Disney+ News & Discussion Thread

glennbyrnes

Dr.Pepper

Mulan is coming to Disney + September 4, for a fee of $29.99. I’d be a liar if I said I was happy with this. I was looking forward to seeing it in theaters with my friend who is a big fan of the original. I also don’t want to fork up $30 to watch a movie on my iPad in my bedroom. Oh well, it is what it is.

Mandouga

(sigh)...

keegan, you do realize that this is only happening because of the pandemic, right? This isn't going to be a regular thing. The pandemic is NOT...I repeat, is NOT going to put movie theaters out of business. Look, you're entitled to your opinion, but you can take your doomsaying elsewhere.

On the other hand, $30 for a Blu-Ray release is one thing (sort of...), but I'm not a fan of what they're doing here, and that's all I can really say about that.

Reactions: Asa

Mr.O

Mulan is coming to Disney + September 4, for a fee of $29.99. I’d be a liar if I said I was happy with this. I was looking forward to seeing it in theaters with my friend who is a big fan of the original. I also don’t want to fork up $30 to watch a movie on my iPad in my bedroom. Oh well, it is what it is.
I'll pass, probably.

Dudley

Staff member
Although they said this is a one time thing, Disney is testing the waters to see if people will go for this. If they do, this could be the norm until it’s safe to go back to theaters (and they might keep doing it afterwards too).
I’m just glad this could mean they can release the rest of their film slate this way. It’s a bit pricey, but I’m willing to pay that price for the animated films like Soul and Raya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the greenman

Not to mention Black Widow and Eternals. The fact of the matter is if these films are released in Europe and Asia first, the windows of spoilers are that much more dangerous.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
Although they said this is a one time thing, Disney is testing the waters to see if people will go for this. If they do, this could be the norm until it’s safe to go back to theaters (and they might keep doing it afterwards too).
I’m just glad this could mean they can release the rest of their film slate this way. It’s a bit pricey, but I’m willing to pay that price for the animated films like Soul and Raya.

Not one person, not even families, will shell out an extra $30 just to watch live-action Mulan on D+ when they can watch something else there for free. Children won't watch it, because it is PG-13, contains violent scenes, has no Mushu, and has no songs. The film's basically for people that grew up watching the animated original. Trust me, this experiment will fail hard.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
What was the average price for flicks like Trolls and Scoob on VOD? 30 bucks is too much for this but the prices of these digital purchases usually feel like too much to me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Dudley

Staff member
Not one person, not even families, will shell out an extra $30 just to watch live-action Mulan on D+ when they can watch something else there for free. Children won't watch it, because it is PG-13, contains violent scenes, has no Mushu, and has no songs. The film's basically for people that grew up watching the animated original. Trust me, this experiment will fail hard.

At this rate, I doubt Mulan would’ve done well in theaters anyway, especially in our sociopolitical climate.
Disney does have some hardcore fans, and since they wouldn’t have to share earnings with theaters, this will allow them to make their money back.

I could care less about Mulan or any of their live action remakes. My main concern is that animated films since they can still be made during the pandemic. With theaters not being safe, Disney has to release these movies SOMEHOW. They’re not going to make any movies, animated or otherwise, if the films can’t get to audiences and then earn their money back.
And obviously, Disney’s shooting themselves in the feet with this for making their films so damn expensive to produce.

Dudley

Staff member
I think they were $20, but don’t quote me on that.

That is correct. However, both films cost nowhere near as much as Mulan or other Disney tentpole films.

Article points out that all it’ll take for the film to be considered profitable is if around 10%-15% of Disney subscribers pay that $30.

I honestly think they can pull it off, and if they can, it’ll be a massive shift in the industry and it’ll be hard to go back to normal.

SpaceCowboy

Not to mention Black Widow and Eternals. The fact of the matter is if these films are released in Europe and Asia first, the windows of spoilers are that much more dangerous.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk
I'm wondering if they have a back-up plan to counter that, like requiring overseas distributors to not screen the English versions but only localized dubs.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts