be a get, indeed! In light of his interviews about X-Men, Grammar is a comic book fan and I could see him taking up the role. But yeah, the recast. Then again, the National Lampoon Vacation movies come to mind, lol.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts