Disney Afternoon: An Oral History

Dudley

Staff member
I’ve finally gotten around to reading this article about the history of the Disney Afternoon and the start of Disney’s TV animation unit.
It is such a fun read. The anecdotes are hilarious, hearing the developments of these shows, and the many shows that didn’t get made is so fascinating!
I hope you all check this out!
Life is like a hurricane: An oral history of the Disney Afternoon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
So American children in the 80s didn't grow up with the classic Walt Disney cartoons? That's weird.

I love how DuckTales was based around the character of Launchpad :)

GizmoDuck got translated to "RoboDuck" in the Dutch version of DuckTales!
And Belgian state television called the Rescue Rangers "de Reddertjes" (=the Rescuers) on Teletext, if anyone still knows what that is.

I never noticed the difference in Launchpad's personality between DuckTales and Darkwing Duck.

Huh? "Dead Duck" isn't part of season 2, or is it?

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
So American children in the 80s didn't grow up with the classic Walt Disney cartoons? That's weird.
It was obscene how Disney hoarded the classic cartoons. You could only see them if your parents subscribed for The Disney Channel, which at that time was a premium service. And back in the 80's only really rich people subscribed to premium services. And it's not like the cartoons were great. But no kids ever really saw them except maybe twice a year when they'd do a compilation on The Wonderful World Of Disney. It was a dark time for Disney animation.

Toon4Thought

Giving a slightly closer look.
It was obscene how Disney hoarded the classic cartoons. You could only see them if your parents subscribed for The Disney Channel, which at that time was a premium service. And back in the 80's only really rich people subscribed to premium services. And it's not like the cartoons were great. But no kids ever really saw them except maybe twice a year when they'd do a compilation on The Wonderful World Of Disney. It was a dark time for Disney animation.
There was also the occasional VHS release, though most of them only had like 3 cartoons.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member

I love how DuckTales was based around the character of Launchpad :)

GizmoDuck got translated to "RoboDuck" in the Dutch version of DuckTales!
And Belgian state television called the Rescue Rangers "de Reddertjes" (=the Rescuers) on Teletext, if anyone still knows what that is.

I never noticed the difference in Launchpad's personality between DuckTales and Darkwing Duck.

Huh? "Dead Duck" isn't part of season 2, or is it?
I still haven't seen a lot of the older ones myself. I've only started seeing the old shorts in the past 10 years due to the old Treasury DVDs. As a little kid in the late 80s, Disney for me was only the Sunday TV movies. I had a lot more exposure to everything else. Then in the early 90s, Disney Afternoon was on TV, the Renaissance was in full effect, and my family got Disney Channel and went to Disney World, so 91 to 92 was like complete submersion for me. Even then I only saw a handful of the old movies (Peter Pan, 101 Dalmatians, Jungle Book, Robin Hood, Fox and the Hound) and I'd only catch glimpses of the shorts on Disney Channel with segments like Dtv.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TsWade2

What an interesting read. I would love to see Disney make a series of Mickey and the Space Pirates, but I understand why they have to reject that. I would love to see Disney revisit Maximum Horsepower.

Erased Paper

I have to correct some things:

Syfy can't count.

"Duane Casisi" Capizzi

"including one that's only been shown once" Actually, 'Hot Spells' remained in ABC's rotation for 1992-93, and the episode aired in The Disney Afternoon (syndication) several times... even when the show returned to that block in the 1996-97 season.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts