Disney bought 21st Century Fox for $71.3 billion in stock

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
There's other sites out there that make it clear they're only stopping 4K on the old stuff. Supposedly Hocus Pocus and Home Alone were to be the last 4K releases. While future releases like Pixar, Marvel or Star Wars will still be released in 4K. But even then, today, the Disney rep denied the news was true.

SpongeBobFan2004

Disney is ending 4K transfers of Fox titles.

So all later catalog releases of 20th Century Studios and Searchlight Pictures will be reissues of preexisting Blu-Ray discs or something else....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PF9

OK Disney should at least have its TV shows assigned between its studios based on the following criteria:

Shows aired on ABC would be ABC Signature productions.

Shows aired on other broadcast networks would be 20th Television productions.

Shows for basic cable networks and some for streaming services would be Touchstone Television productions (and incorporate the lightning bolt logo into its ID which remains based primarily on Fox 21 TV).

Shows produced for premium cable networks as well as some for streaming services would be Searchlight Television productions.

AdrenalineRush1996

OK Disney should at least have its TV shows assigned between its studios based on the following criteria:

Shows aired on ABC would be ABC Signature productions.

Shows aired on other broadcast networks would be 20th Television productions.

Shows for basic cable networks and some for streaming services would be Touchstone Television productions (and incorporate the lightning bolt logo into its ID which remains based primarily on Fox 21 TV).

Shows produced for premium cable networks as well as some for streaming services would be Searchlight Television productions.
I'm pretty sure they are doing just that.

PF9

Here's the list of shows that would be realigned between Disney Television Studios brands (counting only shows being produced now or shows with set premiere dates, and made specifically for American television):

From ABC Signature to 20th Television
The Amazing Race (CBS, previously under Touchstone Television and ABC Studios)

From ABC Signature to Searchlight Television
Godfather of Harlem (Epix)

From ABC Signature to Touchstone Television
Grown-ish (Freeform)

From 20th Television to ABC Signature
Big Sky (ABC)

From Touchstone Television to Searchlight Television
The Chi (Showtime)

The streaming shows would be assigned based on rating category. Searchlight Television would take over the TV-MA streaming shows, and TV-14 and lower streaming shows go to Touchstone Television.

Numerous shows in development would also shift to different studios based on the platforms they are being developed for.

PF9

Disney should also use branding conventions for its films similar to the ones I proposed for its TV studios.

All non-Marvel/Lucasfilm movies rated PG-13 and up would go under 20th Century Studios or Searchlight Pictures depending on if it is mainstream or not. New installments of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies would be the only exceptions since they are based on Disney park attractions.

Anything PG or lower that is mainstream would be under the Walt Disney Pictures banner. Even movies produced by Blue Sky.

This brings to mind the movie Hamilton. Based on the quotes from the movie I read on IMDB, it was a huge mismatch for both the Disney label and Disney+ even with censorship (the "s-word" remained uncensored because you can use that in PG-13). It should have been on Hulu as a 20th Century Studios release, in versions with the F-word censored (PG-13) and uncensored (R).

If Disney wanted to release a version of Hamilton under their main banner, they should have made a full-fledged adaptation that tones down the more explicit lyrics to a PG level, rather than filming performances of the unaltered Broadway musical and censoring some of the words.

Last edited:

PF9

I did say that POTC movies, which are PG-13, would still be under the Disney banner.

Most of the PG-13 fare released under WDP was not well-suited for that brand, and most of the non-POTC PG-13 movies were not box office successes. The only non-POTC PG-13 movie that was appropriate for the WDP brand was Saving Mr. Banks, which was about the making of Mary Poppins and even it was PG in many other countries including the UK.

Now that Disney has 20th Century Studios there's no excuse not to use it for PG-13 fare that isn't Marvel, Lucasfilm or POTC unless it's another Saving Mr. Banks situation (another movie about the history of Disney). 20th Century has had far more brand equity than Touchstone or Hollywood ever had. And many films from those brands, along with WDP's PG-13 fare except POTC and Saving Mr. Banks could easily be reissued under 20th Century Studios. Conversely, family-friendly fare from those brands could be reissued under the WDP name.

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
And just like that, Touchstone Television has came and went. Now it's ABC Signature and 20th Television.

superkeegan9100

YTPer, Cartoon Analyst, Artist
And just like that, Touchstone Television has came and went. Now it's ABC Signature and 20th Television.

What was the point of even changing the Fox21 name to Touchstone Television if they were just gonna kill it off?

PF9

Just use the Searchlight Television name for cable and streaming programs now.

ABC Signature would be used for ABC shows.

20th Television for shows on the other broadcast networks.

themidnightlore

That one that banters over Sony TV channels

Well, a Touchstone without it's iconic logo would be weird. But all of this for kill it in a bunch of months?
Also unrelated to the quoted post but still Disney-related.
Do you guy think that there could be a chance that Disney gives up their side of A+E Networks? AFAIK, in Europe is already only Hearst (minus where there were joint ventures (UK and Iberian region, with Sky and AMC Networks, respectively)). And, tbh, I don't think Disney cares that much for A&E, History and Lifetime.

SpongeBobFan2004

And it was a failure.....Disney doesn’t wanna care about the Touchstone brand anymore...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the greenman

Well, a Touchstone without it's iconic logo would be weird. But all of this for kill it in a bunch of months?
Also unrelated to the quoted post but still Disney-related.
Do you guy think that there could be a chance that Disney gives up their side of A+E Networks? AFAIK, in Europe is already only Hearst (minus where there were joint ventures (UK and Iberian region, with Sky and AMC Networks, respectively)). And, tbh, I don't think Disney cares that much for A&E, History and Lifetime.
I don't know why I always felt A&E was owned by WB. In fact, most of these could.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I wish a happy 50th birthday to Yuri Lowenthal. He's known for characters like Ben Tennyson (specifically as a teenager) from the Ben 10 franchise, Superman in Legion Of Superheroes, and Spiderman in the Superhero Squad Show online game and Spiderman PS4.
Today marks the 5th Year Anniversary of when the HD Version of Twilight Princess was released in North America. I wouldn't be surprised if it was brought over to the Switch as early as this year.
I'm really not sure how I feel about Paramount+.
So there's this magical fantasy land and all the people lived together in peace. But now they're all divided, until one heroine sets out to bring everyone together. What movie am I talking about?
youtube nickelodeon now streaming live: SpongeBob episodes , youtube NickRewind currently streaming iCarly iKiss and iThink They Kissed episodes,

Featured Posts