Disney bought 21st Century Fox for $71.3 billion in stock

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
I think the opposition to making profanity-free versions of certain Marvel works available on Disney+ may have to do with an opposition to censorship.

Disney+ could also make the ABC Family/Fox Family archive available, minus stuff which isn't so family-friendly (that content will go under the Freeform section of Hulu, instead).

The Master C

I don't know if this has been posted here yet, but The Walt Disney Studios' movie website began posting trailers and posters of 20th Century Fox movies in the "News" section of the website, starting with The Art of Racing in the Rain, as well as adding the release dates of upcoming 20th Century Fox movies of 2019, starting with Dark Phoenix and ending with Spies in Disguise, to the "Our Movies" section of the website. This started on around May 20th, exactly two months after the merger closed.

Note: The only upcoming Fox movie of 2019 that isn't listed on Disney's website is Ready or Not (Fox Searchlight), which releases on August 23, 2019. Also, previously released Fox titles post-merger, such as Breakthrough (Fox 2000) and Tolkien (Fox Searchlight) don't appear on Disney's website either.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I agree.

Why not?
Because that's something nobody wants. If anyone truly has a problem with it, Disney+ can set it so that nobody under a certain age can have access to the PG-13 movies without their parents' permission. I guarantee you that if Disney starts censoring their popular movies, the filmmakers who make them would go into conniptions, and it would discourage great filmmakers from working for Marvel and Disney. It is one of the most terrible ideas for the service I have ever heard of.

Last edited:

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Fone Bone is right. Who are supposed to watch these censored movies? If you're interested in a movie, you want to see it uncensored.
Even in countries where this sort of thing happens, this incites to piracy and it is illegal. Reminds me of how SIC aired Kingsman with the church scene removed - this is a secular country, not Malaysia.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Fone Bone is right.
I have found that happens more often than not. At least enough for it not to be a coincidence. Good enough for government work.
Who are supposed to watch these censored movies? If you're interested in a movie, you want to see it uncensored.
I know TV censors American movies all the time, but the entire selling point of streaming is not having to do that. TV sucks. There is no reason for Disney to censor the Marvel movies anyways. I cannot think of anything in them that is all that objectionable to begin with. Maybe Tony Stark using the P word in Iron Man 3. But that's the only word in those movies I ever had a problem with. I doubt Marvel movies have ever fussed parents.
Even in countries where this sort of thing happens, this incites to piracy and it is illegal. Reminds me of how SIC aired Kingsman with the church scene removed - this is a secular country, not Malaysia.
It weirds me out how some Americans see that authoritarian crap in other countries and say "That's for me!" This is part of the reason I think these media consolidation threads on Anime Superhero are so damaging in the first place. They tend to make people in them value and want terrible things. It's not even a poster like PF9's fault. As frustrated as I sometimes am, the entire idea of talking about how companies should handle mergers is just something that does nobody any good. Executive decisions tend to be terrible, and that also seems to be true when fans suggest them. Best we stay out of it.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I feel like American companies (at least Disney and CN) look a bit down on us (Europe). Our local TV channels started showing gay characters in children programs in 1999. It's 2019 and Disney banned "Lady Krillers" in EMEA, including Belgium, but I watched it in English and it was less controversial than something like SheZow...

I wouldn't be surprised if Western Europe gets a censored Disney+...

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
I feel like American companies (at least Disney and CN) look a bit down on us (Europe). Our local TV channels started showing gay characters in children programs in 1999. It's 2019 and Disney banned "Lady Krillers" in EMEA, including Belgium, but I watched it in English and it was less controversial than something like SheZow...

I wouldn't be surprised if Western Europe gets a censored Disney+...
Even Portugal showed that controversial Good Luck, Charlie! episode back in 2014 uncut.

IIRC I recall seeing boys dressed up as girls in cartoons for kids and I saw no problems.

Radiant97

Uploaded Intelligence
Now I'm worried about how Disney+ Indonesia will turn out. Our standards are even more backwards, full offense.

Moleoman

IIRC I recall seeing boys dressed up as girls in cartoons for kids and I saw no problems.

I remember that when Poland still received Disney Channel Scandinavia/Middle East/Africa the "Thanks to Minnie" episode of "House of Mouse" still had the "Mickey's Big Break" short (in which Mickey and Donald dress up as Minnie and Daisy to replace a photo) intact. Moreover, the episode even had (like every other half-hours) Arabic dub credits along with Swedish, Norwegian and Danish ones.

On other hand, (apparently due to Ofcom standards restrictions) "Mickey's April Fools" (from "Donald's Pumbaa Prank") was edited to remove the scene where Mickey fakes his death.

Also, the "Ron the Man" episode of "Kim Possible" didn't premiere in Poland until Disney Channel Poland separated from DC MEA due to the episode's content (Ron reveals he's Jewish).

ltw9719

Unofficial Disney Channel Korea Social Ambassador
Just saw on Nat Geo Wild Asia:

25aa15c1ace5c0bf640a360c849db36f.jpg

1395027eecfa65d037093a1c1addf3ac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ltw9719

Unofficial Disney Channel Korea Social Ambassador
Also aired on FOX Asia.

Now I’m waiting for the promo of Toy Story 4, end with the ‘In Cinemas’ endboard made by Disney Channel Asia. It’s interesting that I’ve never seen the promo of X-Men: Dark Phoenix - an actual Fox movie - on FNG Asia channels yet. (Maybe because Disney had already expected the movie to be ruined and it actually did. )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Radiant97

Uploaded Intelligence
Yeah I think Disney in general barely has any interest in pushing Dark Phoenix due to its production setbacks and critical reviews. Still surprised that there's literally zero promotion for it on any of the FNG channels though.

The Master C

Hulu and FX will take over streaming and linear rights, respectively, to Lionsgate films that will be released in 2020 and 2021, marking the first collaboration between Hulu and FX ever since the Disney-Fox merger closed.

Last edited:

Mandouga

(Note: I'm posting this in both the Disney+ and "Disney Buys 20th Century Fox" threads)

So some of you think that there should be some kind of a "disclaimer" for certain kinds of movies they released in the past. However, what kind of disclaimers would you have them give everyone: the kind that say "may not be suitable for children", or even "viewer discretion (is) advised"? In my opinion, that wouldn't be fair to anyone. Look, we all know that racial stereotyping has been a problem in the past (like it still is today). However, movies like Dumbo, and yes, Song of the South were created for family viewing despite that. Disclaimers like that would unfairly make them out to be/sound more "adult" than they really are. What would that also mean: "13+" labels of some kind? I know some of you out there wouldn't like that. The short version is that we need to be careful what we wish for. We just might get it. Of course we just can't ignore this sort of thing either. If there is to be disclaimers of kind, they need to be both fair, and if anything, neutral, while remembering that these are still meant to be watched by families.

I bring this up because the Warner Archive Collection recently announced a Blu-Ray release of "Jonny Quest: The Complete Original Series" which restores the show as it was originally seen on prime time on ABC. I don't know if it's Hadji or some other reason, but it comes with a disclaimer that says it's "intended for the adult collectior; may not be suitable for children", which I don't think is really fair since, prime time or not, it's still a family show. I personally suspect that it won't be (that much) different from, say, the version that's on the Boomerang service. Going back to Disney+, would you rather they did something similar with certain family movies that have parts that might be "objectionable" (quotes, because it's a subjective term in this case) to some viewers?

The bottom line is if there are to be disclaimers, they need to avoid making the movies used for them look like they're more "adult" than they really are, certain issues or not. Disney is aware of all this, but they may decide to "play it safe" anyway. Again, everyone, we need to be careful what we wish for.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Today marks the 5th Year Anniversary of when the HD Double Pack of Final Fantasy X & X-2 was released on the Nintendo Switch in North America. It was nice to be able to play my favorite Final Fantasy game on a Nintendo system.
Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)
aegisrawks wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
I loved your post in that Nick thread. I really dislike Nick's mentality of "It didnt outdo the Super Bowl, CANCEL IT NAO" and I am so glad you agree, even if you are more realistic and more wise.

Featured Posts