Did The Jungle Movie and NickSplat not move the needle at all?

SG-17

As far as I can find there is no news about a season 6 of Hey Arnold despite the movie doing well, T90AAT/Splat was some of Nick's highest ratings in years yet they've put the block on autopilot, Static Cling has been sitting on the shelf since February, there has been no news on the Invader Zim movie, the talk of Klasky Csupo working with Nick again dried up.

So what's going on? There was a push there for a few years for Nick to make a revival but they either seem unwilling or unable. Or maybe they just can't afford it?

OmegaAlpha23

Banned
Nickelodeon hinted at a Season 6 of Hey Arnold back in March, announced a Clarissa reboot was in development, I remember something was said in December they were working out a deal to bring Rugrats back, more merchandise is being cranked out and they announced a Double Dare revival just last month, so I think that Hey Arnold and Legends were successes in some ways for the revivals to continue. But, Hey Arnold and Legends did lower than expected. While neither were failures, they didn't crack over 1.5 million (Legends cracked 1.5 million) which is the standard for cable these days. I said it before, and the real reason why Hey Arnold didn't do as well as we wanted it to do because it was too much of the same. They were some differences, but it was mostly the same show from the 90s and didn't really spruce it up. Most revivals that are like the originals as we know don't stay the course. As much as critics like to rag on them for changing, the reason why Teen Titans Go did so well was because they changed to distance itself from the original series and did something new. It may have not been for the best, but it's why it was a successe and stayed on for as long as it has. It's also a different era, Teen Titans Go changed the standard and shows have been more wacky and loud since it became popular. Hey Arnold's subtle 90s resonance doesn't work in the 2010s.

Last edited:

SG-17

Didn't know about Double Dare and Clarissa, that's good news. I think the problem with Legends was that no one wanted that, we want the game show back. I think what hurt Hey Arnold in ratings was it coming out on the Nick website a few hours before the TV premier. I'd love to see what the digital and DVD sales are for it.

Rabbitearsblog

Nickelodeon hinted at a Season 6 of Hey Arnold back in March, announced a Clarissa reboot was in development, I remember something was said in December they were working out a deal to bring Rugrats back, more merchandise is being cranked out and they announced a Double Dare revival just last month, so I think that Hey Arnold and Legends were successes in some ways for the revivals to continue. But, Hey Arnold and Legends did lower than expected. While neither were failures, they didn't crack over 1.5 million (Legends cracked 1.5 million) which is the standard for cable these days. I said it before, and the real reason why Hey Arnold didn't do as well as we wanted it to do because it was too much of the same. They were some differences, but it was mostly the same show from the 90s and didn't really spruce it up. Most revivals that are like the originals as we know don't stay the course. As much as critics like to rag on them for changing, the reason why Teen Titans Go and Family Guy did so well was because they changed to distance themselves from the original series and did something new. It may have not been for the best, but it's why they were successes and stayed on for as long as they have. It's also a different era, Family Guy changed the standard and shows have been more wacky and loud since it became popular. Hey Arnold's subtle 90s resonance doesn't work in the 2010s.

Did Nickelodeon mention about any other Nicktoons getting revivals, like The Angry Beavers, Doug, Aaah! Real Monsters, Rocket Power, any other ones?

superkeegan9100

YTPer, Cartoon Analyst, Artist
At this point, Nickelodeon wants to play it safe and stay away from the reboot business for a while. Besides the Blue’s Clues reboot coming soon, no other reboots are being announced/produced.

OmegaAlpha23

Banned
At this point, Nickelodeon wants to play it safe and stay away from the reboot business for a while. Besides the Blue’s Clues reboot coming soon, no other reboots are being announced/produced.
Did Nickelodeon mention about any other Nicktoons getting revivals, like The Angry Beavers, Doug, Aaah! Real Monsters, Rocket Power, any other ones?
Chris Viscardi did reveal that there was more revivals of shows in the works that he can't talk about, there was talk of a Rugrats revival in December, a month after The Jungle Movie premiered and a Clarissa reboot is in development. That's not true either, because Nickelodeon ordered 40 new episodes of Double Dare and a deal is being worked out for a Clarissa reboot. Also, Klasky Csupo have revealed to someone via their Splaat character (Arlene Klasky communicates with fans under that pseudonym) page that they visited Nickelodeon Animation Studios lately. http://nickalive.blogspot.com.au/2017/06/chris-viscardi-reveals-there-are-more.html https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...elissa-joan-hart-works-at-nickelodeon-1094940 https://geeks.media/negotiations-ar...rugrats-and-it-may-be-the-real-deal-this-time

Last edited:

SG-17

I just hope that if they do bring back Rugrats they do something like Fuller House or the proposed Clarissa revival and make the babies the adults. Rugrats followed the aging of a lot of its fans pretty well, so they'd all be 26-30 years old now and maybe have kids of their own.

I only really liked the show up through the first movie, the Dil seasons are meh at best and the Kimi seasons are downright bad, but I did enjoy All Grown Up.

jjc927

As far as I can find there is no news about a season 6 of Hey Arnold despite the movie doing well, T90AAT/Splat was some of Nick's highest ratings in years yet they've put the block on autopilot, Static Cling has been sitting on the shelf since February, there has been no news on the Invader Zim movie, the talk of Klasky Csupo working with Nick again dried up.

So what's going on? There was a push there for a few years for Nick to make a revival but they either seem unwilling or unable. Or maybe they just can't afford it?
90s Are All That and Splat did not get Nick's highest ratings. They initially received high ratings compared to what was on in their timeslots prior, but it was low compared to new broadcasts on the main channel because of the late hours and TeenNick not being available in a high amount of households. The Jungle Movie had good ratings for modern cable, but not spectacular enough for Nick to sign up for a new series right away.

The current word on a season 6 of Hey Arnold is that the cast and crew are on board and Craig Bartlett has an outline for the season submitted, and it's up for Nick to decide to order it. With Double Dare being definite and a Clarissa Explains it All reboot in the works, perhaps Hey Arnold season 6 could be next. Animation is much more expensive than live action though, so Nick will have to really believe it will do well with the target demo as well as the nostalgia audience to give it the go-ahead.

OmegaAlpha23

Banned
upload_2018-5-22_20-3-14.png

A Rugrats reboot is still very much in the cards. So no, talks haven't dried up.

Toon4Thought

Giving a slightly closer look.
Frankly, Rugrats is like the Nicktoon that needs a revival the least. It ran for well over a decade - what more do you need?

Action!

There is still fan interest for a Rugrats reboot. Heck, I’m still interested in a reboot.

Toon4Thought

There is still fan interest for a Rugrats reboot. Heck, I’m still interested in a reboot.
But why? Again, it had a very lengthy run and did basically all it could do. I get that we live in an age where everything has to be revived, but I find something like Hey Arnold merits it so much more than Rugrats did.

Action!

But why? Again, it had a very lengthy run and did basically all it could do. I get that we live in an age where everything has to be revived, but I find something like Hey Arnold merits it so much more than Rugrats did.
I think it is because Rugrats was the #1 popular show on Nickelodeon back in the 90s and the show was their childhood. Fans seriously want more Rugrats.

OmegaAlpha23

Banned

IMO, I believe Rugrats has gone on long enough. It had 9 seasons, 172 episodes, three movies, and a spin-off.
They made Peanuts cartoons for decades and the characters have translated into each generation just fine. If they can make Peanuts cartoons today, I don't see why they can't do the same with Rugrats.

Toon4Thought

They made Peanuts cartoons for decades and the characters have translated into each generation just fine. If they can make Peanuts cartoons today, I don't see why they can't do the same with Rugrats.
Here's the thing - most of Peanuts' animated lifespan was sporadic TV specials. There were still a lot of them, sure, but that's still far less material than Rugrats ever had.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts