Do People Really Celebrate Thanksgiving Anymore?

TheCartoonRailfan

Where's my senior discount?
We are now less than a week away from Thanksgiving, but I feel that people just don't celebrate the holiday. For most, it's just a day of eating and shopping. I still celebrate Thanksgiving by spending time with family, consuming turkey, cranberries, and stuffing, and watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

I don't even notice many Thanksgiving decorations in stores these days. I may encounter a blow-up turkey and some pilgrim figurines in addition to the regular fall merchandise such as autumn leaves, pumpkins, and scarecrows, but that's about it. It seems like people just head straight to Christmas right after Halloween.

What are your thoughts about this?

Low Spark of Lyman

Resident Garfield Expert
We still do, though we have become accommodative for my out-of-state sister in recent years.

I think it's generally been a low-key holiday compared to the surrounding holidays, though I guess you're saying it's become even more low-key nowadays. "Halloween's over, now let's get ready for Christmas!"

Dr.Pepper

Yes people still celebrate. I’m personally not doing anything this year, and quite frankly am not interested in the holiday.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I don't even notice many Thanksgiving decorations in stores these days. I may encounter a blow-up turkey and some pilgrim figurines in addition to the regular fall merchandise such as autumn leaves, pumpkins, and scarecrows, but that's about it. It seems like people just head straight to Christmas right after Halloween.

What are your thoughts about this?

I don't even remember the last time they dedicated that much space for Thanksgiving decorations in a store. Maybe that was more common when I was little, but most stores seem to go from Halloween to Christmas. There have been some years where I'll see Christmas commercials during September or October.

As for the question itself, I'm sure that plenty of people still celebrate Thanksgiving. People still buy turkey and a ton of other food for the holiday. Compared to Halloween and Christmas, Thanksgiving is a much more low key holiday, especially when it isn't as marketable/profitable compared to the other two holidays. I just have a Thanksgiving dinner with my family. We've had vegetarian Thanksgivings where we just use vegetarian substitute meat instead of turkey. Aside from my Dad, everyone in my immediate family is a vegetarian. My Dad and my dog Clancy would be the only ones eating the turkey and it's one less big thing for my Mom to prepare for anyway, so it works out nicely for everyone.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I think the magnitude of how people celebrate Thanksgiving has eroded thanks to Black Friday. And that's usually evidenced by how much shorter the party is nowadays so people can drive to whatever store or shopping mall to stand in line. Or they basically stay glued to their phone and start shopping online at the party. But I like to think there are still some families that still make a big thing of it.

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, they still celebrate Thanksgiving. It's a one day celebration though (like the 4th of July - Independence Day, here in America). Not something you celebrate over a whole month.

The common complaint (among "Grinches" or "Scrooges", as I call them) is "You can't play Christmas music and decorate for Christmas yet, it's not even Thanksgiving!" But Thanksgiving is not something you decorate for. It's just a time to get together with family, eat a turkey, watch Football (or "Mystery Science Theater 3000"). :)

Here's how the "ber" months usually work:

You decorate for the Fall after Labor Day in September, you decorate for Halloween shortly after October 1st (maybe the first or 2nd week of October), then you decorate for Christmas the first or 2nd week of November (or wait till after Thanksgiving, if you're really a Scrooge).

American stores sell autumn leaves? : O

Fake leaves, yes. Fall decorations - leaves, scarecrows, fake pumpkins, real pumpkins (Not Jack-o-Lanterns), harvest signs, cornucopias, etc. are very popular.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
We don't have Thanksgiving. Christmas in Portugal starts directly after Halloween. Some stores start before Halloween.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I think the magnitude of how people celebrate Thanksgiving has eroded thanks to Black Friday. And that's usually evidenced by how much shorter the party is nowadays so people can drive to whatever store or shopping mall to stand in line. Or they basically stay glued to their phone and start shopping online at the party. But I like to think there are still some families that still make a big thing of it.
A few years ago, stores started celebrating Black Friday here too. This year, it is getting out of hand. There is Black Monday, Black Tuesday, Black Wednesday...

Here is a picture of our newspaper today:

"Black Thursday"... the day before Black Friday :sweat:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
"Black Thursday"... the day before Black Friday :sweat:
Ha ha, well it was sort of Black Week in the States this year with earlier deals starting at stores and online. But we also have that Small Business Saturday (or was it Sunday) and Cyber Monday to keep milking the start of holiday spending.

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
And since double posting isn't a problem, me and the family are marathoning Friends. Mostly the Thanksgiving episodes.

jaylop97

Staff member
Me and my family spent Thanksgiving the same as usual, we spent a good amount of the day watching Football with our favorite teams playing (The Cowboys & Lions) along with eating Turkey, with the usual foods you'd expect. It was nice to spend time with my sister, her husband, my nephews and the rest of my family, because as of late I haven't been spending much time with them (especially my Sister and her kids), Thanksgiving does the job well to have us together for a good way to spend time with each other, without it I would spend much less time without them.

AdrenalineRush1996

To answer your question: Of course. Whereas in the UK (where I live), they don't celebrate it, though one element has carried over there, by which I mean Black Friday.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
I don't like thinking about Christmas before Thanksgiving. I'm a one-holiday-at-a-time kind of person, so I get annoyed sometimes when people switch to Christmas mode on November 1st. I get that the holiday season makes them happy, but it feels like they're jumping the gun.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I spent Thanksgiving with my Mom, Dad and older brother. I watched the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, which is a pretty fun tradition. I'm not even sure when I started to watch it, but I can't remember a Thanksgiving where I didn't watch the parade. I helped my Mom with getting the table ready and we were able to eat a nice meal together. I really like our vegetarian Thanksgivings too. Instead of turkey, we had a vegetarian casserole and stuffed potatoes as our center pieces, along with some more bread, cheese, pasta and rice. We don't have a lot of meals together outside of some holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas, so it was nice that we could be together. That's what I always want for every Thanksgiving.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

so weird to see Brendan Fraser having a comeback thanks to being in Steven Soderbergh's No Sudden Move and now he's going to be in Martin Scorsese's, and Darren Aronofsky's upcoming movies
Disney Channel finally acknowledged Luz and Amity as a couple:
Welcome MTV 00's!
(Video by TVArculatBomba)

My new favourite music channel with my favourite musics from my childhood! :)
I wish a happy birthday to Corey Burton (66) (voice of Professor Ludwig Von Drake for over 30 years, as well as Megatron on Transformers Animated), Sumalee Montano (49) (voice of Arcee on Transformers Prime and Katana on Beware The Batman), and Travis Willingham (40) (voice of King Roland on Sofia The First and Thor on many Marvel cartoons since Avengers Assemble).
My grandfather just passed away…

Featured Posts