Did airing Total Drama Island change Cartoon Network?

Latest News & Videos

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
Did airing Total Drama Island change Cartoon Network in 2008? I have seen a couple of videoes make that argument:

Now I am not saying that TDI was a brilliant show or anything like that, but it did air at a time when Cartoon Network was in a bad spot (with all that CN real nonsense) and became one of the first PG cartoons to air on Cartoon Network, this is mainly due to Total Drama island being a Canadian cartoon aimed at pre-teens rather than little kids. Canada (at least English speaking Canada) can be similar to the US, but there are differences too, Canada is less socially conservative then the US, heck Canadian kids cartoons had gay people appear on them before the US did. Total Drama Island was successful on Cartoon Network, so that did make an argument for Cartoon Network making shows that can appeal to older kids.

Now one can argue that CN Real was doomed to fail regardless and Cartoon Network would eventually go back to quality animation that could appeal both to older and younger kids at the same time, like Adventure Time and Steven Universe. But that doesn't change the fact that Total Drama Island was a successful cartoon show in an era when Cartoon Network was turning away from animation and did somewhat push the envelope at the time, at least by US standards. Fresh TV eventually kinda overexposed the Total Drama franchise over time, there are only so many times you can parody reality TV with teen stereotypes and this show is a product of it's of time, its no wonder DramaRama went away from the Reality show gimmick.

Nov 20, 2019
Serbia
www.twitch.tv
I'd say it did. It's raunchy humor probably eased CN to pick up some risque shows like Adventure Time and Regular Show. It was also Continuity driven and many people will discuss who will get eliminated, who will win and who will get together. I think many CN shows from early 2010s were inspired by these elements. Like there were so many shows from that era that had raunchy humor, pushed the envelope to successful (and failed) results, heavily serialized stories, had teens as main characters and teens we're main characters and were rated PG. They had almost to all of these elements and results were like night and day, but still interesting. The only exception is Gumball because I don't think it falls into anything above.
I love this show and gotta thank it for bringing us many successful (and failed) CN cartoons in early 2010s. Whenever you like it or not, CN wouldn't be the same without it.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dudley

EdCNPowerpuffDrama

Oct 11, 2016
Yes. If you go to old Toonzone threads, you will find out how insanely popular TDI used to be, to the point where CN decided to aquire shows like 6teen and Stoked and air them alongside TDI. CN even flat out admitted in one of their 2008 promos that TDI is their "biggest hit". PanPizza (or RebelTaxi, however you prefer to call him) made good arguments as to why TDI may have been the reason shows like Regular Show and Adventure Time were picked up by the network and were able to get away with not so kid friendly content (which later on got censored in countries like mine, but that's a different discussion for another day). Its big success is why the network continued to treat the series super well till the Ridonculous Race, but not even that was treated that super badly, especially compared to other acquisitions like Justice League Action.

Btw it wasn't Fresh TV that overexposed TD. It's the companies like Teletoon and CN that kept renewing the show for more seasons, which isn't a surprise considering how popular it was. DramaRama also only happened because CN wanted a TD spin-off with the cast as little kids. The creator explained that the reason there aren't any more seasons of the original TD series is because reality shows (and TV in general) are dying down. This is likely the reason CN treated The Ridonculous Race the way they did too.

Reactions: 5YearsOnEastCoast
Nov 20, 2019
Serbia
www.twitch.tv
Yes. If you go to old Toonzone threads, you will find out how insanely popular TDI used to be, to the point where CN decided to aquire shows like 6teen and Stoked and air them alongside TDI. CN even flat out admitted in one of their 2008 promos that TDI is their "biggest hit". PanPizza (or RebelTaxi, however you prefer to call him) made good arguments as to why TDI may have been the reason shows like Regular Show and Adventure Time were picked up by the network and were able to get away with not so kid friendly content (which later on got censored in countries like mine, but that's a different discussion for another day). Its big success is why the network continued to treat the series super well till the Ridonculous Race, but not even that was treated that super badly, especially compared to other acquisitions like Justice League Action.

Btw it wasn't Fresh TV that overexposed TD. It's the companies like Teletoon and CN that kept renewing the show for more seasons, which isn't a surprise considering how popular it was. DramaRama also only happened because CN wanted a TD spin-off with the cast as little kids. The creator explained that the reason there aren't any more seasons of the original TD series is because reality shows (and TV in general) are dying down. This is likely the reason CN treated The Ridonculous Race the way they did too.
I agree. TD was in fact more popular than almost all shows CN originals and acquired aired from late 1990s and 2000s. Yes even more so than ones like Eds, Dexter's Laboratory, Courage, Foster's and C:KND. It has such a huge amount of fanart, fanvideos, Amvs and talkback threads that it is insane for a non CN in-house show. Only PPG, Teen Titans and Ben 10 were more popular than TD at that time.

Asa

Jul 5, 2016
Glendale, California
The creator explained that the reason there aren't any more seasons of the original TD series is because reality shows (and TV in general) are dying down. This is likely the reason CN treated The Ridonculous Race the way they did too.
This confirms that chances for a new season of the original TD happening on CN are low. Netflix might be the only way for the show to get picked up so it can get either another season of the original, another season of Ridonculous Race, or a reunion/special that everyone would be fine with.

Nov 20, 2019
Serbia
www.twitch.tv
This confirms that chances for a new season of the original TD happening on CN are low. Netflix might be the only way for the show to get picked up so it can get either another season of the original, another season of Ridonculous Race, or a reunion/special that everyone would be fine with.
While there is some chance for Netflix to pick it up, I also fear that all episodes will be released in one go. TD doesn't work for format like that. There isn't anticipation on who will go next if all episodes are released at once and a lot of people (not everyone though) will probably just watch the finale to see who is the final two.

