Does every popular franchise ever made need a reboot?

DVDLooney

Whether it's animated or live action.

Edit: Personally, I think franchises only need reboots when requested for.

Rabbitearsblog

I personally don't think that every popular show needs a reboot because some shows are just a product of their time and sometimes rebooting those type of shows would just take away from what made the original series so great in the first place. Also, sometimes people don't want reboots of their favorite shows, so just making a reboot out of thin air of your favorite shows, when most of the audience didn't even ask for it in the first place would make the reboot seem forced on the audience rather than being something they really wanted.

Last edited:

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
There are times when a reboot can be pretty good, and even do things better than its predecessors. For example, one advantage Ducktales (2017) has over its 1987 counterpart is that follows a more serialized story. Execution aside, I'd say a reboot works if it can manage to focus on something that makes it stand out from its predecessors.

Last edited:

Light Lucario

Staff member
I think some franchises can benefit from a reboot. Maybe not all of them, but it can bring the series to a new audience and potentially do something different from the original one. Reboots of really popular franchises are pretty inevitable. They can be recognizable brands, so they're easily to sell than trying to pitch a brand new series, especially when long time fans might be interested in watching the series or buying the merchandise.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Simple answer from me, personally - NO.

Especially, ESPECIALLY since all it creates is a vicious cycle, like what we're seeing and should have stopped, unless said reboot brings something worthwhile / different in a way that's actually good (ex.: Ducktales (2017)).

Dudley

Staff member
It depends on who’s asking.
The only people who think a reboot is needed are IP owners who want to take old properties that were hits in the past and hope they do great again in present day. And to ensure it does, make it appeal to what the target audiences of today are into.
Honestly, I can’t think of any fan asking for reboots. More often than not, they just want new seasons or continuations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Milofan30

No, some can benefit from them I guess but I wouldn't recommend it. Some should be left alone. Some just don't know to write remakes Teen Titans Go or the Power Puff Girls 2016. Heck even Anime has a hard time getting it down, look at Sailor Moon.

Milofan30

No, some can benefit from them I guess but I wouldn't recommend it. Some should be left alone. Some just don't know to write remakes Teen Titans Go or the Power Puff Girls 2016. Heck even Anime has a hard time getting it down, look at Sailor Moon.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Well, we're talking animation since this is the animation board and that's referring to toylines.
I don't have an issue with it because the point is to sell these toys of an existing brand to a new generation of kids.

Something like TMNT or Transformers are still the best as far as bottling the trends of the industry.

TeridaxXD001

Hollywood: Yes.
Me: No.

If you can't continue the storyline, just let it die. Several franchises near and dear to me have been rebooted, effectively making everything I loved about them moot. If you can't tell by my username, I was an obsessive BIONICLE fan, and I was deeply depressed when it was canceled. I was excited to hear it was coming back, then depressed again when it was announced to be a reboot. The worst part: the reboot wasn't nearly as good as the original, and as a result, not only did it not last as long as the original, it was actually canceled early, lasting two years instead of its promised minimum of three.

Rabbitearsblog

Hollywood: Yes.
Me: No.

If you can't continue the storyline, just let it die. Several franchises near and dear to me have been rebooted, effectively making everything I loved about them moot. If you can't tell by my username, I was an obsessive BIONICLE fan, and I was deeply depressed when it was canceled. I was excited to hear it was coming back, then depressed again when it was announced to be a reboot. The worst part: the reboot wasn't nearly as good as the original, and as a result, not only did it not last as long as the original, it was actually canceled early, lasting two years instead of its promised minimum of three.

That's the same thing that's happening with TTG. When Cartoon Network announced that they were bringing back Teen Titans, a lot of fans assumed that they were bringing back the original series. But when it turned out that it was TTG instead and it was a reboot, a lot of fans started bashing the show because it wasn't what they really wanted.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
That's what they did. They ended the series since they weren't gaining any new consumers and were losing existing ones. They even tried to rebrand to Hero Factory before the reboot, but it's quite obvious they found other series to put their time and attention towards like Ninjago, which as far as I'm concerned is as good as a replacement as it gets for a lore-heavy mythological LEGO property. When they brought Bionicle back, it was a last ditch effort; not intended as a triumphant return.

Lock n' Stock

The thing is about reboots is, no matter how much effort is put into them, people are ALWAYS going to be divided. Personally for me, as long as they don't stray away from the original concept too much, I'm fine with it.

TeridaxXD001

The thing is about reboots is, no matter how much effort is put into them, people are ALWAYS going to be divided. Personally for me, as long as they don't stray away from the original concept too much, I'm fine with it.
But then people would complain that there was no point in rebooting it without changing a ton of stuff.

Dudley

Staff member
But then people would complain that there was no point in rebooting it without changing a ton of stuff.

So the takeaway from this is that studios should do whatever they want since people will complain no matter what they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hobbyfan

The obsession with rebooting this, that, and everything is driven by the fact that Hollywood writers are creatively bankrupt, and studio executives think they can only make money with pre-sold, established brands. Which doesn't always work.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts