Does Nightwing act out of character in Batman and Harley Quinn (2017)?

Latest News & Videos

#TeamMike

An issue I had with Batman and Harley Quinn is that Nightwing acts out of character. Not quite as bad as Lex Luthor in Braniac Attacks, but close.

In TNBA Nightwing is arguably even more broody than Batman, yet in this film he's way too chummy, like in the villain pub when he decides to start dancing. Or the fact that he's apparently on good terms with Batman and willingly working with him.

I consider the film to be standalone anyways, but I'm curious to hear yall thoughts.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
I think you have to infer that Batman and Harley Quinn despite having Kevin Conroy and Loren Lester in the movie, is not a part of the DCAU. I know Bruce Timm called it a "Spiritual Successor" of Batman the Animated series but it can't really be a part of that continuity. Since we know that based on Return of the Joker that Joker and Harley Quinn are together until Joker's death. While here it's established that Harleen has totally broken off from "Mr. J." I guess you could say she relapses but honestly I think in this era of the MeToo movement and the toxic behavior of people like Harvey Weinstein being brought up and rightfully villified, we're not really going to see a Harley Quinn under the thumb print of the Joker in any of the continuities anymore. Not in the Injustice Games, not really in the comics, not in the upcoming Harley Quinn spin off series, heck pretty sure we're not going to see that in the Worlds of DC anymore and yeah not in the movies so I assume this is suppose to be set in it's own continuity. Thus why characters are acting a bit different. Plus I always assumed that TNBA Nightwing was when the character was at his most angsty and annoyed wanting to prove himself more as his own man and that this movie even if it was set later in the DCAU would be when the character was older and more "mature". Thus being more light hearted and more with working with Batman then he would be when first starting his journey. I mean that's how Nightwing operated in the comics and other media once he settled into the groove as a solo hero.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
He was too much of a good soldier to Batman's general in B&H, imo. In the main canon, I always thought Nightwing stays retains the harder edge and that's actually progress because when he was Robin and butted heads with Batman - there'd be the arguing and yelling, Robin sees it in a different light, and they're working together again like in the Zucco 2 parter. But Nightwing has moved on from that 'gee, Batman, I'm sorry' stuff. Not gruff enough I guess is what I'm saying.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
To be honest, we only rarely saw Nightwing on TNBA and usually only in the context from how Batgirl or Robin saw him. There is every possibility he is not such a morose drip when he's working solo with Batman. Plus, it's totally possible he was hiding most of his rage in the mullet and with it gone he can behave reasonably again.

Frontier

Staff member
He was too much of a good soldier to Batman's general in B&H, imo. In the main canon, I always thought Nightwing stays retains the harder edge and that's actually progress because when he was Robin and butted heads with Batman - there'd be the arguing and yelling, Robin sees it in a different light, and they're working together again like in the Zucco 2 parter. But Nightwing has moved on from that 'gee, Batman, I'm sorry' stuff. Not gruff enough I guess is what I'm saying.
I feel like you probably could have had Dick in the Robin costume in that movie and it wouldn't have changed anything, but I guess it would have made the Harley relationship look even weirder :sweat:.