What movies do you think are unsuitable for children, yet too silly for teens?

FirePuppy

Can you think of any movies that you believe are not suitable for children, but also too silly for teens at the same time? Remember, they do not have to be "children's films".

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Since Halloween is coming up, Fun Sized. I never actually seen it but that’s what I heard.
It is such a strange movie tonally. It feels like someone was writing a lesser quality DCOM and got permission to sneak in swears or innuendo, etc, like a mischievous 6th graders putting extra emphasis on an occasional curse word during a class reading.

It's not smart enough to get to the status of a clever teen comedy like 10 Things I hate About You and it's too raunchy to be kids nostalgic favorite like Good Burger.

Last edited:

Golden Geek

Radio Demon
Staff member
Reporter
I don't think the Barbie movie is particularly unsuitable for kids - parents have been taking them to PG-13s since the dawn of the rating. They even get their own tie-in toys sometimes. It doesn't by any means push the rating either.

Even if it was by some standard, it's not too silly for teens - teens and adults seem to have really enjoyed it.

On the subject...Shane Dawson's Not Cool, maybe? I thought it was funny when I was 13 but it is incredibly juvenile. One of the first jokes is a homeless man holding a cup saying "I'd rather eat my own (poop). And I do! This is (poop) up in here!"

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
If the Barbie movie were either unsuitable for little kids or something teens rejected for being too silly it would not have been the monster hit it was. It does not fit the thread premise.

Dr.Pepper

In regards of the Barbie movie, I found it to be very tame for PG-13 (like there was only one part that wouldn’t pass in a PG movie) but I still wouldn’t show it to a really little kid. Yes it is silly, but it had a sort of sophistication to it.

John Pannozzi

Leggo my Eggo, mouth breather!
Can you think of any movies that you believe are not suitable for children, but also too silly for teens at the same time? Remember, they do not have to be "children's films".
People seemed to think The Monster Squad fell into this demographic limbo back in 1987. Hence, it did poor at the box office, and only gradually gained a cult following in the years since.

Zorak Masaki

How about the Police Academy films (though they did have a decent following among kids and teens)? For a more recent example, how about Pixels (I liked it, but I know I was in the minority).

Last edited:

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
I think a better title for this thread would be something like "Movies that are too stupid for adults, but too smutty for children", but that's just me.

As for a movie to add, I'd have to say Oh Heavenly Dog.

FirePuppy

How about the Police Academy films (though they did have a decent following among kids and teens)? For a more recent example, how about Pixels (I liked it, but I know I was in the minority).
I wouldn't accept that since it's rated R.

the greenman

I don't think this is, but I just watched Little shop of horrors 1986 musical again. I saw it in grade school. It is funny not scary.

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
People seemed to think The Monster Squad fell into this demographic limbo back in 1987. Hence, it did poor at the box office, and only gradually gained a cult following in the years since.
I remember being in second grade when I first saw Monster Squad. I think it was a late night airing on local TV. I remember getting excited in class when I found out classmates discovered the movie at the same time I did, only for us to get scolded by our teacher for being up that late.

I never really thought of it as atypical among 80s kids movies outside of the onscreen kills. I'm always surprised when I revisit one of the movies that shaped my childhood and I see how much PG swears and innuendo are in them.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I mean I can get being annoyed with hate-watching and parasocial trailer bashing. It’s just undoubtedly peculiar to be involved with an adult cartoon remake of Good Times and be super defensive about it instead of understanding.
Nick KCA press site is now gone

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?

Featured Posts