Disney bought 21st Century Fox for $71.3 billion in stock

jasonnguyen2606

Fox international website is officially dead and was redirected to 20th century studios website.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dudley

Staff member
So 20th Century Fox Television is taking on the name of its distribution arm. Will that have a separate name of it’s own? Or will the division dissolve and merge into Disney’s already existing TV distribution arm?
And when will Fox Television Animation be rebranded?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
The TV production labels of
Disney Television Studios
have been rebranded.

20th Century Fox Television => 20th Television
(the Fox has left the hole)
ABC Studios => ABC Signature
(the Alphabet broadcast and cable entities have merged into a single shingle)
Fox 21 Television Studios => Touchstone Television (the Touchstone brand is back, baby!)

What should have happened:

20th Century Fox Television => 20th Century Television (branding for shows produced by DTS for broadcast networks other than ABC)
ABC Studios => ABC Productions, used exclusively for ABC-aired series
Fox 21 Television Studios and ABC Signature => Combined as ABC 21 Signature, used for cable and streaming shows

MegasMilo379

Finally.
SO Fox name now ceases to exist?
No. Fox is it's own company and owns the rights to the name, and the licensing agreement between them and Disney (for 20th Century Fox, Fox Searchlight, etc.) came to an end.

What should have happened:
20th Century Fox Television => 20th Century Television
ABC Studios => ABC Productions
Fox 21 Television Studios and ABC Signature => Combined as ABC 21 Signature

Agree on 20th Century TV.
Disagree on ABC Productions (dull & old-fashioned) and ABC 21 Signature (surreal, extra & impractical).

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
Agree on 20th Century TV.
Disagree on ABC Productions (dull & old-fashioned) and ABC 21 Signature (surreal, extra & impractical).

Disney considered having divisions of DTS with "Studios" in their name to be wonky.

I had initially said ABC Studios should keep its name, but after reading the Deadline article, I decided ABC Productions would be sufficient.

In choosing my name for the combined ABC Signature and Fox 21, I wanted to keep elements of both names. The Fox name obviously would be jettisoned. So, putting 21 between ABC and Signature would have allowed people to figure that the company was a merger of ABC Signature and Fox 21. The Fox 21 logo would have been the basis for ABC 21 Signature's, so that it didn't need to be a variant of ABC Productions.

My proposal also would have entailed the 20th Television distribution arm being folded into the main Disney syndication arm. There's no need to operate two distributors, CBS realized that in 2007 when they merged CBS Paramount Domestic Television (formerly just Paramount Domestic Television) and King World Productions into CBS Television Distribution. King World and PDT had been allowed to co-operate in the first Viacom era because both were highly-respected names in syndication.

But as operating costs went up, Viacom decided to consolidate its TV production and distribution operations. The international distribution arms merged in 2004, and that same year, CBS Productions and Paramount Network TV began operating together but initially keeping their separate names. After The 4400 concluded its first season, Viacom Productions was merged into PNT. Big Ticket effectively stopped operating in 2004 after its remaining network shows were cancelled, its name and logo was still used for copyright purposes over the years for several syndicated courtroom shows.

After the CBS/Viacom split, Spelling Television effectively folded (its last series ended in 2007), while CBS Productions and PNT were officially combined into what became CBS Television Studios, and the distribution arms were collapsed into one as well.

So, there is much precedent for my desire to have Disney operate a single network TV production arm (using different names/logos depending on what network the show is on), a single cable/streaming TV production arm, and a single TV distribution arm.

Last edited:

The Master C

The TV production labels of
Disney Television Studios
have been rebranded.

20th Century Fox Television => 20th Television
(the Fox has left the hole)
ABC Studios => ABC Signature
(the Alphabet broadcast and cable entities have merged into a single shingle)
Fox 21 Television Studios => Touchstone Television (the Touchstone brand is back, baby!)

It was only a matter of time before this happened. I'm fine with all of the names. I imagine that they'll eventually rebrand Fox Television Animation into either 20th Television Animation, 20th Century Television Animation, or Touchstone Animation. For simplicity purposes, I'm hoping for the first one.

RDG

Aspiring animator/filmmaker and Ugliest Man Alive

MegasMilo379

Finally.
Disney considered having divisions of DTS with "Studios" in their name to be wonky.

I had initially said ABC Studios should keep its name, but after reading the Deadline article, I decided ABC Productions would be sufficient.

In choosing my name for the combined ABC Signature and Fox 21, I wanted to keep elements of both names. The Fox name obviously would be jettisoned. So, putting 21 between ABC and Signature would have allowed people to figure that the company was a merger of ABC Signature and Fox 21. The Fox 21 logo would have been the basis for ABC 21 Signature's, so that it didn't need to be a variant of ABC Productions.

My proposal also would have entailed the 20th Television distribution arm being folded into the main Disney syndication arm. There's no need to operate two distributors, CBS realized that in 2007 when they merged CBS Paramount Domestic Television (formerly just Paramount Domestic Television) and King World Productions into CBS Television Distribution. King World and PDT had been allowed to co-operate in the first Viacom era because both were highly-respected names in syndication.

But as operating costs went up, Viacom decided to consolidate its TV production and distribution operations. The international distribution arms merged in 2004, and that same year, CBS Productions and Paramount Network TV began operating together but initially keeping their separate names. After The 4400 concluded its first season, Viacom Productions was merged into PNT. Big Ticket effectively stopped operating in 2004 after its remaining network shows were cancelled, its name and logo was still used for copyright purposes over the years for several syndicated courtroom shows.

After the CBS/Viacom split, Spelling Television effectively folded (its last series ended in 2007), while CBS Productions and PNT were officially combined into what became CBS Television Studios, and the distribution arms were collapsed into one as well.

So, there is much precedent for my desire to have Disney operate a single network TV production arm (using different names/logos depending on what network the show is on), a single cable/streaming TV production arm, and a single TV distribution arm.
Fair enough.

Um, the 20th Television logo/name (sans Fox) already existed LONG
Um, I know that.
I didn't say it was brand-new.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Disney is ending 4K transfers of Fox titles.

the greenman

Disney is ending 4K transfers of Fox titles.

Death of physical media is soon. That is obvious now.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Mandouga

Death of physical media is soon. That is obvious now.

There's nothing "obvious" about it. I don't like this myself, but I imagine that future releases will now just get the standard 1080p treatment on Blu-Ray, and "remastering" treatment on DVD.

Look, could we PLEASE not jump to conclusions here? Sure, there are some who actually think that digital downloads and streaming is going to replace Blu-Ray (both versions) and DVD, but I think that most people realize that an all digital future won't work (you can't share a download, after all). The bottom line is, just as movie theaters aren't going anywhere, neither are physical releases.

the greenman

Trust me, I support physical media. I do think we as consumers need to be wise about this though. Collect your favorites now. Cause the studios are just going digital and there are no real standards to how. They can alter, censor, and God forbid erase some films if we don't know about it.

I once semt an email to WARNER ARCHOVES treatment of Swat KATS on dvd. They did fairly well, but some of the bumpers are missing.

b8b77da89b126b481dd30f34c25ef550.gif
c8f0c5f120a1afadff5596979a0666d6.jpg
bd8526c61b5f9743bb88711623e34acf.jpg
9276416ee36763258ba9cdbcde8fcc8d.jpg

10cbbdc78a96930647a1e78197a38f81.gif
49b9e5e7e226ffc90234b81c8b72ec82.jpg

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts