Did Pixar wait too long to start making sequels?

• Enter to win two tickets to MIRAI plus Merch. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

wonderfly

Shaking things up a bit
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Ratings
937 16
Springfield, MO
Did Pixar wait too long to start making sequels?

Besides "Cars 2", that is. And the Toy Story franchise (by releasing "Toy Story 2" just a few years after the original "Toy Story", it doesn't fit into the pattern I'm talking about here).

But over a decade passed between the release of "Monsters Inc" and "Monsters University". Same with "Finding Nemo" and "Finding Dory", and now "Incredibles" and "Incredibles 2".

"Incredibles 2" picks up right where the first Incredibles left off. Sorry, but kids who went to watch "Incredibles" in theaters are now graduating from college. "Finding Dory" likewise picks up just a short time after "Finding Nemo".

Why didn't we get sequels back in the 2000's, or an animated TV series? (like "Buzz Lightyear of Star Command"?). I know the answer is "because Pixar doesn't make cheap sequels!" but by waiting so long, I just can't shake the feeling that there's an enormous disconnect, a generational divide between the 2000's Pixar and the 2010's Pixar....

Yeah, "Finding Dory" and "Incredibles 2" did great at the box office, but I think that's nostalgia - parents taking their kids to the sequels (strangely enough, Monsters University didn't do as well - maybe nostalgia hadn't kicked in yet, back in 2013)....

...But I believe the stories in those sequels aren't as strong as the originals, and so in a few years, people will still be thinking more of the original film from the 2000's, and the sequel from the 2010's will be an afterthought. And if the sequel was going to be an afterthought all along, they should've just pumped it out quickly back in the 2000's.

Last edited:

superkeegan9100

YTPer, Cartoon analyst, PPG artist.
Jan 10, 2015
Ratings
7,476 89
Raleigh, North Carolina
www.youtube.com
Do you really think it takes over 10 years to make a movie?
Well in Finding Nemo's case, Disney was trying to split off from Pixar so they had to make one in a separate animation studio, which proved to be short lived because they actually purchased Pixar a year later.

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
Ratings
2,741 29
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
Do you really think it takes over 10 years to make a movie?
Movies can go in and out of development for years, especially in animation. Tangled is a good example.
In the case of Incredibles 2, Brad Bird just waited till he came up with a story that was good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
I haven't seen these sequels yet, but I don't know if jumping on making sequels right away would have been necessarily a good idea either. That could make the movies feel more rushed and it could have made them not too different from Disney in regards to turning out sequels in the hope of getting more money. I don't know if there was a lot of nostalgia for Finding Dory, but I'm sure that was a factor for the Incredibles 2, especially when people wanted a sequel to that movie for years.

Although, Monsters University was a prequel instead of a sequel. That is a pretty big difference and that could explain why it wasn't a huge box office success. Finding Dory and The Incredibles 2 continued the storyline, while Monsters University just explained how Mike and Sully became friends. It was still a fun movie, but I don't think it was needed and people would have preferred a direct sequel instead.

jaylop97

Staff member
Oct 5, 2014
Ratings
5,300 36
Austin, Texas
The Cars series is the only series that had had sequels fairly close to each other, and for the most part it's not the most memorable franchise in Pixar, compared to Toy Story and The Incredibles.

Toy Story did really well with its sequel in a matter of years, and managed to show how it was capable of seeing a third movie a decade after the second one and still managed to hold the magic the previous movies had, even though by then Toys weren't as popular as they were back in the 90s, even after many years it was capable of being a well recieve movie.

Most fans are very patient and the patience pays off with how long they take into waiting for another movie, as such the quality is good during after all that wait in most movies.

wonderfly

Shaking things up a bit
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Ratings
937 16
Springfield, MO
Pixar handled well the gap between Toy Story 2 and Toy Story 3, because Toy Story 3 did what the other sequels we're discussing here didn't do: It addressed the issue of the passage of time. Kids that went to theaters in 1995 to see the original Toy Story could now be in college in 2010 and enjoy "Toy Story 3", because the characters had grown up as well.

Not like "Incredibles 2", wherein 14 years have passed, and the baby is still a baby!

The Cars franchise also handled the passage of time well (with Cars 3, with Lightning McQueen getting older). Plus, we had the "Mater's Tall Tales" DVD between Cars 1 and 2, and the "Planes" movies (which wasn't a Pixar thing, but they felt connected), it all had the impact of making it feel like every couple of years we were getting new "Cars" material.

Just look at Dreamworks - Shrek came out in 2001, Shrek 2 in 2004, Shrek 3 in 2007, Shrek 4 in 2010. Also, the Madagascar/Penguins movies and the "How to Train Your Dragon" movies. And look at Blue Sky Studios with the Ice Age franchise, and Illumination Studios with the Despicable Me/Minions franchise.

Why did these films all get steady sequels, and Pixar waited a decade for Finding Dory and Incredibles 2?!?

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
Ratings
2,741 29
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
You shouldn’t expect all studios to produce content the same way.
Some studios will prioritize sequels over others. The Pixar brand, for example is strong. Almost every movie they made, sequel or otherwise, performs well at the box office. That trust in the brand allows them to be less reliant on sequels or making franchise films.
Other studios don’t have that kind of track record, and are less willing to take risks. That’s why they insist on making sequels as frequently as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

I was just about to say "Where's Gridman?" on that Crunchyroll streaming thread.
DISH had recent upgrades on the 61.5 orbital slot this early morning. My signal strengths got increased and transponders were moved to another.

How Cartoon Network and TBS moved to other transponders. :P
What I love from the commercial studio Psyop, is the Cricket Wireless critters (known as the Cricketters) in different shapes and colored in Green, Yellow and Blue. So imaginative and cute! :)
Most Europeans here don't know about the old Grinch Christmas special. Even in Portugal.
When Is the Nickelodeon Highlights usually up for December? I Was just wondering...