Disney wants the "Star Wars" films rights back from Turner

JTOONSAnimation

Disney announced that they want "Star Wars" to be exclusively on their upcoming streaming service. But they won't be able to (at least the first six films)

Disney previously sold the television and streaming rights to Turner for it's TBS and TNT networks and they own those rights until 2024.

Disney has negotiated a price/settlement for the films, but Turner refuses to give up the rights.

What do you think of this?

Disney’s failure to get Star Wars back highlights a major roadblock in the coming streaming wars

jaylop97

Staff member
For Turner keeping the airing/streaming rights of the movies would definitely be a benefit for them, considering how big is Star Wars and having the airing rights to those movies will keep them above Disney and allow their app to not benefit as much as it could.

the greenman

Disney announced that they want "Star Wars" to be exclusively on their upcoming streaming service. But they won't be able to (at least the first six films)

Disney previously sold the television and streaming rights to Turner for it's TBS and TNT networks and they own those rights until 2024.

Disney has negotiated a price/settlement for the films, but Turner refuses to give up the rights.

What do you think of this?

Disney’s failure to get Star Wars back highlights a major roadblock in the coming streaming wars
Well, it's a waiting game for certain. I can't tell you how long I used to wait for the VHS of films to come out as a kid (2 years?). It foolish to pay for that. Star Wars should be a theatrical film experience. Make some tv series and animated films in the quality of Pixar. Just leave the films to be films. I see Netflix has Rogue One and Last Jedi, but those films just don't seem all that on the small screen. Oh well.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Oscar Preciado

Considering that Disney has to divest 22 Fox's regional sports network, i was thinking of Disney using few regional sports network to trade for some assets from AT&T and Comcast and sell the rest of regional sports network to someone else.

For AT&T, they will get some regional sports network, if they give the streaming rights to Star Wars films to Disney. For Comcast, they will get some regional sports network (along with distribution rights to 2013-2017 DreamWorks Animation films and broadcast rights to Shrek the Halls), if they give the film rights to Hulk, the distribution rights to The Incredible Hulk, theme park rights to Marvel and possibly an additional 30% of Hulu to Disney.

That's a Smart move that Disney should do, considering that Disney DID trade something from NBCUniversal. Al Michaels with Oswald the Lucky Rabbit.

Dudley

Staff member
If the deal expires in 2024, I think Disney should just wait, because hey have plenty more to offer than just Star Wars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SourSweetGone

Simultaneously Too Old &Too Young For The Internet
I hope Turner makes em pay out the bum for this.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.

Featured Posts