"Doctor Strange: In the Multi-Verse of Madness" Pre-Release News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TargetmasterJoe

It’s beginning to look more and more like a Sam Raimi movie!
1586800990287.gif

the greenman

Honestly, with the exception of Spider-Man 3, Raimi seems to excel with sequels. Which traditionally are kinda tough. Everyone wants the Empire Strikes Back, the Road Warrior, or the Godfather part II. Raimi gave us Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn (true scares & true laughs), Army of Darkness (which was almost like Thor Ragnarok before it knew it was), and of course Spider-Man 2.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Honestly, with the exception of Spider-Man 3, Raimi seems to excel with sequels

Which again you can't blame fully on Raimi because it was the studio forcing him to put in additional things (like the whole Venom plot. Raimi is NOT a fan of Venom at all and did not want him in the movies but the studios did and also wanted Venom in that particular movie even though you kind of need either a full arc or a set of films to make Venom work as a concept) that made that particular film such a mess.

Which yeah Marvel is not going to make that mistake. Like yeah it's pretty obvious The Multi Verse of Madness also has a lot of stuff in it but not only have Marvel proven that it can have the right writing talent that can back that up (Like on paper something like Civil War with all it had going on should not of worked but did excellently because of how fantastic the writing and focus were) but Spider Man 3 is a mistake that Raimi himself has learned from. He did not do Spider Man 4 even though he was originally scheduled to because he could not come up with a script on time that Sony would agree with as he did not want to have a mess of things put in again (thus why Sony went with the amazing spider man reboot) so since he agreed to this he must know the script and know it's workable with what he can do and won't have it turned into a mess. And yeah again he would have the right sort of patience and mind set to make this sort of movie work even if yeah it won't be the summer starter it was originally intended to but maybe delaying the project will give Raimi the time needed to really craft this into an amazing outing. Since honestly though visual wise the first movie set a high bar it wasn't really anything that spectacular otherwise just the most standard kind of Marvel movie but a second installment can easily rise past that.

Frontier

Staff member
It'll be interesting to see how Raimi differs from Derrickson. I think he might lean into the Ditko visuals and powersets more then Derrickson did.

Is it too much to hope he might get to redesign Dormammu?

the greenman

It'll be interesting to see how Raimi differs from Derrickson. I think he might lean into the Ditko visuals and powersets more then Derrickson did.

Is it too much to hope he might get to redesign Dormammu?
I think comedy is the #1 thing they hired Raimi for. Scares being an added bonus.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Spideyzilla

Staff member
Which again you can't blame fully on Raimi because it was the studio forcing him to put in additional things (like the whole Venom plot. Raimi is NOT a fan of Venom at all and did not want him in the movies but the studios did and also wanted Venom in that particular movie even though you kind of need either a full arc or a set of films to make Venom work as a concept) that made that particular film such a mess.

Which yeah Marvel is not going to make that mistake. Like yeah it's pretty obvious The Multi Verse of Madness also has a lot of stuff in it but not only have Marvel proven that it can have the right writing talent that can back that up (Like on paper something like Civil War with all it had going on should not of worked but did excellently because of how fantastic the writing and focus were) but Spider Man 3 is a mistake that Raimi himself has learned from. He did not do Spider Man 4 even though he was originally scheduled to because he could not come up with a script on time that Sony would agree with as he did not want to have a mess of things put in again (thus why Sony went with the amazing spider man reboot) so since he agreed to this he must know the script and know it's workable with what he can do and won't have it turned into a mess. And yeah again he would have the right sort of patience and mind set to make this sort of movie work even if yeah it won't be the summer starter it was originally intended to but maybe delaying the project will give Raimi the time needed to really craft this into an amazing outing. Since honestly though visual wise the first movie set a high bar it wasn't really anything that spectacular otherwise just the most standard kind of Marvel movie but a second installment can easily rise past that.
Marvel is no stranger to cramming too much stuff into their movies, and they’ve also alienated a few directors.That said, I doubt that’s going to be the case here. Raimi is thirteen years removed from directing a comic book movie, and hasn’t directed a movie since Oz: The Great and the Powerful, which I believe also had a troubled production. I doubt he’d agree to throw his hat back into the comic book movie ring if he didn’t have assurances that this will not be another Spider-Man 3 type situation, especially since his dislike for that movie and the experience making it are now well documented.

I tell you, I was pretty upset when Derrickson dropped out, but now I couldn’t be more excited. What an inspired choice of director! Bringing the godfather of modern comic book movies back on a project that his style really works for? Love it. Cannot wait to see what Raimi brings to it.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Marvel is no stranger to cramming too much stuff into their movies, and they’ve also alienated a few directors.

That statement should be Marvel WAS no stranger to cramming too much stuff into their movies because though that has happened in the past it no longer happens now and them alienating directors tends to happen more for going with a specific direction or tone then with wanting to put in too many elements. Since yeah cramming stuff in just to set up future movies that honked off directors was something that was done more in Phase 1 and especially Phase 2 under Ike Perlmutter. Yeah he's the one who wanted a lot of additional elements or seeds that annoyed people like Joss Whedon and even dissuaded Patty Jenkins and Edgar Wright (who were originally scheduled for Thor The Dark World and Ant Man) from working on those projects. However Perlmutter is no longer with the company so that's no longer a problem. Yeah Derrikson no longer wanted to make Dr. Strange 2 but it wasn't because they crammed int too many more elements. I mean Dr. Strange 2 was announced to be In the Multi Verse of Madness for months when he was still attached and always had ties to the Disney+ show so yeah those were elements there he was fine with. I think again he wanted to make more a horror movie then Marvel wanted to and that's why they split ways though yeah now seems like that will be for the better with Raimi on board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

I knew about the promotional cans but I'm just seeing this ad for the first time. I love seeing Daredevil pushed by Marvel.
Notable moment from The Rock.
The time when Gunther spoke Dutch in Friends.

Featured Posts