Does Star Wars Clone Wars (2003) now count as Disney property?

Lex The Bookworm

When Star Wars Clone Wars (2003) aired on November 7th 2003 the series has received critical acclaim and has spawned 2 volumes for dvd in 2005. When Disney acquired Lucasfilm Ltd. LLC if Disney announced the 2003 animated series was declared to be non-canonical then is that mean Warner Bros lost the rights to this show despite being produced by Cartoon Network Studios?

Toonatic

I would imagine Warner owns it considering its a Cartoon Network co-production.

Corwin Haught

When Star Wars Clone Wars (2003) aired on November 7th 2003 the series has received critical acclaim and has spawned 2 volumes for dvd in 2005. When Disney acquired Lucasfilm Ltd. LLC if Disney announced the 2003 animated series was declared to be non-canonical then is that mean Warner Bros lost the rights to this show despite being produced by Cartoon Network Studios?

Note that 20th Century Fox distributed the Clone Wars '03 DVD set and not WB, and the show itself lists a Lucasfilm copyright, so it's fair to say Disney owns it now.

powerjake

Banned
That 2003 Star Wars Clone Wars never had a rerelease yet on DVD, what is taking Disney so long to make it happen?.

ShadowBeast

I think he meant the show getting a new DVD release with new special features that weren't included in the original DVD release.
Okay yeah, I didn't notice the extra "re" in release. But I doubt there's much of any new features that Disney could add when the series was made under CartoonNetwork.

ShadowBeast

Disney should atleast put it on their streaming service. I'd like if they done that to give attention.
Does Disney even have any ownership of the show? Sadly, even if they do, I doubt they would do anything with it since it's considered non-canon.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
The 2003 series was made originally to be canon as Genndy and his team worked with Lucasarts to ensure that the series linked up and things introduced in the 2K3 series wound up carrying over albeit subtly (so you wouldn't have to watch the 2K3 series to see Revenge of the Sith but would enhance the series if you did) to the movie canon. For example it was Genndy and team who came up with the look of General Grevious (as him being all white was supposed to be a counter point to the all black Darth Vader) and of course the end of 2K3 ties in directly to the opening action set piece of Episode III with Palpatine being captured. So yeah, that was the intention until Lucas decided he wanted Star Wars to continue as a longer form animated series thus creating the 2008 The Clone Wars series and making that now the canon series that couldn't fit the 2003 series. Since the 2K3 series for instance is what established why General Grevious has coughing fits (his body was force crushed by Mace Windu) right before episode 3 started but is just a thing he has in that show. So honestly the 2K3 series was something ignored even when The Clone Wars aired on Cartoon Network...

But yeah Disney is doubling down on that. Not likely because they view the 2K3 series as inferior but rather for branding purposes to make things less confusing considering how even if the Clone Wars CG series has ended it's lore is obviously still expanding into other porjects. Not just stuff like the spinoff series The Bad Batch but even characters like Ashoka getting her own life action series and the like so that's the one with the mythos they are following so promote one with a different continuity they aren't making anything for and thus doesn't really generate a profit for them I get the decision to not really promote or spend any movie even making a new box set for it. Because why do that on an old continuity no longer being used when you are so focused on the new timeline? I mean remember when Disney bought Star Wars they not only declared this show non canon but pretty much every other Star Wars TV series ever sans The Clone Wars as well as a multitude of books, movies and video games from the expanded universe. As they wanted a specific amount of Star Wars to use in the future but not bits that contracited other bits or things that would make it harder to tell their own stories down the line. You can argue with the new trilogy how much of a "good thing" that was but that was and is still the plan and certainly one they are sticking with so yeah though you can still get Clone Wars 2003 don't expect it to really be brought up again with high end DVD/Blue Ray remastered cuts or anything like that.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
And like selling to Disney, it was a bad thing to do.

Whether or not you like the 2008 Clone Wars series it's clear that series was made because Lucas always wanted to do a focus on the Clone Wars aspect of Star Wars he came up with but was focusing more on Anakin's arc in the prequels to really dive into that and yeah was working on the prequels when Genndy and his team was dong the 2K3 one. Thus wanted a clone wars cartoon he would have time to have more say in. Like it or not The Clone Wars is the last time and may be the last time ever that George Lucas gave us his version of Clone Wars. Granted was written by a team and obviouly Dave Fioloni and co did a lot of work but a good chunk of the core of The Clone Wars came from George. Like he was the one who thought of Ashoka wanting a new female Jedi character due to having daughters and wanting a character they could more latch on to and yeah especially in the first season was fairly hands on... obviously that stopped as much over time especially when he sold the rights to Disney and even by then the show had shifted focus but yeah there was still a reason that was made even before Disney came into the picture though with Disney in the picture now don't expect it to really ever be touched again.

harry580

Speaking of that, which studio do you think should've bought Lucasfilm instead of Disney or do you think Lucasfilm was better off not being sold to another studio at all?
I think 20th century fox if Disney hasn't bought them since 20th century fox Distributed the original and prequels to star wars films

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts