DHX (probably) lost international rights to "Arthur"-related productions

Latest News & Videos

Moleoman

Jan 22, 2011
Poland
I'm not sure whether to tell about it in a new thread or in a "Arthur" related one but I've just noticed that the show (along with specials and "Postcards from Buster" spin-off) has disappeared from DHX's screener sites. I remember they were still available there few weeks ago. Here's what remained of them (they now redirect to login sites, unlike shows still available in the screener site):
DHX Media - Login ("Arthur")
DHX Media - Login ("Arthur's Perfect Christmas")
DHX Media - Login ("Postcards from Buster", for comparison here's how the site looked before the purge: DHX Media - Catalog - "Postcards from Buster")

The same productions (with exception to "Postcards from Buster") have also disappeared from DHX's PDF 2018/2019 catalogue (along with "It's a Big Big World", "The Get Along Gang", "Rainbow Brite", "Tots TV", "The Adrenaline Project", "Flying with Byrd" and the 1997 "Lassie" series) published in October 2018: http://content.dhxmedia.com/uploads/2018/10/DHX-Catalogue-2018-2019_Final_Med-Res.pdf

From the evidence above I presume that DHX Media's rights to the first 185 half-hour episodes of "Arthur" (i.e. the ones co-produced by Cinar/Cookie Jar) have recently expired (though some of these episodes are still available on Wildbrain's French and Spanish YT channels).

I consider this situation to be bad news, since PBS fails (or more likely barely cares) in exporting outside the US the children series they own worldwide distribution rights. In fact, out of five series listed on PBS International's site (http://pbsinternational.org/programs/childrens/), we (Poland) got only "Word World" (and just due to France Television Distribution having distributed the series in Europe at one point). Luckily, 9 Story still distributes the episodes of "Arthur" they co-produced (Seasons 16-19). By the way, it's not that I'm a fan of the show.

Moleoman

Jan 22, 2011
Poland
Either this or DHX's rights to the series (which they inherited after acquiring Cookie Jar) happened to temporal. According to a Kidscreen article WGBH has been working with Cinar on "Arthur" since 1994 (25 years ago): PBS Special Report: Program profiles: Arthur: An adaptation that paid off

Nevertheless, PBS International now distributes Cinar/Cookie Jar episodes as well according to their Summer newsletter (see page 18 - notice how the episode count increased from 14 to 200 half hour episodes): http://pbsinternational.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/PBSi-Summer-Newsletter-Linked.pdf

Also, this is not the first or the last series DHX lost rights to - according to their old catalogues and sites they no longer have distribution rights to the following productions (some titles may be familiar to you, but others not exactly):
2014/2015: "Danger Rangers", "Scan2Go"
2015/2016: "My Spy Family", "Revenge of the Land", "Sally Marshall is Not an Alien", "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" (anime + specials)
2016/2017: "Ha Ha Hairies", "Dr. Xargle", "In Search of Santa"
2017/2018: Air Bud Entertainment library (incl. "Air Bud" movies, "Air Buddies", "The Duke", "Pup Star", etc.), "Full Out"
2018/2019: "The Adrenaline Project", "Arthur" (+ 2 specials), "Flying with Byrd", "The Get Along Gang", "It's a Big, Big World", "Lassie" (1997, still listed on DHX's screener site at the tie of writing), "Peanuts by Schulz" shorts, "Postcards from Buster" (not listed on DHX screener's site, but still featured in the PDF catalogue), "Rainbow Brite", "Tots TV".

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Why did SDCC have to happen during the same weekend as Vinesauce Is Hope?
With how widespread the Joy-Con analog drift issue is, I'm honestly surprised I haven't had that issue yet. I've had my console for almost two years.
Is Nick doing anything for SDCC
I hope Trevor Devall is in the PPG 2016 reboot.