Disney Classic Games: Aladdin and The Lion King [PS4/XBOX One/Switch/PC]

ToonJay723

Staff member
Disney has announced that they'll be releasing updated ports of Aladdin and The Lion King to PS4, XBOX One, Nintendo Switch and PC.

Aladdin
  • Sega Genesis Version
  • GameBoy and Super GameBoy versions
  • Final Cut
  • Trade Show Demo
The Lion King
  • Sega Genesis Version
  • Super Nintendo Version
  • GameBoy and Super GameBoy versions
Unfortunately the Super Nintendo version of Aladdin will not be in this collection. Most likely because that version was done by Capcom, while all the versions listed above were done by Virgin Interactive Entertainment.

IGN Article

TargetmasterJoe

I honestly thought it was a hoax when it got dropped by Wario64 yesterday.

Bummer we’re not getting the SNES Aladdin game by Capcom. Wonder if someone will do something about that.

I also wonder if this means we’ll see the Toy Story 16-bit video game later down the line.

ToonJay723

Staff member
Shame that they're only doing these to tie in with the live action remakes. They could have also had Pinocchio, The Jungle Book.

Light Lucario

Staff member
This is pretty awesome news. I vaguely remember renting The Lion King for the Super Nintendo from Blockbuster when I was little. I don't recall renting the Aladdin game, but since I have the movie on video, I could have done that as well. Given how infamous The Lion King game is for its difficulty, I'm surprised that I don't remember it being that hard, but I might have used cheat codes.

I don't know if these games will be as difficult in these remastered version, but I'll still buy it for the Switch. Getting a chance to play some classic Super Nintendo games is pretty great. I still wish that they'd make Nintendo 64 games available on the Switch's e-shop. Plus, seeing all of the artwork and hearing the music for these games will be great.

The Lion King is my favorite Disney movie and Aladdin is pretty high up the list as well, so playing video games based off those movies sound like a lot of fun.

ShadowBeast

Given how infamous The Lion King game is for its difficulty, I'm surprised that I don't remember it being that hard, but I might have used cheat codes.
I still have my Lion King game for Sega. I remember it being a pain, but not being as hard as it's been declared to be. I've had a lot harder time with the sonic games for Sega.

I'm glad they didn't simply port these titles over and call it a day like some other game studios. That being said, I don't think there's quite enough new content to justify the price tag. $30 is fine for AA games and higher tier indie stuff but these are 25 year old games that are thirty minutes to an hour in length. Even a lot of AAA games from the current and last console generation have received significant price drops and can be bought for the same amount or cheaper.

It would be more understandable if they threw in a remastered version with touched up graphics, new bosses, different levels, etc. Also, some versions are missing like the gba and snes, I'm guessing due to licensing issues.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
For anyone who can't afford those consoles (and I know I can't) both the Genesis version of Aladdin and The Lion King are coming to AT Games 2019 version of their Legends Flashback dedicated console. Preorders are sold out and it's not up at Amazon yet, but they shouldn't be too tough to find. AT Games dedicated consoles have mostly stopped sucking too so this might make sense.

Here is the game list:

You'll note that it has other Disney games like Donald in Maui Mallard, Gargoyles, The Jungle Book, and Fix-It Felix too.

If even that is too rich for your blood there is the Flashback Adventure Blast with most of the Disney games outside of Gargoyles:

Game list for that:

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
The making-of videos for The Lion King were mostly promotional fluff, since they were recorded at the time of its creation- although I did get a kick out of the CES show where Rafiki got the audience to chant along, and we got Jeffrey Katzenberg (only a year before leaving to co-found Dreamworks) holding an actual lion cub, which you can tell wasn't the most comfortable thing to do.

The Aladdin retrospectives were much more interesting. You really got a sense that they had a great time making the game. One of my favorite anecdotes was when they were doing focus group testing, they found that a lot of boys were skipping past the still image cutscenes to get to the gameplay. One girl actually read them, so they asked her why she did, and she replied that she thought there would be gameplay tips and was mad that there weren't any.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

WBD announces a Meerkat Manor animated film. In other news, the world suddenly remembers Meerkat Manor exists.
Today marks the 5th Year Anniversary of when the HD Double Pack of Final Fantasy X & X-2 was released on the Nintendo Switch in North America. It was nice to be able to play my favorite Final Fantasy game on a Nintendo system.
Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)

Featured Posts