Disney+ News & Discussion Thread

Latest News & Videos

Aug 18, 2019
Bakersfield, CA United States
The Dutch Nickelodeon aired all old NickToons besides Doug, because Viacom doesn't own Doug internationally.

Doug did air on Dutch state television, I assume also in Aruba and the Dutch Antilles.
Back before Latin American channels were a thing in the Dutch Caribbean region, they used to have PAL converters because their region was NTSC and used to carry the NPO channels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mandouga

Jun 27, 2007
Newington, CT, USA
Okay, so somebody I know decided to get Disney+, and I decided to check it out through them (you know, because they asked, and I didn't want to seem ungrateful). I saw Flowers and Trees, the first Disney short made in color. Now there was a note saying (paraphrased) that it "may contain outdated cultural depictions". There was a part where the girl tree puts on makeup, but that can't be it (after all, even back then, not every girl wore makeup). Also you have the heroic boy tree who rescues the girl tree from the evil decrepit old tree who tries to set the forest on fire, but that still can't be it.

So the question is, where is the outdated cultural reference? Or is that just something they put there just in case somebody got the wrong idea somehow? If it is, then it would seem kind of paranoid, even for Disney..or at least I think so.

In any case, I meant what I said before. I won't really be looking into this until Disney+ has something worth checking out...other than

-the classic animated movies (which I refuse to call the "canon", because that cheapifies everything Disney really stands for)
-the previously mentioned classic shorts
-the anthology series (which Disney+ has some episodes of)
-the animated TV shows (which are being called Disney Channel originals, even though they aren't*)

Namely, I'm hoping that at some point, Disney+ will admit that The Disney Channel existed before 1996 (or the Playhouse Disney era, whichever came first). Otherwise, I would to say that this service is a joke, but I'm thinking that it's not that simple, especially since it's not avoiding the Disney vault...it IS the vault, although some parts are just "blocked off" right now. Still I'm holding out hope that it will happen at some point.

Also, Clock Cleaners; is that the original version, or is that the later version where Donald's "Says you!" is replaced because somebody thought it sounded like he was cursing?

*They're all made by Walt Disney TV Animation, but until Kim Possible (or so) none of them were made for The Disney Channel (although some of them did air on The Disney Channel at some point, but still).

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
the point of no return
So the question is, where is the outdated cultural reference? Or is that just something they put there just in case somebody got the wrong idea somehow? If it is, then it would seem kind of paranoid, even for Disney..or at least I think so.
I would say in this ultra sensitivity era, the female tree being protected by the male tree is. Believe it or not.

And yes, Disney Channel existed back in the 80s when I was a kid. My parents had a stint of getting cable, and while I didn't have Disney exclusively, they had free preview times. Some of the major animated series like Ducktales and Chip N Dale debuted there.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Mandouga

Jun 27, 2007
Newington, CT, USA
Some of the major animated series like Ducktales and Chip N Dale debuted there.
Debuted, yes, but ultimately those shows aired in syndication (and in some cases, also aired on ABC and even CBS) for their actual broadcast (although, I don't believe Ducktales was one of them; that one went straight to syndication). On the other hand, one exception was The New Adventures of Winnie-the-Pooh, which aired on just ABC instead. Oh, yeah, and by "Chip N Dale", I assume you mean "Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers"...

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Mar 11, 2005
California, USA
adultswim.toonzone.net
Okay, so somebody I know decided to get Disney+, and I decided to check it out through them (you know, because they asked, and I didn't want to seem ungrateful). I saw Flowers and Trees, the first Disney short made in color. Now there was a note saying (paraphrased) that it "may contain outdated cultural depictions".
Was it only this short? Did it appear on the other shorts? It's likely Disney could've just thrown that message on all their old stuff, regardless of content, and didn't want to take the time to individually check everything.

Reactions: Red Arrow

DonTrashRoom

Have a nice trip, see you next fall
Apr 11, 2015
Was it only this short? Did it appear on the other shorts? It's likely Disney could've just thrown that message on all their old stuff, regardless of content, and didn't want to take the time to individually check everything.
Yeah, that's what I gathered. Wouldn't it kill them to actually pre-screen these shorts to determine whether or not they actually merit these disclaimers?

Dr.Pepper

Sep 10, 2006
In A House
I did a quick two-minute look around and it appears that most, if not all of the classic shorts have that disclaimer. The movies don’t unless they actually have racist stereotypes.

Corwin Haught

Sep 14, 2013
So ELLIPSANIME (now owned by Dragaud/MediaToon) licensed the show from MTV NETWORKS International for distribution in the EMEA region. While EM.TV* used to own the show in Germany, German-Speaking Switzerland, German-Speaking Austria and German-Speaking Luxembourg. ELLIPSANIME handled distribution and licensing for the rest of EMEA when there were no Nick channels available at that time.
(*EM.TV was bought out by STUDIO 100 in 2008 so the German rights are currently with STUDIO 100 Deutschland)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ellipse was in fact a co-producer of the show, so their rights were not sub-licensed from MTVN International, but arranged with Nickelodeon directly. (Just the Nick years, as Disney didn't need such an arrangement.)

Last edited:
Reactions: MegasMilo379

PF9

Jul 9, 2008
Ohio
I read that Hamilton contains some explicit language.

It was censored to be able to put on Disney+.

It should have been released under the 20th Century Studios brand on Hulu with all language intact. Censorship is wrong.

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
Aug 3, 2002
Chiyo-chan's America
I read that Hamilton contains some explicit language.

It was censored to be able to put on Disney+.

It should have been released under the 20th Century Studios brand on Hulu with all language intact. Censorship is wrong.
The problem with this isn't due to Disney, but rather a flawed rating system that would give films an R-rating due to the number of f-bombs dropped, yet would otherwise be fine to show to younger audiences (Billy Elliott is a big example). With there being a number of younger Hamilton fans (such as my 9-year old niece, who went to see the show on Broadway), Disney would prefer to show this on Disney+ instead of Hulu and are willing to make some sacrifices (i.e. censoring some F-bombs) to do so.

Reactions: MegasMilo379

PF9

Jul 9, 2008
Ohio
I don't know if anyone that young should be seeing Hamilton either the movie or on Broadway. There's other curses besides the F-bomb in it too. I know that from reading the quotes section on IMDB. It is just not appropriate for the Disney label.

Having a PG-13 movie based on a Disney park attraction is one thing. But having a PG-13 movie based on material that Disney does not own is another. This is why Disney has 20th Century Studios.

And also, if you're gonna censor one curse word, you have to censor them all.

Honestly, if Disney truly wanted to release Hamilton under their label, they should have made an actual film adaptation with script changes to remove profanity, rather than just film a stage performance that keeps these words intact.

Dr.Pepper

Sep 10, 2006
In A House
I know I said this on the unpopular opinions thread on the Entertainment Board, but I don’t think Hamilton fits with the Disney + brand. It should be on Hulu. Even though the version that is on Disney + is edited, there is still a decent amount of foul language.

Also what is up with all these 9-year-olds being obsessed with Hamilton? Inside Edition did two different stories about kids throwing extravagant watch parties. My parents would have never let me watch something with an expletive soundtrack.

Reactions: RainbowCupcake

NeoplanDan

Just Think Twice Before You Say Anything
Apr 24, 2016
USA
www.youtube.com
I know I said this on the unpopular opinions thread on the Entertainment Board, but I don’t think Hamilton fits with the Disney + brand. It should be on Hulu. Even though the version that is on Disney + is edited, there is still a decent amount of foul language.

Also what is up with all these 9-year-olds being obsessed with Hamilton? Inside Edition did two different stories about kids throwing extravagant watch parties. My parents would have never let me watch something with an expletive soundtrack.
Some parents don't care, just as long as their kids is entertained with something, even if it's filled with profanities as such.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

LinusFan303

A Fan of Linus Van Pelt.
Mar 26, 2018
Colorado
Hamilton had to go to Disney Plus because Disney Plus needed something new to entice people.
Disney does need to clear up things though on what Disney Plus is supposed to be like is it supposed to be family friendly or it general audience? Why are some things moved to Hulu for content but other things are alright?

To me, It would make more sense to have everything on Hulu and not have a Disney Plus just because it would be cleaner than having two non sports streaming services. Have family stuff on Hulu called Disney Plus and non family called Hulu Originals or FX on Hulu for the FX made stuff. This is just an idea or whatever.

It's weird how un organized they seem to be on what this planning was in general.

I think it's because it's based on history and parents and educators seemed to like that it was and it seems cool to keep kids' attention.

Last edited:

AdrenalineRush1996

May 13, 2016
Whether it fits with the brand or not, the purpose for Hamilton becoming available on the service was to aim it towards a marketable audience, hence why some language was censored and this doesn't rule out an uncut version on Hulu.

Reactions: Frontier

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy anniversary to Rugrats, Doug and The Ren & Stimpy Show, which premiered on Nickelodeon 29 years ago today!
Look guys! Another reboot:

...and it is going to be a drama?

Just like with San Diego Comic Con a few weeks ago, New York Comic Con will be virtual this year. It's from October 8-11.
I wish a happy birthday to Roger Craig Smith (45), Will Friedle (44), and Alyson Stoner (27). Roger's roles include Batman, Sonic The Hedgehog, and Captain America. Will's roles include Terry McGinnis/Batman, Ron Stoppable, and Peter Quill/Star Lord. Allyson's roles include Isabella (Phineas And Ferb), Batgirl (Young Justice, Lego DC DVD movies), and Sam Sharp.