Do you think we'll ever get another R-rated CGI-animated film like Sausage Party?

Tacartoon

After his raunchy R-rated animated comedy film succeeded in the box office, creator Seth Rogen expressed interest in making a sequel to Sausage Party, leaving off where the entrance into the real dimension took place. He said that he'd be very interested in a live-action animation crossover a la Who Framed Roger Rabbit, citing it as one of his all-time favorite movies. More importantly though, he expressed interested in creating other CGI-animated films intended for adults alongside the sequel project.

To answer my own question, I think it's damn near a possibility, but probably not something we'll get until nearly the end of the decade. CGI was known for two decades as a family-exclusive category until Sausage Party skewered the stereotype that all animated films are for kids in 2016, and of course it drew mass controversy from parents who thought it was a kids movie just because it's animated, similar to Deadpool's fate earlier that year for being about superheroes. Personally I think another independent adult animated movie in CGI could follow into SP's footsteps several years from now, but I don't really see it becoming a consecutive project mainly due to complaining misinformed parents and moral guardians. Hell, I don't think even a sequel to Sausage Party would come anywhere close to the success of its predecessor. It would probably be of poor direct-to-DVD quality, and honestly, the movie has become a dead horse by now. It didn't have a major cultural impact and hardly anyone remembers it today outside of its infamous status as the first R-rated CGI movie and its trailers. In my opinion, the movie was just okay; it provided some decent laughs and had vibrant animation, but nothing was near groundbreaking and I wouldn't go out of my way to rewatch it.

Aside from it being old news and lacking a historical impact, the story behind the animators being used just seems to controversial to me for a sequel to be greenlit anytime soon. Thus, any other potential CGI adult animated projects would likely suffer the same fate.

Tacartoon

I was mostly talking about animated adult films generated in CGI form, something that the article didn't address unless I missed something.

South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut is often given the incorrect title as the first computer-animated film to be rated R, but because it lacks any 3D elements, Sausage Party earns the title more often and rightfully so.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
I was mostly talking about animated adult films generated in CGI form, something that the article didn't address unless I missed something.

SPA has only ever made CGI films, so I would say it's inevitable.

How to Make Money as a Kid 2

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I don't want a Playstation 5 for all of the new "next gen" games coming, I just want a PS5 so I can just play my PS4 games without my PS4 console sounding like a rocket engine blasting off. (...So tired of seeing the PS5's sold out everywhere....)
Who remembers playing the iCarly game Pack-Rat (Pac-Man clone)on the Nick website? Those were great memories
Was "Mega Man: Fully Charged" ever dubbed in foreign languages?

That thread reached 1000 posts, someone or any admin please lock that thread.
Am I hearing this right? Nick USA not airing SpongeBob SquarePants for a day? Am I dreaming?

Featured Posts