Disney Afternoon: An Oral History

• Enter to win two tickets to MIRAI plus Merch. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
Ratings
2,741 29
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
I’ve finally gotten around to reading this article about the history of the Disney Afternoon and the start of Disney’s TV animation unit.
It is such a fun read. The anecdotes are hilarious, hearing the developments of these shows, and the many shows that didn’t get made is so fascinating!
I hope you all check this out!
Life is like a hurricane: An oral history of the Disney Afternoon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Oct 22, 2012
Ratings
3,595 67 1
Belgium
So American children in the 80s didn't grow up with the classic Walt Disney cartoons? That's weird.

I love how DuckTales was based around the character of Launchpad :)

GizmoDuck got translated to "RoboDuck" in the Dutch version of DuckTales!
And Belgian state television called the Rescue Rangers "de Reddertjes" (=the Rescuers) on Teletext, if anyone still knows what that is.

I never noticed the difference in Launchpad's personality between DuckTales and Darkwing Duck.

Huh? "Dead Duck" isn't part of season 2, or is it?

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,755 7
Framingham, MA
So American children in the 80s didn't grow up with the classic Walt Disney cartoons? That's weird.
It was obscene how Disney hoarded the classic cartoons. You could only see them if your parents subscribed for The Disney Channel, which at that time was a premium service. And back in the 80's only really rich people subscribed to premium services. And it's not like the cartoons were great. But no kids ever really saw them except maybe twice a year when they'd do a compilation on The Wonderful World Of Disney. It was a dark time for Disney animation.

Toon4Thought

Giving a slightly closer look.
Sep 3, 2013
Ratings
2,883 41
It was obscene how Disney hoarded the classic cartoons. You could only see them if your parents subscribed for The Disney Channel, which at that time was a premium service. And back in the 80's only really rich people subscribed to premium services. And it's not like the cartoons were great. But no kids ever really saw them except maybe twice a year when they'd do a compilation on The Wonderful World Of Disney. It was a dark time for Disney animation.
There was also the occasional VHS release, though most of them only had like 3 cartoons.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
Ratings
2,474 4
177A Bleecker Street

I love how DuckTales was based around the character of Launchpad :)

GizmoDuck got translated to "RoboDuck" in the Dutch version of DuckTales!
And Belgian state television called the Rescue Rangers "de Reddertjes" (=the Rescuers) on Teletext, if anyone still knows what that is.

I never noticed the difference in Launchpad's personality between DuckTales and Darkwing Duck.

Huh? "Dead Duck" isn't part of season 2, or is it?
I still haven't seen a lot of the older ones myself. I've only started seeing the old shorts in the past 10 years due to the old Treasury DVDs. As a little kid in the late 80s, Disney for me was only the Sunday TV movies. I had a lot more exposure to everything else. Then in the early 90s, Disney Afternoon was on TV, the Renaissance was in full effect, and my family got Disney Channel and went to Disney World, so 91 to 92 was like complete submersion for me. Even then I only saw a handful of the old movies (Peter Pan, 101 Dalmatians, Jungle Book, Robin Hood, Fox and the Hound) and I'd only catch glimpses of the shorts on Disney Channel with segments like Dtv.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TsWade2

Apr 5, 2015
Ratings
308 5
What an interesting read. I would love to see Disney make a series of Mickey and the Space Pirates, but I understand why they have to reject that. I would love to see Disney revisit Maximum Horsepower.

Jan 17, 2005
Ratings
32 2
In the refuge
z7.invisionfree.com
I have to correct some things:

Syfy can't count.

"Duane Casisi" Capizzi

"including one that's only been shown once" Actually, 'Hot Spells' remained in ABC's rotation for 1992-93, and the episode aired in The Disney Afternoon (syndication) several times... even when the show returned to that block in the 1996-97 season.