Do you prefer a cartoon to have good animation techniques or fluid animation

Latest News & Videos

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
Nov 1, 2013
I use to believe that fluid animation was the only thing to separate good animation from bad animation but over the years I understand how various animation techniques can be more important than something being just fluid. When Voltron came out I thought the animation was nice but not a lot of fight scenes really stayed in my memory much despite the fight scenes being animated by studio Mir(Except the DND one which was one of the best episodes) meanwhile I can almost remember every fight scene from Rise of the TMNT. So which one do you prefer?

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
I think sometimes it can be up to personal taste, but I'd generally prefer standard, good, animation with good fight choreography for the most part.

Reactions: Freddy

I.R. Shokew

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Sep 26, 2011
Neo Arcadia, USA
The show can look pretty as it wants, but if I don't feel anything for the characters...

GAME OVER

Heck, I've watched plenty of shows many will call ugly, and I still preferred them over the pretty stuff with no substance. Must be because I actually like the characters, for one thing.

I could name examples, but I'm just pointing out the basics of my take on all of this for now. Plus I'd be here all day if I had to name names, honestly.

Mostezli

Corroborating with EVIL
May 28, 2014
I made like two Rise threads in the span of 4 months and this isn't one.
Well, then use something like Epithet Erased as an example. That's an action show where the animation is as cheap as it gets and yet it works because of how well the characters "animate" them.

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
Nov 1, 2013
Well, then use something like Epithet Erased as an example. That's an action show where the animation is as cheap as it gets and yet it works because of how well the characters "animate" them.
Never seen that show maybe you can use it as an example for inventive animation techniques.

Reactions: Fone Bone

Mostezli

Corroborating with EVIL
May 28, 2014
Never seen that show maybe you can use it as an example for inventive animation techniques.
It's essentially table top role-playing with a limited number of character cut-outs reminiscent of cut scenes you'd find in a variety of games.

You can create your own thread about Epithet Erased you know. No one's stopping you.
I already did. One is enough.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I'm one of those people that's more familiar with Sonic's arch-enemy being called "Dr. Ivo Robotnik" rather than "Eggman".

As I mentioned, Melanie Minichino should definitely sing more.
it is kinda weird how despite Frozen being the highest grossing animated movie until Lion King 2019, there were no mainstream animated movies that tried to copy it, or at least accused of copying Frozen. I wonder why?
Just letting you guys know: I'm changing my username in two weeks. It's similar to the original, but a bit more wordy.
Asa
The last time a new SpongeBob premiered before KCA's was in March 2017.