Did you guys like the realistic tone of "Unbreakable,"(basically a superhero movie.)

N

NewMaxFranklin

A lot of people didn't seem to like the movie. I liked it quite a bit. Especially, the way they handled a superhero concept realistically. Would you guy's like to see this sort of tone in a movie like Spideman?

I, personally, think a very realistic treatment of Green Lantern would be excellent. While the environments in the Batman and X-Men movies are very stylized and movie-like, I believe that a realistic treatment of New York life would add a lot to a GL movie. It should make the cool, super-power stuff really stand out by comparison. Thoughts?

Flying Grayson

Quis custodiet ipsos custodiet
Well a GL movie would be gould, but which Lantern would it be.
The old and original Alan Scot
The famous Hal Jordan
or
The Rookie, who is begining to really pull it together
Kyle Rayner.

Well I don't know much about Alan(it was before my time)
But with Hal, you can pull the whole Parallex thing and his snapping after Coast City.
And with Kyle, you have an immaginative Lantern, with the most powerful ring yet.

M

mxyzptlk

i liked this movie i thought it was a very good movie and i can not wait till it comes out on vhs. cause i was not blessed with the luck ofoning a dvd player for now that is. i liked how they put a normal guy as the superhero. and i also liked how his powers were not like really powerful it was like when superman had lost the majority of is power and he was just a little stronger than a normal guy.

Calhoun07

It's Me
I think Unbreakable was MUCH better than Sixth Sense. You watch Sixth Sense twice or three times, and that's about it, you already know what there is to know about the movie. The surprise ending only works once, and after that it's only a matter of watching for the clues you missed the first time.

With Unbreakable, I think the movie had more substance and therefore worthy of more repeat viewings. I will be buying this on DVD and I will watch it more often than the Sixth Sense, too.

As far as the realistic tone, I enjoyed it in this movie, but I don't think I would want to see this in other movies, especially a Spider Man or a Batman movie. Those movies need to have a different tone. What I really want to see is the next two movies M Night had in plans in the Unbreakable trilogy that he wanted to make. I don't know if he's going to get the green light to do that now since the movie didn't do so good at the box office, but I hope he negotiates a deal to make two more Unbreakable movies so we can see where he was going with this.

M

mxyzptlk

i hated sixth sense but i liked unbreakable and alot of people say that is wierd

Vigo Sprax

I also didn't like Sixth Sense much (Though I have Andy Richter, from back when he was on Late Night with Conan, for ruining the surprise!) but I really liked Unbreakable. In the middle of the film my brother-in-law leans over though and goes "are you bored?", but then again him and my sister have crap taste in movies.

I may pick up Unbreakable on DVD if I find it at a nice price, I'd rate it the 2nd best DVD release this week (First being Dogma).

M

mxyzptlk

dogma was good but i thought unbreakable was a bit better

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I liked this movie a great deal, and can't wait to get the DVD. The DVD may be a bit skimpy for a 2 disc set (no trailers - ARGH!) but it is definatly a good pick up. I found it more entertaining than SIXTH SENSE, also. The novelty of that movie can last only so long. As for the tone, I like how they made heroes realistic, but this can't work in movies that feature "real" heroes, like Batman. It just wouldn't work. Those kinda movies are meant to be bigger than life.

joker

Rock N' Roll Heart
i loved this movie, i thought sam jackson did a supurb job at playing the odd mentor. he was great. willis also did a great job. i loved this movie. i hope the trilogy does work out.

N

NewMaxFranklin

Originally posted by DickGrayson
I like how they made heroes realistic, but this can't work in movies that feature "real" heroes, like Batman. It just wouldn't work. Those kinda movies are meant to be bigger than life.

I disagree. I think the "bigger is better" mentality is what's ruining a lot of movies these days. Can you imagine if the ghosts in "The Sixth Sense" were all specter-like and flew around and stuff. It would have been to-much, over the top and not as scary.

Without a realistic, believable, world as a backdrop superhero movies can't have much impact. What makes Spiderman, Batman and the rest "super" is the way they contrast the normalcy of their surroundings.

If the world created, is "bigger than life," than the superhero's have to bigger than bigger than life, which, I think, works against characters like Batman.

Filmakers don't seem to have much faith in their audience and get carried away with action movies. They try, in vain, to make everything thrilling.

In Die Hard everyone behaves normally, until the terrorist take the building. Then, when they run around sooting security guards and hurding up the staff, we're caught up in the frenzy.

Lesser films try to keep up that intensity for the whole movie. Which is impossible. The audience either becomes acclimated to the action or weary from it.

Vigo Sprax

Unbreakable on DVD

So what does everyone think about the Unbreakable DVD (Sounds like some infomercial product) now that its out? I'm on my wa to Costco to take a look, is it worth it?

Calhoun07

It's Me
Re: Unbreakable on DVD

Originally posted by Vigo Sprax
So what does everyone think about the Unbreakable DVD (Sounds like some infomercial product) now that its out? I'm on my wa to Costco to take a look, is it worth it?

Good, but I wish it had more! There are no bonus features on the movie disc, and a documentary about comics and superheroes on disc two, a behind the scenes look, a story boarded sequence, deleted scenes (some of which are pretty cool), and I think that's it. Oh, and a snippet of a short film Night made when he was a teenager. I think the total time on all the supplements on disc two is about ninety minutes, which I would have thought they could have fit on to disc one, so it struck me that a two disc set was unnecessary, but it only cost about 20 bucks so who cares? I watched everything on the disc yesterday. Unfortunately, I was unable to uncover any easter eggs, and I get the feeling there might be one or two on there. There was one on the Sixth Sense DVD, so I am thinking Night might be the kind of director that likes to put easter eggs on his DVDs.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts