Disney International Channel Closures Thread

RegularCapital

Staff member
The media including myself believe that Africa will lose their Disney Channel and Disney Junior by the end of 2023 round it up you get 2024.

One thing I'm expecting from all of this is for some markets to still not have Disney+ kind of like Asia.

Sent from my Hisense U964 using Tapatalk

Two years is rather suspiciously short for a carriage deal, they're typically 3-5 years long.

themidnightlore

That one that banters over Sony TV channels
So, I was looking at Logopedia for save some logos. I went to the Disney page as I had to save some stuff (namely Dlife, Freeform and Viajar)...
And, uhm, apparently Viajar and the Spanish Fox Life will close at the end of the year. Take this with a grain of salt for now, as I gotta find a source.

JulianRO

So, I was looking at Logopedia for save some logos. I went to the Disney page as I had to save some stuff (namely Dlife, Freeform and Viajar)...
And, uhm, apparently Viajar and the Spanish Fox Life will close at the end of the year. Take this with a grain of salt for now, as I gotta find a source.
Here you go:

themidnightlore

Francisque

So some closures happening also in Spain...

Sorry for the second post, but apparently DC Spain could disappear from the Spanish DTT in 2023!

@RegularCapital

Mod note: Double posts merged. Please use the edit button.

Last edited by a moderator:

Francisque

I think that now that Viajar is going, the only minor brand got from the Fox merger left is 24Kitchen in the Adria? region. If it's still around.
If still productive, given the size of these markets and probably not likely to happen soon launch of Disney+ there, it could stay in its place..

24Kitchen also exists in Portugal BTW

RegularCapital

Staff member

Sorry for the second post, but apparently DC Spain could disappear from the Spanish DTT in 2023!
Even the FTA operations aren't safe, 2025 is when the licence is expires. Although this depends on the success of Disney+ in Spain, and whether the viewing share is enough (which is a lot more important on FTA channels) to sustain the existence of the channel. Also to add, Boing is regularly beating Disney in terms of viewership at the moment, and that's not even considering Clan TVE.

JulianRO

2025 is when the licence is expires
Do you have any idea when the license of the Romanian version of Disney Channel is gonna expire? I searched on MAVISE and the only thing I found is that is owned by the Spanish division (The Walt Disney Company Iberia S.A.)

Francisque

Do you have any idea when the license of the Romanian version of Disney Channel is gonna expire? I searched on MAVISE and the only thing I found is that is owned by the Spanish division (The Walt Disney Company Iberia S.A.)
As usual, MAVISE confuses licensing and ownership.

The Spanish doesn't control any of the EMEA operations other than the ones in Spain and Portugal, however, licenses are in Spain, now.

But ownership is in London

RegularCapital

Staff member

Unfortunately, the CNMC (Spanish Media Regulator) website doesn't document licences (or how long they last), which is why I had to assume some licences were Spanish after the licences were moved outside the UK after Brexit, until MAVISE updated their database.

As usual, MAVISE confuses licensing and ownership.

The Spanish doesn't control any of the EMEA operations other than the ones in Spain and Portugal, however, licenses are in Spain, now.

But ownership is in London
Same for WarnerMedia, where the licences are through HBO Europe's Czech subsidiary, where as the main HBO Europe HQ is in London. They only exist as a regulatory technicality so the channels can provide both linear and VOD services within the EU single market (as deemed acceptable by the EU).

OFF: Interestingly, Sky opted for a Luxembourg licence for Sky News, which they can actually do as a fallback, as they can claim the satellite's operator (in this case SES Astra) as the country of origin, but if it's on Eutelsat, you will have to accept French regulations. I guess most media companies prefer to use an actual physical presence to be sure.

Sky News International has no ads, so I guess they don't have to be concerned about any advertising regulations in Luxembourg, which probably also explains the same thing for BBC One or BBC Two, but the other commercial BBC channels use a Dutch licence.

J10

Unfortunately, the CNMC (Spanish Media Regulator) website doesn't document licences (or how long they last), which is why I had to assume some licences were Spanish after the licences were moved outside the UK after Brexit, until MAVISE updated their database

Sky News International has no ads, so I guess they don't have to be concerned about any advertising regulations in Luxembourg, which probably also explains the same thing for BBC One or BBC Two, but the other commercial BBC channels use a Dutch licence.
Off-topic:

The BBC/ITV should have to be concern and informed, because in Malta, Italian channels are banned from airing Euro 2020 (2021) inside the country, due to rights.
Why Euro 2020 matches are being blocked on Italian TV channels

Couldn’t they just do the same thing in countries like Switzerland and Belgium, as the BBC & ITV has and had FTA rights to some selected sports events in their country (in the UK) like Euro 2020 (2021)?

ON:

We don’t have to go to Mavise website, as they don’t update quickly and it’s much confusable to know what license are channels like Disney Channel or Disney Junior broadcasting and who owns it. There is already an official website for both Ofcom & RRtv, but what about the rest?

Last edited:

RegularCapital

Staff member
Off-topic:

The BBC should have to be concern, because in Malta, Italian channels are banned from airing Euro 2020 (2021) inside the country, due to rights.
Why Euro 2020 matches are being blocked on Italian TV channels

Couldn’t they just do the same thing in countries like Switzerland and Belgium, as the BBC & ITV has and had FTA rights to some selected sports events in their country like Euro 2020 (2021)?

In Switzerland, they have a law where any FTA channel that is receivable via conventional reception equipment can be distributed, the BBC or ITV didn't have the broadcasting rights for Euro 2020 in Switzerland. In Benelux, the BBC channels are available, but aren't free, ITV (TVS) hasn't been available since the late 1980's/early 1990's.

ON:

We don’t have to go to Mavise website, as they don’t update quickly and it’s much confusable to know what license are channels like Disney Channel or Disney Junior broadcasting and who owns it. There is already an official website for both Ofcom & RRtv, but what about the rest?

Not all media regulatory websites list the licences, hence why we have to depend on MAVISE, in the EU, CVDM (Dutch) and RRTV (Czech) are possibly the best two media regulatory websites for information.

Reactions: J10

J10

In Switzerland, they have a law where any FTA channel that is receivable via conventional reception equipment can be distributed, the BBC or ITV didn't have the broadcasting rights for Euro 2020 in Switzerland. In Benelux, the BBC channels are available, but aren't free, ITV (TVS) hasn't been available since the late 1980's/early 1990's.

Not all media regulatory websites list the licenses, hence why we have to depend on MAVISE, in the EU, CVDM (Dutch) and RRTV (Czech) are possibly the best two media regulatory websites for information.
I was mentioning countries as an example, the ones that are carrying British channels like BBC & ITV, and I was just requesting whether they should ban the channels during matches, like the same situation happened in Malta, or not.

Last edited:

RegularCapital

Staff member
I was mentioning countries as an example, the ones that are carrying British channels like BBC & ITV. I was just requesting where they should ban the channels during matches like the same situation in Malta or not.

I believe that they're not blocked as it's not considered to be an issue in those countries.

Francisque

Sadly, not many media authorities are as clear, with information easy to find and accessible as OFCOM, where you can find pretty much anything, from advertising rules to licensed channels in a clear unfiltered way.

AGCOM in comparison is a mess, and their terminology (e.g. using 20% instead of a clearer 12 minutes per hour) is hard to understand

themidnightlore

MAVISE can also be kinda outdated, as it doesn't get many annual updates. I remember the A&E Spain (or it was Iberia?) license that the MAVISE kept on listed even after it closed and Blaze took its place (last time I checked, it was fixed)

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts