"Detective Pikachu" (live-action Pokemon) Movie Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
3,434 3
In a Dream World
That trailer was a lot better than I expected. It is still weird to see hyper realistic Pokemon. I think it works a bit better for some of the Pokemon like Pikachu since the detail for the fur stands out nicely, but a Charizard covered in scales just seems so weird to me. Not really bad weird, but just different kind of weird if that makes sense. The expressions for Pikachu were really nice and it surprisingly wasn't strange to hear Ryan Reynolds' voicing him either.

It looks interesting and it does make me want to get the Detective Pikachu game before the movie comes out. I still haven't gotten it yet. I don't know if I'll see the movie in theaters. It's a possibility, but I might wait until some reviews come out or how the general response to the movie is.

Gold Guy

Ride On
Staff member
Dec 14, 2008
Ratings
2,857 7
New York City
Not what I expected, but I like the looks of it so far, and Reynolds seems a good fit for this Pikachu.

Charizard is the only one who stood out in a bad way, but I'm sure they're still working on it.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
May 18, 2006
Ratings
987 1
East Northport
I admit I haven't played the Detective Pikachu games but I read about them and it's pretty obvious they aren't going with Detective Pikachu's persona from that title. Which is fine since yeah this one also apparently does use electricity so despite using the title and plot elements it's a different character but I'm fine with that. Honestly Reynolds in the role even in the trailer works and though he is being cute and smary it isn't just Deadpool esque delivery and is trying for a different kind of character. I'm not sold as much on Tim yet though the bit with the stapler and the interrogation with Mr. Mime were funny and the world actually looks very nice and seems like they are going to be very upfront with how they use Pokemon which is good. Also unlike a lot of "talking animal" movies especially again Showdogs I actually like how this time around it's just one guy who can hear Pikachu's voice in a world where Pokemon generally don't talk. So you can actually have scenes of the person not understanding what the other is saying and it actually making sense and not coming off as infuriating like a lot of other movies where there is more of a language barrier yet you can hear two sides just the same. The plot itself doesn't look anything that great but again sort of based on the game and hey this sold a lot better as a movie then I was expecting so have to give points on that alone.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
3,434 3
In a Dream World
Considering how many anime or video game based movies get stuck in development and never get off the ground, I'm surprised that this managed to happen too. Even with Pokemon being as huge as it is, I wasn't sure if it would actually happen, but here we are with a trailer. It is kind of amazing in a way.

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
Ratings
2,800 29
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
Ya know, this will be Bayformers to me. A movie based on a popular property from my childhood that will be done in live-action with questionably good CG, gags that aren’t suitable for kids, that will do good at the box office (well hopefully, Avengers 4 comes out the week before), and will be hated by critics who don’t get the franchise at all.
Whether Detective Pikachu will be better than Bayformers remains to be seen (it already looks better to me!), but I would love it if this becomes a new film franchise. There’s a lot they could do with it. Adapt arcs from the games or even do remakes of the anime films! I wouldn’t even mind if they keep Tim and DP as main characters who travel the world investigating, and meet other Pokémon trainers along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Mar 8, 2008
Ratings
1,324 4
Los Angeles, CA
www.411mania.com
I'm not sure if this will be a good movie or not yet, but I will probably go see it.

That said, not a fan of talking Pikachu voiced by Ryan Reynolds. Detective Pikachu just seems like a weird place to start for a first movie. It's not "I want to be the very best" and "Gotta Catch Em All."

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
Jul 29, 2017
Ratings
390 10
I'm not sure if this will be a good movie or not yet, but I will probably go see it.

That said, not a fan of talking Pikachu voiced by Ryan Reynolds. Detective Pikachu just seems like a weird place to start for a first movie. It's not "I want to be the very best" and "Gotta Catch Em All."
Maybe there will be Easter Eggs in the movie referencing the Pokemon anime.

Jul 14, 2010
Ratings
UK
Ya know, this will be Bayformers to me. A movie based on a popular property from my childhood that will be done in live-action with questionably good CG, gags that aren’t suitable for kids, that will do good at the box office (well hopefully, Avengers 4 comes out the week before), and will be hated by critics who don’t get the franchise at all.
Whether Detective Pikachu will be better than Bayformers remains to be seen (it already looks better to me!), but I would love it if this becomes a new film franchise.
As someone who grew up on Transformers and didn’t really on Pokemon*, I think this looks far better than the Transformers films. For a start, while I acknowledge the character designs might be creepy to some, I think they’ve tried really hard to have character designs which are faithful to the characters while still scanning as belonging in a live action film. That certainly wasn’t the case with Transformers, and the designs were also eyesores in their own right IMO (although I don't deny the CGI was incredible and deserved an Oscar). In general, there seems to be a love for the world that I have rarely sensed in the TF films. I just hope they don’t go overboard with the “gags that aren’t suitable for kids”; the odd innuendo is OK, but the kind of sex humour the first couple of TF films had was embarrassing and a chore to sit through, not to mention a baffling choice for a movie based on a toyline, and I never understood why they went for it and why audiences didn’t seem to mind it in the first movie.

That said I do have some hopes for Bumblebee, so this post could be redundant in six weeks from now!

*I learned to appreciate it later; I didn’t have a Game Boy until my late teens, and I was the wrong age or maybe just in the wrong mindset to get into the anime by itself. I did add Pokemon Stadium to my wishlist when it came out, but never got it and having played it recently while fun it’s probably just as well that wasn’t my entry point.