Discovery Inc. Announces The Global Launch of Discovery+ Streaming Service, Coming in January 2021

lowell

Discovery Inc. today announced they will launch their own streaming service Discovery+ next month on January 4th, 2021 and that Verizon customers will get the first 12 months of subscription free of charge:

Here is their first slate of original content for the service:

They also just recently finished their acquisition of Mediaworks in New Zealand as well (which includes joint ownership of the NZ version of Bravo with Comcast's NBCUniversal):

Last edited:

JaredCap43™

Forever, Fight as One!
Will there be any Children's content on it? Doki's third season still hasn't been aired or released in the US (except maybe in Spanish on Discovery Familia), and Qubo is taking it off in a few days. There are also some Discovery Kids shows stuck in the vaults such as Paz.

lowell

Will there be any Children's content on it? Doki's third season still hasn't been aired or released in the US (except maybe in Spanish on Discovery Familia), and Qubo is taking it off in a few days. There are also some Discovery Kids shows stuck in the vaults such as Paz.
I'm not sure about that. They've mostly stated stuff from the other channels, BBC, Group Nine, and A&E Networks content partnership (includes content from A&E, History, and Lifetime). Maybe some details will need to be worked out with Hasbro as they are a part-owner of the channel. Discovery Kids-era content will probably get on there as there's no tie-up on that due to Hasbro not having a stake in the channel yet but The Hub-era and current shows might need some agreement or something.

Light Lucario

Staff member
It's so strange that this is at least the second streaming service to use + after Disney+. It made sense with what Disney was going for in their streaming service, but multiple other companies using it just comes off as desperation to attract more attention.

JMTV Studios

Okay, I have some major problems with this.

1. Discovery+? Yeah, so "original"/s. That name is about as a classic as Paramount+. Seriously, the HBO Max name is much better than this. Hell, at least Disney Plus makes much more sense than this because Disney is the most recognizable name than Discovery ever could.

2. If this service doesn't have any Hub Network shows, I'm 100% not interested. I don't give a crap about ANY Discovery shows on ANY respective channels they had to spew in our faces(with the exception of How it's Made). The ONLY thing that I do care about is their children's content. That's it. The Hub Network is one of the best thing that Discovery has to offer. Now, it doesn't exist anymore. And the fact that Discovery Family lasted longer than The Hub is absolutely disgusting to me. If Discovery Plus can have old Hub Network shows and some Discovery Kids shows on there that was NOT MLP related, then okay, I'll give them credit for trying. But that still doesn't mean I'm gonna get it though. I'm still not interested in it because....

3. Their exclusive content on Discovery Plus , for what I've read, are NOT. INTRESTING. IN. THE. SLIGHTEST!!! Say what will about Disney Plus and HBO Max's exclusive content, at least with The Mandalorian and Looney Tunes Cartoons are huge success for them. Even if you didn't like their exclusive content in both respective services, but at least they had something for everyone. This? This is just...sad. Both sad AND pathetic. You know what? Here's my hot take on this: Those upcoming shows on Discovery Plus are gonna be as top-tier quality as Quibi shows, and that's not a good thing.

Honestly, from the looks of this, I'm not that excited. Not because they didn't have any Hub Network shows on there. That's the least of my problems. The main problem I have with this is...well let's be honest, IT'S FREAKING DISCOVERY!! They don't care about educational shows. They don't care about learning stuff. All they care about is reality TV junk that pander to the lowest common denominator. If they care about a show about a family with 19 kids, they're perfectly okay with it. If they care about a show featuring minors wearing disgusting outfits that they're mommies being forced to in a beauty pageant, they're perfectly okay with it. If they care about a show featuring a Redneck family going into some wacky shenanigans that were absolutely repulsive, they're perfectly okay with it.

Screw cartoons. Screw educational. Reality TV junk is all they care about in Discovery's name, am I right? NOT!!

(sighs) Hub Network is rolling it's grave. :(

Okay, I'm done ranting. At this point, I'm sticking with Disney Plus, HBO Max, Hulu, Netflix, and Boomerang. At least they something to offer unlike....whatever Discovery puts out now...

LinusFan303

A fan of Peanuts in their 70th year

Fun fact there's also an AMC Plus (for the AMC networks)

I do like the logo it's pretty nice, there's really not much of interest to me for the service, I only really watch Science Channel and Travel Channel from Discovery and, even on the A&E networks side, I really only watch Lifetime for King of Queens reruns. I would be interested maybe if it had some Discovery archives of science and history programming or something.

JaredCap43™

Forever, Fight as One!

Fun fact there's also an AMC Plus (for the AMC networks)

I do like the logo it's pretty nice, there's really not much of interest to me for the service, I only really watch Science Channel and Travel Channel from Discovery and, even on the A&E networks side, I really only watch Lifetime for King of Queens reruns. I would be interested maybe if it had some Discovery archives of science and history programming or something.
The logo reminds me of the 1982 Central logo.

Mostezli

Not 4 Everyone & That's OK
It's so strange that this is at least the second streaming service to use + after Disney+. It made sense with what Disney was going for in their streaming service, but multiple other companies using it just comes off as desperation to attract more attention.
Each one cheaper than the last. Ad-less streaming for the same cost of Disney+

Last edited:

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
It seems like a good service with global expansion. Logo does remind of a 80s/90s channel. "+" is in the name to sound better, offering something more, similarly to "x".

SpongeBobFan2004

Probably in Latin America (& Brazil), where we have a PROFITABLE version of Discovery Kids since DOKI has been its mascot since he was created in 2005. (at that time DK LA & BR was mostly preschool focused but they have moved on from that) Since Discovery+ LA & BR will have DK content but however the channel is trying to hide from the American channel's past......since their programming nowadays is mostly acquired stuff. Discovery Latin America (which is based in Miami, FL) will have to wait for the actual launch date for Discovery+ in that region.

JMTV Studios

Honestly, I had really strong feeling that most of The Hub Network programming from 2010-2014 are NOT gonna be on Discovery Plus when it comes out anytime soon. I'll be really sad if those shows become lost media at this point.

Granted, they're some shows from The Hub that were on other streaming services like MLP G4 on Netflix, but that's just the exception rarther than the rule.

How to Make Money as a Kid 2

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

CNC
Here's another weekly ideal CN schedule I made, for next week. No longer a "snooze button" all week long.

"There's no such thing as a perfect episode."

[Rewatches Bunny Raven]

"Nevermind."
Joachim Horseley, who did the music for Batman: Soul Of The Dragon, also does the music for Big City Greens.
my bad news: my laptop backspace key is not working... rest other keys in keyboard work fine

Still wish for keyboard backspace to be fixed..
I asked a basic yes or no question about Star Vs. Months ago, and these are the responses I get. Slander.

Featured Posts