Discovery to take full control and rebrand Hub channel

gmster

The long-rumored takeover and rebranding of the children’s network is about to take place, The Wall Street Journal reports. Discovery would acquire some of Hasbro’s share in the struggling joint venture — but still leave the toymaker with a sizable stake — and then likely rename it Discovery Family. It would target parents as well as kids, and still enable Hasbro to program the channel from 9 AM to 3 PM.
https://deadline.com/2014/09/discovery-run-rebrand-hub-835759/

Mandouga

Well, as the old saying goes: "There goes the neighborhood".

In all seriousness though, I don't like the ramifications of this; ramifications that I've brought up in the past, so I'll just leave it at that.

Trombone77

I was actually thinking what Hub would do if Hasbro's stake in it decreased or was overtaken by Hasbro. While it seems as though it could lose a little bit of the fun that Hub started with, I look forward to seeing what Discovery plans to make of it. I hope that not only the programs that made Hub stay on it, but that more original programming (scripted preferably) comes to the network. However, I am wondering if it will be like Discovery Familia, which airs preschooler programming during the day and light reality shows and programming at night.

Goldstar Neo

Good Morning!
Well, this is unexpected. I can't say that I'm sad to read this news, seeing as how the only shows that I'm currently watching on The Hub (Now that The Aquabats Super Show! was given the boot) are My Littlle Pony: Friendship is Magic and Littlest Pet Shop, and even then, that's only when it's a new episode. However, if a re-braning means that the channel will finally get some decent programming at night and offer more than just forgettable family movies and nostalgic family sitcoms, then I'm all for it. I just really hope that Discovery Family won't go the reality TV route the way that A&E, TLC, ABC Family and Syfy have.

Mandouga

I should also mention that most of the Deadline article is speculation, but still should be "taken with a grain of salt" as they say.

Goldstar Neo

Good Morning!
If the article is accurate, then this means that Hasbro will be in control of the channel from 8 AM to 3 PM, so the daytime schedule will likely remain the same, for the most part. I've been saying that the channel needs to expand it's horizons beyond ponies, pets and nostalgia. Perhaps this could lead to a better lineup with some more potential breakout hits which don't have the word "pony" in the title. Of course, that's being optimistic.

Silverstar

Rock the Dragon
Eh, it was to be expected. The channel was hemorrhaging money, and yes, the kids' entertainment market is indeed crowded right now with the Big Three (Nickelodeon, Disney Channel and Cartoon Network) but they still could've managed to cut a swath or at least carved a niche for themselves had they not chosen to rely solely on My Little Pony and 80's nostalgia to carry them along. Hasbro really needed to step out of its' comfort zone and step their game up with new, innovative and original programming that appealed to more people than just Pony fans and broadcast network sitcom enthusiasts. A breakout cross-culture hit like a Mighty Morphin Power Rangers or a Pee-Wee's Playhouse or some quality original productions like the Nicktoons or the Cartoon-Cartoons would have truly helped The Hub, had they dared to try anything like that. It's truly a shame: The Hub was more diverse and offered more of a variety when it launched 4 years ago.

Oh, well, according to that article, Hasbro is likely to keep hold of the channel's daytime schedule. If Hasbro wasn't able or willing to put anything original or high-quality on during the prime time (the hours that make or break a channel) then they really don't need to retain control beyond that. I just hope the rebranded channel has more to offer in prime time besides just 2 steps above public access shows like Kid President and Parents Just Don't Understand and old domcoms. They never should have dropped Dan VS or The Aquabats' Super Show!. Hopefully we'll get more scripted shows instead of this channel becoming yet another reality show dumping ground.

aegisrawks

This is so very sad. I know the channel was nothing but MLP at this point but DANG. I was hoping more upcoming varied programming could save it.

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
Is Transformers (of the non-Rescue Bots variety) really a 9AM-3PM show in 2014? Wasn't Prime given, uh, a prime time slot?

I think this is bad news. Hasbro Studios were carrying much of the channel's original productions and now that they're divesting in the network, I wouldn't expect Discovery to pick up the slack. After all, they kind of let Discovery Kids die well before The Hub came on the scene.

Pac-Attack

Meh, they can do whatever they want, I never really cared for The Hub much in the first place.

JoeMabbon

Air Commander
Is Transformers (of the non-Rescue Bots variety) really a 9AM-3PM show in 2014? Wasn't Prime given, uh, a prime time slot?

The next show is supposed to be lighter and more kid-friendly than Prime so that probably won't be an issue.

I guess we should have expected this after 2013's mass cancellations and Hasbro Studio's silence on the tv front.

S

ShimmeringBeauty

Wow, I didn't expect this!

I do have a lot of great memories of this network. Heck, on my recent vacation to California, I watched some of it on the plane ride there because JetBlue now allows you to watch ANY CHANNEL on their new planes! (I LOVED one of the parts of the My Little Pony episode they showed, which was Bridle Gossip: "She's an evil enchantress, she does evil dances...SOOOOO WATCH OUT!")

I hope the new network is like Fox Family (which I was too young to remember,but my sister claims we did see Mumfie on there) and I hope they return Ready Set Learn! I'd love it if Magic Adventures of Mumfie aired on the new network. Oh, how I LOVE THAT SHOW! It's supposed to be for toddlers, but it appeals to all ages. I've heard that there's a season 4 in the works of Mumfie, so maybe either the rebranded Boomerang's preschool block, Sprout, or this new channel will air the new season of Mumfie. I would also love to see some retro children's shows from old Discovery Kids, like The Big Garage (It does air on Smile of a Child, but I only get TBN. Also, I tried watching an episode on YouTube, but those puppets were a bit ugly and weird, but hey, it was made in the 90's! However, the voice acting was good from the three or two minutes I saw.), Salty's Lighthouse, Skinnamarink TV, Zoobilee Zoo, Peep, Wilbur, and The Magic Schoolbus!

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Part of me is disappointed. The Hub had so much potential.

OTOH, the only show I currently watch is Rescue Bots, so I don't have much to lose.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
I hope LPS gets a decent ending before it gets the boot. I definitely know MLP will survive long enough to get one...

The only show I really, really miss at this point.., Is Dan Vs, honestly!

Overall, there is no good coming out of this, IMHO!

Gear3dGryph0n

Copied from a post on MLP Forums:

I knew Hasbro's expectations for the Hub's performance were unrealistically high from the start. After launch, they said that their goal was to become "half as big as Cartoon Network" in 5 years.

This is obviously not the case, and this is because Hasbro has failed on multiple fronts. They failed to adequately promote the network on a large scale since its launch, and they failed to distribute it wide enough where it would be on a level ground with Nick, Disney, and CN. Additionally, they expected to be able to do this with a relatively weak lineup. Besides the success of MLP and the moderate success of LPS, they tried to help themselves with only a short slate of original programming, most of it based on established franchises, while pinning the rest of their hopes on a full slate of reruns and imports. In the mature industry of today as opposed to the past, with all the competition, reruns and imports won't really do you the best.

Discord - Surely you saw this coming!? - YouTube

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
To answer Discord... From a mile away, m8 - now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to watch something else; can't live on the pony show or the pet shop show alone... Peace.

Dudley

Staff member
According to this article, things weren't just working out in in a changing landscape, and due to lack of sponsors. I read once that other toy companies won't even place ads on the channel.
So I'm not the least bit surprise that this little endeavor failed. A channel run by a toy company featuring shows based on toys seemed like a bad idea from the start. They're goal was to compete with Disney Channel and Cartoon Network, when I doubt they were able to take on the competitors on their own level: Disney XD and Nicktoons.
Also, the only shows that I watched on the channel were acquired programming that left or put in inconvenient time slots (the DCAU shows, Tiny Toons, Animaniacs), or were original shows that ended (TF Prime, Kaijudo). This isn't a loss for me in any way.
And frankly it's not a loss for anyone. Discovery is doing this because they aren't making as much money from the Hub as Hasbro was. Hasbro owns the rights to all of their cartoons, and Hasbro gets to shop those shows around to networks all over the world, not to mention it's streaming deal with Netflix. What little money Discovery was making off of this was through ads, which they had to share with Hasbro.
Everyone's beloved shows from the network (namely LPS, and MLP:FIM) will still air in Hasbro's reduced time slot, and will later be available on Netflix. Whether they'll find homes on another US station is another matter.
Maybe in the end, Habro will do what Mattel does and just make short form animated content for the web. That is where kids are watching their shows now.

Silverstar

Rock the Dragon
I knew Hasbro's expectations for the Hub's performance were unrealistically high from the start. After launch, they said that their goal was to become "half as big as Cartoon Network" in 5 years.

This is obviously not the case, and this is because Hasbro has failed on multiple fronts. They failed to adequately promote the network on a large scale since its launch, and they failed to distribute it wide enough where it would be on a level ground with Nick, Disney, and CN. Additionally, they expected to be able to do this with a relatively weak lineup. Besides the success of MLP and the moderate success of LPS, they tried to help themselves with only a short slate of original programming, most of it based on established franchises, while pinning the rest of their hopes on a full slate of reruns and imports. In the mature industry of today as opposed to the past, with all the competition, reruns and imports won't really do you the best.

Quoted for truth, and to paraphrase Yoda, this is why Hub failed. They expected MLP, LPS and nostalgia to carry the entire network, which was a HUGE mistake, and they let their few first-run productions like Dan VS and Aquabats slip through their fingers in favor of the more "cost efficient" reruns and imports, another huge mistake. News flash, Hasbro: it's not the 1980's-1990's anymore; a channel that consists mostly of repeats isn't going to cut the mustard in today's cutthroat industry. Here's hoping the new management realizes that a network can't feed and clothe itself on nostalgia and just 1 or 2 new shows, though honestly I'm not getting a savior vibe from Discovery, after all they're the ones who allowed Discovery Kids go to turd in the first place. I cringe at the thought of this network becoming another TLC.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy Birthday, Justin Felbinger
How come nobody made SpongeBob talk back? It's currently airing new episodes every Fridays
Since I'm in New Hampshire, there's snow outside today.
kecskezombi01 wrote on KristofLaci991130's profile.
Hello, here. Are you living in a Hungarian city?

Featured Posts