Last edited:

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
I think the original Total Dramal series was a product of a particular time, when reality TV was still popular, with the decline of reality TV, the themes of the original series don't work as well. I do not think there is much point in bringing back the original Total Drama series. I am not surprised DramaRama went away from the reality TV show gimmick.

Nov 20, 2019
Serbia
www.twitch.tv
I think the original Total Dramal series was a product of a particular time, when reality TV was still popular, with the decline of reality TV, the themes of the original series don't work as well. I do not think there is much point in bringing back the original Total Drama series. I am not surprised DramaRama went away from the reality TV show gimmick.
Well I think there is a point to bring it back, even for just 1 season. A lot of plotlines are left on cliffhanger (status between Owen and Izzy, stuff between Gwen, Courtney and Scott, plotline between Dave and Sky etc). Also Dakota and Ezekiel to turn back to normal (former is a mutant while latter is some kind of zombie). Also there are NINE contestants whose life status is unknown and can be even consider dead (Lindsay, Duncan, Courtney, Sierra, Lightning, Scott, Jo, Sam and bald Dave). And they have to appear so we don't have to think that they are dead. It would be depressing that last time we saw them, they were floating in farts filled balloons towards the sun or in Dave's case stranded on the island alone to get killed by a robot bear(this was in fact a LAST SCENE from the original show). And there are contestants who never had a second chance to complete but offer potential like Eva, twins (Amy and Sammy), Dawn, Brick and so on.

Edit: When I think about, they will actually need at least 2 seasons (both with 26 half hour episodes) to finish abandoned plotlines and giving underused characters to develop.

Last edited:
Reactions: Asa

Asa

Jul 5, 2016
Glendale, California
I dunno how many seasons Dramarama will get, maybe the show will get canceled by season 2 or the show gets one more season (many Teletoon shows tend to end after two/three seasons).

SpaceCowboy

Mar 2, 2002
USA
Visit site
I think it helped keep CN fresh for awhile. It was also better for the show itself that it didn't get picked up by MTV, which was where teen-themed shows like this usually went (to die). It would have most likely ended up as a one-season oddity over there, like Clone High.

Last edited:

Perla Magica

Digital Love
Jul 29, 2016
Poland (Europe)
I dunno how many seasons Dramarama will get, maybe the show will get canceled by season 2 or the show gets one more season (many Teletoon shows tend to end after two/three seasons).
Only time will tell, I have no idea either how many seasons DramaRama will have.

EdCNPowerpuffDrama

Oct 11, 2016
Not necessarily for the better.
As others have already pointed out, shows like Adventure Time or Regular Show probably wouldn't have been the same without TDI. Whether you liked those shows or not, you can't argue that they weren't popular. Adventure Time especially became one of the most popular shows that the network ever produced. So i'd say that yes, TDI did change the network for the better.

Reactions: ShadowBeast

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
May 18, 2006
East Northport
It should be pointed out the reason that Cartoon Network even got Adventure Time in the first place is because Nickelodeon passed over it. And it's not because Nickelodeon didn't think the show had any potential as they wanted it but they wanted to cut down the edge and story that Pendelton Ward wanted to put in the series. They wanted a more strictly Y7 take on the material that would be more generally palatable as a Nicktoon they ran around that time which yeah Ward refused to do thus why he backed out working with them. CN on the other hand though having some more minor issues (which Ward was willing to work with) was fine with AT as he pitched it and yeah that's how Cartoon Network got that show. And yeah it was the success of both Adventure Time and Regular Show that made Cartoon Network start pumping out beloved and super successful original series once again and even years after leaving the network their effects can still be felt by a lot of shows currently on the channel.

And of course that's really because of Total Drama Island being such a big hit back in 2008 that made CN more comftortable with a "middleground" level of programming. Something more risque then their regular shows that wasn't just something to watch on Adult Swim. And granted yeah TDI was also censored but it was clear a lot of it's edge was kept and that edge is what people ate up along with yeah the continuity nature of the show due to it being a reality TV spoof thus you kind of had to play the whole thing in order for it to work. Granted Total Drama as a concept is something that can't be run into the ground like reality TV since it's easy to find real people to put on TV and create drama through their interactions in the editing but it's a lot harder to keep constantly having to create characters to do that and keep putting them in wackier situations in animation though yeah Total Dramarama's odd level of success shows there's still somewhat a market for these characters so... the brand is still going on in some form.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
www.411mania.com
As others have already pointed out, shows like Adventure Time or Regular Show probably wouldn't have been the same without TDI. Whether you liked those shows or not, you can't argue that they weren't popular. Adventure Time especially became one of the most popular shows that the network ever produced. So i'd say that yes, TDI did change the network for the better.
As I said, not necessarily for the better.

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Justice League meets Game Of Thrones.
So, we have a tie here, with "Into The Hundred Acre Wood" and "Quack Pack" getting 2 votes each. I'll be tiebreaker. I pick Quack Pack. Now we have the last matchup of round 4, which is between "Phineas And Ferb: Star Wars" and "Scooby Doo And Batman: The Brave And The Bold".

The History of Comedy Central goes back to November 15, 1989 when HBO's (Time, Inc/Time Warner's) "The Comedy Channel" launched, and on April 1, 1990, Viacom launched "HA! TV Comedy Network" The two channels would merge on April 1, 1991 to form "CTV: The Comedy Network", then on June 1, 1991 it was renamed to Comedy Central, with TimeWarner and Viacom having both a 50% share.
Great Product Placements in American Syndicated Television part 1357: A&W (however the cream soda), season 4 of Baywatch:
Apparently Mordecai has an account on Discord.