Disney+ News & Discussion Thread

Asa

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!

Light Lucario

Staff member
I know I’ve said it before in another thread, but I’ll say it again: This claim has been disputed by a Disney insider in the above article.

That doesn't necessarily mean anything though. It's still a bit early for them to decide on what to do with Soul's release. They'd obviously want to put their movies in theaters, but that isn't a safe and reliable method to release movies anymore. Even with theaters reopening, they aren't going to have as many people available in a screening, which means they're making less money. That's a big reason why both Wonder Woman and Black Widow are being delayed. The studios want those movies to earn billions of dollars at the box office, but that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

They're also probably going to wait until we're a bit closer to November to decide on how to release Soul.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
That doesn't necessarily mean anything though. It's still a bit early for them to decide on what to do with Soul's release. They'd obviously want to put their movies in theaters, but that isn't a safe and reliable method to release movies anymore. Even with theaters reopening, they aren't going to have as many people available in a screening, which means they're making less money. That's a big reason why both Wonder Woman and Black Widow are being delayed. The studios want those movies to earn billions of dollars at the box office, but that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

They're also probably going to wait until we're a bit closer to November to decide on how to release Soul.
Well Deadline says that Soul could still stay theatrical. Besides, numerous articles are saying that we are getting very close to San Francisco and Los Angeles being able reopening their indoor movie theatres (basically around late September/early October), and when that happens, New York City will be able to reopen theirs.

Last edited:

Light Lucario

Staff member
Well Deadline says that Soul could still stay theatrical. Besides, numerous articles are saying that we are getting very close to San Francisco and Los Angeles being able reopening their indoor movie theatres (basically around late September/early October), and when that happens, New York City will be able to reopen theirs.

I know that they say that Soul could still stay a theatrical release, but that is far from a guarantee. I also wouldn't count on movie theaters reopening through the fall. That is assuming that things go well and there aren't any further spikes of cases in those areas, which seems unlikely to me for a number of reasons. Not to mention theaters are still unsafe, especially with flu season just around the corner. These reopenings aren't being done because it's now okay to go to movie theaters. Theaters and movie studios just want to get money.

Even if these theaters do reopen, they aren't going to have the same amount of people per screening and plenty of people won't want to take the risk of getting sick in order to see a movie on the big screen. Theaters aren't going to make the same kind of box office results that they used to for the time being. As a result, Disney might still do something different with Soul.

harry580

also would disney open up a direct to streaming divison to complete warner bros warner max, disneytoon studios revival? with soul the first film from that division

trineomorph

also would disney open up a direct to streaming divison to complete warner bros warner max, disneytoon studios revival? with soul the first film from that division
Why would they do that when they have the Disney+ infastructure?

Sent from my POCO F2 Pro using Tapatalk

Light Lucario

Staff member
For the record, I wasn't saying or implying that theaters are dead. I am saying that they aren't going to be a viable option for releasing movies for the foreseeable future for a number of reasons. One of those reasons is the financial aspect. They aren't going to make huge box office money from their movies for quite some time, so that is going to be a factor as to what they'll do with Soul and their other movies. They would obviously want to put their movies in theaters, but that isn't going to be the best way to release movies or get huge profits for quite some time.

Frontier

Staff member

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts