Disney+ News & Discussion Thread

NeoplanDan

Occasionally Active
Ugh, the name sounded dull and generic plus it quick to remind everyone of Google Play or some other Play related service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chevistian C

Details On Disney Play
In a world awash in streaming video, Disney no longer needs to rely on Comcastand DirecTV and a host of international distributors to deliver its TV shows and (post-theatrical) movies. Netflix eliminated middleman distributors, slashed the monthly price (compared with cable) for a robust content package and made all of its content available 24/7 in a commercial-free, on-demand format.
But as with any historic shift, change won’t come easily — or cheaply. To build their own platforms, Disney, AT&T and others will have to invest billions of dollars in high-end content while at the same time forgoing much if not all of the traditional licensing revenue that they would have commanded by selling rights to third-party networks and distributors.
Moreover, the emphasis on launching attractive DTC alternatives will likely hasten the pace of cord cutting. That will only put more pressure on the billions of dollars the congloms take in annually in carriage fees from cable operators for channels that may no longer be first in line for the hottest properties coming from their parent studios.
In short, the evolution of the DTC marketplace for content will be costly, messy and risky. For starters, Disney will say goodbye to about $300 million in annual revenue it currently gets from Netflix for pay-TV rights to its theatrical releases, starting with its 2019 movie slate. Those movies — including “Captain Marvel,” “Dumbo,” “Toy Story 4,” “The Lion King,” “Frozen 2” and a new “Star Wars” installment — will now be key selling points for the new service Iger has referred to as “Disney Play.”
Also headed to Disney Play are series inspired by some of Disney’s biggest IPs, including new TV series based on Disney-Pixar’s Monsters, Inc., tween favorite High School Musical, and an all-new Marvel series.
Disney intends to adhere to quality over quantity with Disney Play so as to not compete with Netflix’s ever-expanding offerings of original movies and television shows. The company will also avoid pulling Disney-owned and Fox-owned content from existing streaming video on demand and international licensing deals because such a move would be “logistically difficult and extremely costly.”

Bob Iger also mentioned that it will be more cheaper than Netflix & Hulu

NeoplanDan

Occasionally Active
Why would Disney launch its own streaming service now that it has a controlling interest in Hulu?

Well because the service is only meant for the so-called family friendly content, whereas they not going to put most of the PG or R rated stuff on the new streaming service, most of it goes directly straight to the Former Fox portion of Hulu, the ones that Fox once had before Disney took over.

Mandouga

In any case, I just hope it lives up to its potential. Among other things, this is a good opportunity to upload some of the things they made that haven't been seen on TV in a long time, such as (for instance) the Soccermania special, which is basically a prototype version of DuckTales.

Make no mistake though, considering this is Disney we're talking about, it just wouldn't be a good idea if it only focused on the "current" stuff. For this reason, at least, it's not how much it costs that I'm concerned about.

Also, I will admit that the name "Disney Play" is kind of uninspired....

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Good for Disney for not pulling their shows from existing platforms. I still need to catch up on Sofia the First and Star Wars: The Clone Wars on Netflix.

Dudley

Staff member
I’m glad they’ve finally gave it a name, even if it’s something uninspired like Disney Play.
The company will lose out on $300 million annually, since they won’t be licensing out their shows and movies to other streaming services. Hopefully the earnings they make off of their platform will make up for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NeoplanDan

Occasionally Active
It’s not just uninspired or uninspiring, it’s just generic.

TsWade2

So does that mean it's the end of Disney Channel and the end of Disney showing movies at movie theaters?

Dudley

Staff member
So does that mean it's the end of Disney Channel and the end of Disney showing movies at movie theaters?

No. There’s still money to be made by releasing content through traditional venues.

RegularCapital

Staff member
Disney Play? Reminds me of Jetix Play, a channel that was mostly owned by Disney that aired cartoons in English in Eastern Europe. Why can't they use DisneyLife?

TsWade2

No. There’s still money to be made by releasing content through traditional venues.

Yeah, I didn't think so either. I know this maybe unlikely, but I hope they show the disney afternoon shows and disney's one saturday morning shows like House of Mouse. We'll see how it goes.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I predict Legend Of The Three Caballeros will be put on here if once comes to the United States. I mean, it follows a Netflix style model of 13 episodes as opposed to the usual 20-26 episode minimum of most Disney shows (excluding shows like Billy Dilley and Star Wars)

Dudley

Staff member
Yeah, I didn't think so either. I know this maybe unlikely, but I hope they show the disney afternoon shows and disney's one saturday morning shows like House of Mouse. We'll see how it goes.

I’ll be really disappointed if they don’t. With such a huge back catalog of movies and shows, I expect (almost) every show and movie the studio has ever made to be on that platform.

LinusFan303

Squeak
I am really (x35) hoping PepperAnn will be on there along with the other one One Saturday Morning Shows since they didn't feel to release them to DVD.

ToonJay723

Staff member
It's not called DisneyPlay. Variety updated their article.

NeoplanDan

Occasionally Active
It's not called DisneyPlay. Variety updated their article.

Good, I hope this proves that it was a bad name and maybe this will make Disney chose a proper name that had not been used by any company.

Dr.Pepper

I’m glad they didn’t go with Disney Play as it’s so boring and uninspired. They also better have Disney Afternoon and One Saturday Morning shows. I will punch a hole in my wall if they don’t.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts