Did Disney Channel have too much creative control over its mid-late 2000s cartoons?

Latest News & Videos

TheMisterManGuy

Oct 23, 2014
Disney Channel and Animation have always had a rocky history. A strange irony considering Disney is arguably the most iconic name in animation. While the channel has improved the quality of its recent animated series, the network's success was always the strength of its live action shows. The network did try to increase its focus on Animation in the mid-2000s to compete with Nick and CN, but many of these shows were either short lived or poorly received.

I think the problem during this time, was that Disney Channel didn't really know how to deal with Cartoons the way Nick and CN did. What I mean by that is that Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network typically allowed the creators to make whatever kind of show they wanted, and so long as its within S&P guidelines, they're free to do whatever they want in these shows. Disney Channel seemingly didn't work that way. Let's look at American Dragon: Jake Long for example. From what I've heard, Jake's annoying slang talk in Season 1 was mandated by the network, and was only toned down after Season 2's massive overhaul. The channel also insisted on some nonsensical restrictions such as not allowing Jake to breath fire, because that's something Dragons don't do /s, even wanting him to wear a Helmet when flying... I'm not kidding. Fortunately, many of these sillier requests didn't stick, but it did illustrate Disney's hesitance on letting creators have control over their show many times.

There's also two cartoons that were cancelled before they even aired because of this. The first was a show called Super Cooper, which followed a girl who'd get a rotating set of Super Powers every day. It didn't make it to air, because Disney Channel insisted on there being a moral at the end of every episode, something which the creator wasn't on board with. Then there's Katbot, the most notable piece of vaporware. It started off as a web series before Disney picked it up, and a lot of changes were planned to be made to the show. Not much is known about this one, but considering the trend, I think I can assume that the showrunners were sick of Disney's crap and bailed on production.

Things picked up a bit in the 2010s, where Disney hired many former Nick executives, and started giving creators more freedom with their work, which resulted in fan favorites like Gravity Falls, Star Vs. The Forces of Evil, DuckTales 2017, and The Owl House. I feel like the reason Disney Channel failed to make a dent in Nick or Cartoon Network in terms of animation at the time was because they didn't really understand why those channels were so popular with Cartoonists. They wanted too much control over the shows and many of them were kind of held back because of it.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Hello, Light Lucario. My 4th of July went pretty well. I just want to mention that today is my birthday. I got a couple of nice cards with a little birthday money. We'll be having another barbecue tonight with plenty of birthday cake. I hope you'll be able to wish me a Happy Birthday.
And we have a tie of 1 vote each. I'll be tiebreaker, and pick TOTS. Now we start the final matchup. It's between Muppet Babies 2018 and TOTS.

Dedicated to everyone who, in these hard pandemic times, try celebrating the Fourth of July while using merpeople as means of escape from all this ruckus.
Asa
Happy Birthday, America!

The best way to celebrate 4th of July