Do you think that some of the cartoon community got a little spoiled with story based cartoons and not give comedic episodic cartoons a chance?

Ghoster1987

howdy
It feels like since we now live an age thanks to Gravity Falls and Steven Universe. Most animation fans care about are more story based, continuity heavy cartoons. Leaving some the more comedic shows like Craig of the Creek or even Milo Murphy's Law left to the dust and not talked about too much.

And it seems like It's Pony on Nick will be another casualty in that since Kipo and The Owl House seem like they got more of a bigger fanbase thanks to those shows going to be more plot heavy.

5YearsOnEastCoast

If there is a trope named "all adult Animation is South Park" where there is perception that only way to make adults cartoon appeal is to be as much crass and vulgar as possible, then what will be the name of a trope that only way that kids cartoons can appeal to adults is to be serialized?

And yes, episodic cartoons do deserve the chance. I got sick of how little are there modern episodic cartoons that are popular among adults, while every serialized cartoons is almost always given a chance and they became so popular that is not even comparable to popularity of majority episodic cartoons.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
But was this ever different? Aside from a few exceptions, I think adult animation fans have always preferred serious kids cartoons over comedy. For comedy, people are more likely to stick to childhood cartoons or adult comedy. That's indeed a shame.

Zorak Masaki

But was this ever different? Aside from a few exceptions, I think adult animation fans have always preferred serious kids cartoons over comedy.
In the 90s, several adult animation fans loved Ren and Stimpy, Animaniacs, Tiny Toons, Freakazoid, Pinky and the Brain,Rocko, Darkwing Duck, and even Rugrats, all of which were comedies.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
But more than people now like Craig of the Creek, Hilda, The Loud House or OKKO? I have certainly read Darkwing Duck being called "hyperactive ADHD trash" before while reading on old forums. Same with literally everything from Nickelodeon. (But yeah, Ren & Stimpy was loved by many. I think of it more as an exception) I have never read that about for instance Gargoyles or Superman TAS.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
But more than people now like Craig of the Creek, Hilda, The Loud House or OKKO? I have certainly read Darkwing Duck being called "hyperactive ADHD trash" before while reading on old forums. Same with literally everything from Nickelodeon. (But yeah, Ren & Stimpy was loved by many. I think of it more as an exception) I have never read that about for instance Gargoyles or Superman TAS.

I think humor is more subjective than drama, I think a well-done science fiction or fantasy story can appeal to all ages, but some humor aimed at children may not appeal to adults. Its why something like Star Wars has been something that traditionally appeals to a wide audience, but the type of humor I tend to enjoy is darker, sharper and more satirical than what you would see on kids how. Something like the conservations you would see in say Fraiser, would not work on a kid's cartoon. I am not saying I could not get a laugh from a kid's show, but it likely would not be my go-to place for humor.

Last edited:

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
The only thing I can think of is that a lot of episodic shows before this trend came roaring back to make more serious, storytelling fare... was the result of a lot of these episodic shows (not saying examples, either) weren't good or as good as they should have been, to honestly look at it in one basic way out of many other, more complex/intermediate ones.

DVDLooney

Humor is subjective. I find slapstick humor in Classic Looney Tunes much more entertaining than in shows like Teen Titans Go or SpongeBob. That's just me. Shows like Steven Universe, for example, perhaps weren't meant to be funny to begin with.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts