Disney+ News & Discussion Thread

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
If it is available in Belgium and has Kim Possible, Buzz Lightyear of Star Command or Hercules: The Series, I will happily pay for it!

Last edited:

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
How will it affect the current Disney Channel/XD/Junior on demand and will it launch globally? Anyway, interesting how many mediahouses are going the same way and creating their own exclusive platforms.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
What do you guys think about this? Personally, I can expect another bubble popped just like in 2001 with the dot-com bubble!
We can't afford to subscribe to all of them, so many people will wind up subscribing to NONE of them. Disney, CBS, and DC are not thinking things through clearly.

NeoplanDan

Occasionally Active
So, Disney decided to make their own streaming service, isn't that the strategy that TW did with when they make Boomerang, a very separate streaming service, based off of a said channel, that is currently not improving strong enough. I have see something like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dr.Pepper

We can't afford to subscribe to all of them, so many people will wind up subscribing to NONE of them. Disney, CBS, and DC are not thinking things through clearly.
This is why I switch off every couple of months. Currently I subscribe to Netflix but I'm going to let my subscription expire and switch to Hulu in September (mainly for SNL).

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
That's why I predict that soon, the SVOD bubble will burst! It would be the dot-com bubble all over again!

Dudley

Staff member
Will it have been 3 years by then? That's how long the Netflix deal would supposedly last.

Well, if any media company could pull this off, it's Disney. They're a brand name beloved the world over, and they have content that's enjoyed by people of all ages. If they add shows like the Disney Afternoon and One Saturday Morning, and all of their Disney animated movies under one roof, then I'd be up for it.
As for the bubble bursting from too many SVOD services, eventually companies will realize that less choices is best for consumers, and many more niches services will be gone.
However, some will just choose to pay for one or two a month, and then switch to something else later. Hopefully people will realize that they don't HAVE multiple ones at once.
Personally, I think the best reason to have content creators to have their own streaming service is to combat the licensing issue. It's a pain when your favorite movies or shows moves to a different SVOD after a while, which does slowly happen with Netflix.

Also, i read in an article that Disney actually regrets their deal with Netflix. Netflix now has data on how Disney's films performs and they can use that to produce, co-finance, or distribute a quality animated film that will resonate with audiences in a way a Disney film can. Netflix does have the resources to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Competition is good. You don't have to be subscribed to them all at once.

Currently the only interesting thing for me on Netflix Belgium is Arrow Season 4/5. (although I have heard both seasons suck) I am not going to subscribe for just that.

We don't have ANY other proper streaming service. Don't complain you have 5+ good ones. I have nothing unless I download a VPN. (which is illegal)

Last edited:

Zorak Masaki

I wonder how this will affect the Disney Channel and Disney XD apps/on-demand channels.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Could the situation in CZ be really better than in Belgium? I find it hard to believe.
Which streaming services are available in your country?

HBO has got a deal with Telenet/UPC here, pretty much like pay tv. Hulu doesn't exist here. Amazon UK's services just recently got available here, but everything is completely unlocalized. There are a few free services that air shows from our local channels, no original content. So yeah, Netflix hasn't got any competition here.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
@Red Arrow :D We've got HBO GO here, which is the most popular service since it's fully localized and has all the content HBO airs on TV either at the same time or even sooner. You get it for free with your HBO subscription on most providers. Netflix is available here too, but it's not fully localized. Far from it. It has CZ subtitles for roughly 100 titles and CZ dub for about 10, with the interface being in EN. It's not bad actually, but it will take time before it catches up. AmazonPrime is here newly too, but completely unlocalized at the moment. Hulu is unavailable. But Nova Group has Voyo subscription for their original content that people actually pay for and Prima Group has a similar iPrima service some people pay for as well. Alza, biggest retailer, offers localized older movies on demand. GooglePlay offers a lot of newer movies with CZ subs for rental/purchase. And UPC has Horizon On Demand and MyPrime which is free for UPC TV subscribers and offers quite a lot of subtitled or dubbed content. Plus O2TV has an On Demand service with various titles and catch up TV as well. So I guess the situation here is actually decent even though most of this happened only in the last 2-5 years.

ToonJay723

Staff member
http://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20170809_03009990

This streaming service will be only for the United States at first :( Other countries are considered. (but it is unknown which ones that are)

Netflix Belgium will keep all its Disney content, as will all other Netflixes except Netflix USA.

That makes sense. This streaming service is mostly meant to combat cordcutters. I'm not sure if cord cutting is a big problem in other countries.

NeoplanDan

Occasionally Active
Well, while here in the US, most of subscribers had either split from those who are still subscribed to currently cable, which it's slowly decreasing as the other half had subscribers to go towards cord cutting by apply to OTT services.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MegasMilo379

Finally.
I like this news. AND i THINK it'll be a great app to buy.
Especially if/when they add classic movies and TV shows of all eras to it.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.

Featured Posts