Does Charlton have a Trinity?

the greenman

We have all (as of late) surmised that DC has an obvious trinity of great heroes. Those three have always been Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman. Marvel, in a sense, may have the same in Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor?

Have the Charlton heroes had a trinity of their own? I'm aware they had a team consisting of these heroes, but I'm thinking of a trinity.

My three are Captain Atom, The Question, and Blue Beetle. I'll give my reasons later, but want to wait on others to chime in opinions.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Otaku-sempai

We have all (as of late) surmised that DC has an obvious trinity of great heroes. Those three have always been Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman. Marvel, in a sense, may have the same in Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor?

Have the Charleston [sic] heroes had a trinity of their own? I'm aware they had a team consisting of these heroes, but I'm thinking of a trinity.

My three are Captain Atom, The Question, and Blue Beetle. I'll give my reasons later, but want to wait on others to chime in opinions.

Yeah, Captain Atom, The Question and Blue Beetle would be my Charlton Trinity as well.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Yeah, I also agree those 3. The only others that come to mind immediately are Peacemaker (will probably get better known to the public thanks to James Gunn), Judomaster, and Nightshade.

the greenman

Pretty much. The guys Ditko worked on seemed to have always been the closest ones to being marquee names.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
So according to general theory, a trinity would have to be the top 3 comic characters from a studio. I.E., cartoons would be Mickey, Donald, and Goofy at Disney all these others are lesser.

My theory in terms of comics is 1 represents the Good 'll boy hero= Captain Atom, 2 The "man" of mystery= The Question, and 3. The Blue Beetle (Dan Garrett) "link to supernatural". I have no doubt in my choice, as the other heroes, people don't know. Now my issue was that Nightshade could count as the mystery figure as well as link to supernatural. If you swap her with Ted Kord who has more

Also, it's been suggested in probably the last 20 years that Will Eisner created Dan Garrett BB.
Yeah, I also agree those 3. The only others that come to mind immediately are Peacemaker (will probably get better known to the public thanks to James Gunn), Judomaster, and Nightshade.
Yeah, right now he's gaining recognition. I know more fans of The Question and Blue Beetle.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I think I've browsed some old Peacemaker but I'm mostly familiar with him from the first run of the Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle.

I view Question as the mystery/detective hero. Even without being supernatural, he just gives off a spooky aura as well. A very pulpy character in the vein of the Shadow. Ted Kord Beetle was sort of a rugged indivualist, relying on his own technical know how and physical ability to achieve what others, like his mentor, were able to achieve with powers. A Batman type. Then Captain Atom is as science fiction as a superhero can get, and insanely powerful. An origin story that can explained away with super science that comes packaged with his immense but vaguely defined abilities.

The way that they contrast but compliment each other reminds me of the Avengers triumvirate.

ff09e70578099b2de3e202b57a66cb44.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Otaku-sempai

My theory in terms of comics is 1 represents the Good 'll boy hero= Captain Atom, 2 The "man" of mystery= The Question, and 3. The Blue Beetle (Dan Garrett) "link to supernatural". I have no doubt in my choice, as the other heroes, people don't know. Now my issue was that Nightshade could count as the mystery figure as well as link to supernatural. If you swap her with Ted Kord who has more
I'll agree with you for the most part: Captain Atom as the "True Blue Hero"; and The Question as the "Man of Mystery". However, I associate Ted Kord's Blue Beetle with Charlton much more than the character of Dan Garrett. Ted's archetype is closer to the "Scientific Hero" or "Scientific Detective".

the greenman

I'll agree with you for the most part: Captain Atom as the "True Blue Hero"; and The Question as the "Man of Mystery". However, I associate Ted Kord's Blue Beetle with Charlton much more than the character of Dan Garrett. Ted's archetype is closer to the "Scientific Hero" or "Scientific Detective".
Yeah, I thought about the two Blue Beetles as well. I honestly think Ted fits in anyways. Be that as it may, they might have to be the trinity by default, cause of recognition. Until DC does something with Nightshade.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts