DHX Media is Up for Sale

Julayla_Beryl

To me personally, I really hope that no matter who owns it will actually DO start going to release the entire shows of certain old 90s media like Dreamstone or Legends of Treasure Island for example. But that's just my thought.

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
The headline's juicy, but having listened to the financial presentation this was announced in, I think it's being overplayed. I never got the impression management is seriously considering a total sale of the company. The company hasn't filed for bankruptcy. They're in a rough position where they had a rough year and investors have lost confidence that they'll be able to pay off their debts (all of those purchases add up). They're doing a review to gauge the value of their business, and while their legalese does state it's possible the company is sold in its entirety, it also states it's possible they decide to sell nothing.

There's been some speculation that they might sell off their TV channels. The problem is that the CRTC would require a Canadian company to buy them. Thanks to DHX gobbling up almost every midsize children's company in this country, there aren't many options left. Who has the money and the library to operate three separate channels? Wow Unlimited has already entered in a partnership to buy one of Bell's TV channels. 9Story doesn't have the catalog. Blue Ant might have the library ... in a decade. Corus really doesn't need more TV channels. Everyone else is in the service animation industry or makes ultra low budget live action shows for TVO.

Again, I don't think there were reports that Lionsgate was going to buy Hasbro but I do know that there were reports for a Hasbro/Dreamworks Animation merger which was scrapped due to the poor box office performance of Penguins of Madagascar.

Hasbro is desperate to get into the movie business. The Lionsgate merger as almost a thing.

Hasbro x DreamWorks ended because Disney threatened to take their licenses from Hasbro. Star Wars, Marvel and Disney Princesses are worth a lot more than Shrek and How To Train Your Dragon.

I just realized that were some articles about Entertainment One buying DHX Media. Only for the takeover to be scrapped for reasons. Maybe this time they could be a potential buyer.

This happened nearly a decade ago before DHX had even absorbed Cookie Jar. eOne is big, but I don't know if they want or can afford this.

Also, they'll have to send off My Little Pony to Hasbro's own studio to avoid competition or making something they have no equity in.

That'll happen regardless of DHX's fate. It seems Hasbro's goal is to have Boulder Media do all of their animated productions going forward.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Hasbro is desperate to get into the movie business. The Lionsgate merger as almost a thing.

I do know that Hasbro has officially announced their own film studio, which is Allspark Pictures and they have been involved in film adaptations of their toylines from Paramount and Universal.

Hasbro x Dreamworks ended because Disney threatened to take their licenses from Hasbro. Star Wars, Marvel and Disney Princesses are worth a lot more than Shrek and How To Train Your Dragon.

That and The Penguins of Madagascar didn't do well at the box office.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Mc123

There's been some speculation that they might sell off their TV channels. The problem is that the CRTC would require a Canadian company to buy them. Thanks to DHX gobbling up almost every midsize children's company in this country, there aren't many options left. Who has the money and the library to operate three separate channels? Wow Unlimited has already entered in a partnership to buy one of Bell's TV channels. 9Story doesn't have the catalog. Blue Ant might have the library ... in a decade. Corus really doesn't need more TV channels. Everyone else is in the service animation industry or makes ultra low budget live action shows for TVO.

One company that could probably buy these channels could be CBC. It could give them a bigger exposure in the English television market. Plus, The French channel, Radio-Canada has a few programs that CHRGD also airs. Let not forget that DHX's fourth channel, Te

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
CBC likely doesn't have the money to run multiple children's channels and would draw some negative attention if they bought some formerly private businesses.

DHX has just recently, and silently, sold the company's mobile gaming division. The buyer was one of the co-founders behind Nerd Corps and they still plan on working with DHX. Not a major deal as their interactive division only employed 15 people.

Way

After reading these posts I understand I know nothing about the industry. When the talk of selling DHX came up immediately thought of Amazon or Netflix(just lost Disney).
Are these not possible buyers?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Starting next month, I will be going back to using Magical Doremi profile pics for a while, because I want to honor the first magical girl series I ever watched.
Streaker Prower wrote on Vuxovich's profile.
What would happen if FUNimation did continue to use Ocean Media for Dragon Ball Z And Probably the Original Dragon Ball, GT, Kai, Super and the Video Games

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.

Featured Posts